What's new

Camcorder to PC.

Unusual_Rex

珍しい&#2957
Is there any way I can hook my video camera to my PC? I have a Samsung SCL860 NTSC 8mm CAMCORDER HI8. Thanks! (BTW it takes tapes not CDs.)

Flash

Technomage
If it's Hi8 then you need a video capure card or good TV tuner with video input. And you have to wait 45-60 minutes until your video will be saved to hard drive.
It will be really better to buy MiniDV camera, it uses FireWire which is very fast (400mbps = 50Mb/s) and video is already in MPEG-2 so it's a lot easier to edit or write to DVD.

BoggyB

If your camera has firewire then use that (you may need to get a firewire card, but they're pretty cheap). If not, then you'll need a suitable capture card for your computer. Some graphics cards have video capture - look for one with "VIVO". Same goes for some TV cards - if they have a phono socket (usually yellow) then they should be able to capture video from your camcorder.

For capturing, there are several programs you could use. Virtualdub's pretty good, and lets you do some post-processing on the video as well. Depending on the system, you'll either be able to use the computer to control the camera (only if connected through firewire), otherwise you'll have to start the capture on the computer and then start the camera playing (and then later trim the first few frames). To capture sound, use the line-in input on your sound card with a suitable adapter, *not* the microphone input. If you're using firewire then that may carry sound as well.

Flash

Technomage
BoggyB said:
If your camera has firewire then use that (you may need to get a firewire card, but they're pretty cheap). If not, then you'll need a suitable capture card for your computer. Some graphics cards have video capture - look for one with "VIVO".
1) There's no FireWire in Hi8 as it's some sort of S-VHS with different tape format, all outputs are analog.

2) Most of ViVo cards suck badly at video capture, if you try to use full PAL or NTSC resolution you can get skipped frames :(

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Flash said:
2) Most of ViVo cards suck badly at video capture, if you try to use full PAL or NTSC resolution you can get skipped frames :(
Sad to say that is true. My ViVo card is horrible, I used it for one movie and not any more!!