What's new

Can I assume I need a Radeon/GeForce?

omnislash124

well, a picture this bad probably means I need either a Radeon or a GeForce.....now herein lies the question....which one...?

Clements

I think he means whether to get a Radeon or a GeForce graphics card, and you're right, you need a Radeon or GeForce for Dolphin really, as other stuff like integrated graphics do not have an adequate feature set to emulate the GC's graphics.

Well, first you have to find out what you computer can use. If you have an AGP slot, then get an AGP card; if you have a 16x PCI Express slot, then get a PCI Express card (not likely); or if you don't have either then it's PCI only.

Once you have this sorted, then you need to concentrate of card features. Dolphin makes use of shaders, so I'd strongly recommend a Direct X 9.0 compliant card. This means a Radeon 9500 or better, or GeForceFX 5200 or better.

As for ATi Vs. GeForce, it really doesn't matter which you go for for Dolphin as of right now. Both types of cards will display the graphics correctly, as they are fairly evenly matched.

i would recommend RADEON 9700, theinquirer.net says it's the best card for your dollar at the moment. i think the documentation recommends at least 9500 for ATI.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
DOGG said:
It would be a waste of time for you to upgrade your card just to get 2fps

Haha. Yeah right. With that videocard, he'd get a 250% increase (likely) with upgrading to a Radeon 9000 Pro alone. Though I wouldn't go all out (your processor will bottleneck any new card you get), a Radeon 9700 Pro would do great. Or a (fairly) new GeForce card would do fine as well.
- Modem

yaustar

You can always get a 9500 and soft mod it to a 9700 .. wont be as fast as a true 9700 but close and cheap :p

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Kinda. Though it would greatly improve dolphin (it's still not even working all that great as is, as it will likely take another couple years to get it anywhere near PJ64/1964 is to N64 as Dolphin is to Gamecube, it will improve any other game released within the past few years by a lot, if you do play any other games.
- Modem

OP
O

omnislash124

No, the Radeon isn't just for Dolphin, but I've been wanting one for a while now, and this is just one more reason to get one.....So....graphics wise, would I get graphics like the ones in the Shots Thread?

DOGG

I diaagree. His computer isnt the best. So a 9600 would be more than sufficient. Otherwise his CPU would be holding back his gfx card and it would be a waste of money