What's new

Bugs in new ported rice plugin

ciruZ

Hi Hacktarux,

first, thanks for porting this nice plugin. But it has some issues:
- You can't play on anything else than 640x480, the window is always only that big. And in fullscreen, it's always switched to 640x480, either. This way, you only see a part of the game when you change the resolution.
- There seems to be some strange flickering in Bomberman Hero, that wasn't there with Rice 5.x. Maybe in other games, too, but I haven't tested it.

That's what I found so far, and since you haven't released the source for this plugin, I couldn't do anything :(.

// Edit:
Even more: Just enabling "Load hi-res textures if available" and "Dump textures to files" and opening a game crashes the whole emulator with signal 11.

// Edit 2:
It flickers in other games, too. For example, in some levels in Kirby 64 after playing a while. Some textures just get black in one moment and the other moment they are normal again.

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I know some games are flickering with this version, i never found why. I've decided to release it anyway because some games don't have any problem and you can use all unique features of this plugin like hi resolution texture packs...

I remember this resolution problem but i though i fixed it... gotta check it again

OP
ciruZ

ciruZ

Well, I could use hires textures if it wouldn't segfault :)
Is there no way you can release the source? Can't you get rice's permission to do so?

// Edit:
Setting OpenGL -> Depth Buffer to 32-bit also makes the plugin crash with signal 11.

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Well, source release is up to rice, as soon as he wants to, i can release it. For hires textures, be sure the folder name is the same as the name in the rom header (usually it's upper case) Windows doesn't care about the filename cases but on linux we have to check that.

Depth buffer proababy crashes because your video card doesn't support it, i don't know how to check that.

OP
ciruZ

ciruZ

Well, it also crashes on games where I have no hires textures at all when I enable it. The only game where I have hires textures is Zelda OoT, and the directory for that is uppercase.
For depth buffer: Hm, I have a GF4 Ti with the NVidia 7676 driver. Should be enough, shouldn't it?
// Edit: Maybe you can build the plugin with -g? I can give you further information than. Or is rice also against that, because I could see some parts of the source?

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
ciruZ said:
Well, it also crashes on games where I have no hires textures at all when I enable it. The only game where I have hires textures is Zelda OoT, and the directory for that is uppercase.
For depth buffer: Hm, I have a GF4 Ti with the NVidia 7676 driver. Should be enough, shouldn't it?
// Edit: Maybe you can build the plugin with -g? I can give you further information than. Or is rice also against that, because I could see some parts of the source?

I'm not sure but afaik your video vard only support 24bit depth buffer. Not a big problem though, i don't think you can see any difference.

Concerning the debug build, send me your mail address in pm, we'll try the -g build and see if we can figure out what's wrong. BTW, what kind of install are you using ? multi-user or not ?

OP
ciruZ

ciruZ

Just extracted the binary tgz into my emulation directory and started it. And created a dir plugin/texture_dump and put the "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" dir into there.
Btw, you got PM.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
on linux, the plugin folder isn't plugin/ but plugins/
and to use hires texture, you don't have to create "texture_dump" folder but "hires_texture" folder...

Try this and report the result, if it still doesn't work i'll send you a debug binary.

beshwa

HiRes textures load but slow

I've got Federelli textures loading, but it's very very slow. I've got a Athlon64 3000+ and a Nvidia GT6600. Resolution doesn't seem to matter. Any suggestions?

aminalshmu

linux gaming enthusiast
i am at a complete loss as to how to get federelli's texture pack for ocarina of time working. i've moved the "hires_texture" folder to just about every conceivable place relating to mupen64... i can't seem to get the textures to load. tell me beshwa, how did you manage this feat? or are you running windows :( hehe

everything else is working great though. hacktarux rules.

OP
ciruZ

ciruZ

Hacktarux said:
on linux, the plugin folder isn't plugin/ but plugins/
and to use hires texture, you don't have to create "texture_dump" folder but "hires_texture" folder...

Try this and report the result, if it still doesn't work i'll send you a debug binary.
Well, maybe the readme should be changed then? ;)
Anyway, after doing those changes, it loads for hours and crashes then.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
The plugin folder is wrong in the readme but it also mentions both texture_dump and hires_texture folders. Both exists but they are used for different things :)

Crashing after hours ? interesting... i guess you saved before reaching that point, is it still crashing after restarting the emulator ? It's harder to know but it'd be interesting to know if it happens with other plugins too.

