What's new

Can a lack of dedicated sound card cause emulation problems/slowdowns?

Sky Render

Sojourner
Hello everyone.

Firstly I apologize if this question is answered elsewhere but I've searched and haven't found it.

I have an intergrated sound card in my computer and it's never given me any problems. I've never felt the need to purchase a dedicated sound card because all I do is listen to music, as opposed to recording or editing sounds.

So my question is: Can a lack of dedicated sound card cause emulation problems/slowdowns?

The reason I'm asking is because in some games, such as Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, regardless of what audio plugin I use, the sound skips and breaks. Something that's really strange is that Jabo's direct sound 1.6 plugin actually acts as a mute plugin- I get no sound whatsoever with that plugin, whether or not I change the volume level or click for it to sync the audio to the game. Could this be due to a lack of a soundcard?

Thanks for the help! (My computer's specs should be in my profile/signature if it helps.)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no, its due to lack of drivers. i think something is wrong with your system if you get no sound with jabo's. jabo's is the only plugin (supplied) that gives clean audio.
reinstall latest audio drivers and directx.
you don't say what your audio hardware is but there are no known issues anyway.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sky Render

Sojourner
Do you know what drivers I might need? Any idea? I'm running a Dell Dimension 8400. (I didn't pay for it, so hold your tongues.
swtlaugh.gif
)

RottNKorpse

Viva la PJ64!
I would also like to know what drivers as I have the latest DirectX but I get no sound on any game. I am using all Jabo plugins but still no sound.