What's new

Buh

KingTom

aka "Passion"
gotta big ole friggin problem

the sound on my computer does not work. i get garbage noise (like your TV doesn't work) on all sounds
but the CD player works fine
Any thoughts?

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
I think that your sound card went bonkers... CD players don't output through the soundcard afaik, although I might be talking out of my ass.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
DuDe said:
I think that your sound card went bonkers... CD players don't output through the soundcard afaik, although I might be talking out of my ass.

Well, in most cases, the cd audio merely passes through the sound card, but its just analog, and the sound card doesn't even know whether or not the cd audio is actualy playing, so the same thing applies. The only exception to this is if you are using a digital interface to connect your cd audio to your sound card, but most OEMs don't do this (even though all newer sound cards and cd/dvd drives support it).

Flash

Technomage
KingTom said:
but how do i fix it? :baaa:
First, check device settings in Control Panel/System.
If you'll see exclamation sign - you have conflicts, try to uninstall drivers, move card to other slot and reinstall drivers.

If there's no signs - try to play midi file - if it's ok, then your card is not
dead, just try to reinstall card.

If you still hear only static - test your card on any other computer.

If it works - you have conflicts, just try to clean all sound related settings in registry and reinstall drivers.
If it doesn't help - reinstall Windows.

If your card doesn't work on any computer - just throw it away and buy a new one.

OP
KingTom

KingTom

aka "Passion"
midi test yields same result,
no conflicts, computer detects nothing wrong
i'll try testing card on other computers
i like that sound card
before it got stupid on me