OP
ciruZ

ciruZ

No, you understood me wrong. It loads from the harddisk for hours, then a black window with a size of 640x480 shows up for a second and then it crashes. So you don't play a single second. It's a plugin related problem, since the plugin exits with signal 11. Restarting the emulator doesn't help since it always happens.

beshwa

aminalshmu,

I'm running Debian (with some packages from Ubuntu), no Windows.
here's how things look for me:

in my mupen directory, I have a plugins directory.
then in there I have hires_texture with zelda OOT textures:

$ ls plugins/hires_texture/
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA/

This matches the name of the ROM when it's loading. You should see something like this in the terminal when mupen loads the ROM:

name: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

If I use Rice's plugin and select load hi-res textures, I also see

InitExternalTextures

in the stuff mupen prints to the terminal. You might try running it within a terminal if you aren't so that you can have a better idea of what's going on.
The textures are loading and look great but performance is terrible.

aminalshmu

linux gaming enthusiast
a-ha. should have realized it on my own... but case sensitivity was the issue. my "The Legend of Zelda" folder was not all-cap'd, as it should be to match the rom name.

they do load, and do look great. and do run SLOW. at least the intro screen and opening sequence are choppy, keeping at a constant ~20 VI/s.

this is with a pentium 4 2.8ghz, 800FSB, 512mb DDR in dual-channel, geforce FX5200.

thanks beshwa.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
debug version is useless, all problems reported so far are only bad folders names, i'll repeat it here.

In order to get hi resolution textures working with rice's plugin you should:

- create a hires_texture/ folder inside your plugins/ folder.
- put your textures in a subfolder of hires_texture/ that has the name of the ROM exactly written like in the ROM header : it's usually UPPER CASE.

animalshmu: is it running faster when using normal textures ? I have a computer similar to yours except the video card that's faster and it's running fullspeed (AMD64 3000+, 512 Mb of RAM, GeForce6600 GT).

OP
ciruZ

ciruZ

Hacktarux: I already said it:
Anyway, after doing those changes, it loads for hours and crashes then.
The directory names are correct, I double-checked that. The files are in plugins/hires_texture/THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, so it's correct. The one with the missing uppercase was aminalshmu. I have uppercase and it still crashes with signal 11. So a debug version is definitely _NOT_ useless! ;)

Last edited:

aminalshmu

linux gaming enthusiast
Code:
rom size: 33554432 bytes (or 32 Mb or 256 Megabits)
file found
rom size: 33554432 bytes (or 32 Mb or 256 Megabits)
rom loaded succesfully
80 37 12 40
ClockRate=f
Version:1449
CRC: 693ba2ae b7f14e9f
name: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA 
Manufacturer: 43000000
Cartridge_ID: 4c5a
Country Code : 245
size: 4096
PC= 80000400
md5 code:57A9719AD547C516342E1A15D5C28C3D
eeprom type:0
init timer!
memory initialized
[blight's SDL input plugin]: version 0.0.10 initialized.
InitExternalTextures
Initializing OpenGL Device Context
(II) Initializing SDL video subsystem...
(II) Getting video info...
(II) Setting video mode 1024x768...
NVIDIA Corporation - GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE2 : 2.0.0 NVIDIA 76.76
demarrage r4300
dynamic recompiler
PC=80005364:8d480000
reg[ 0]:       0       0        reg[16]:       0       0
reg[ 1]:fffffffffffffffe        reg[17]:ffffffff80127dd0
reg[ 2]:ffffffffffffffff        reg[18]:ffffffff80125f00
reg[ 3]:ffffffff80125f00        reg[19]:       0       4
reg[ 4]:ffffffff801225d0        reg[20]:ffffffff801215bc
reg[ 5]:ffffffff80120958        reg[21]:ffffffff80121548
reg[ 6]:       0       0        reg[22]:       0       0
reg[ 7]:ffffffff80125f00        reg[23]:       0       0
reg[ 8]:       02000ff01        reg[24]:       0       0
reg[ 9]:       02000ff00        reg[25]:ffffffff80127b98
reg[10]:ffffffff800068e0        reg[26]:ffffffffa430000c
reg[11]:       0    ff00        reg[27]:       0     aaa
reg[12]:       0      4d        reg[28]:       0       0
reg[13]:ffffffff801b0e10        reg[29]:ffffffff80120910
reg[14]:ffffffff80127bf0        reg[30]:       0       0
reg[15]:       0       0        reg[31]:ffffffff80002210
hi:       0       0        lo:       0       1
apr� 68674694 instructions soit 417e486
[blight's SDL input plugin]: Closing...

happens in my compiled mupen64 and the distributed binary. nvidia drivers v. 7676
and yes, it runs at flawless speed without hires textures loading. it never drops below 60vi/s, but it goes to about one third the speed once i enable hires tex. i wonder what the problem could be? too bad rice doesn't want to give out the source to his plugin :)

Last edited:
OP
ciruZ

ciruZ

too bad rice doesn't want to give out the source to his plugin
Yeah, if the source would be open, I would fix the resolution bug and the segfault bug (again: The directory structure is ok, so it's definitely a bug). That way, the plugin could grow better and better, because many people can write patches for it then. Maybe we should just ask rice if there are any good reasons for not releasing the source?