What's new

Bring out the Phantom!

smegforbrain

So, the first of the next generation consoles has been "introduced" - the Phantom.

From Cinescape's website:

"The Phantom has been revealed. The first video game console from Infinium Labs has finally been unveiled and looks to be just as powerful as the developers claimed. The console will run on a Windows OS embedded into the system and come with a 3.0 ghz processor and 256 MB of Ram. It will also have numerous USB ports along with four controller slots, a wireless mouse and keyboard, and a 100+ gigabyte storage center. The system will be fully online, allowing users to play games on a "try before you buy" basis, game rental and purchasing all on demand."

I'm not sure what to make of it. I mean, consoles have been semi-computer for like forever, and the XBox really pushed the envelope, but this new system will be better than my computer.
All it would need is a monitor. :p

Add this one into the mix of what is to come from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, and I'm given to wonder whether the bubble just might burst in terms of what the market can bear.
Already, Sony is far and away the tops, and the other two aren't selling a whole lot.

OP
smegforbrain

smegforbrain

Well, it may be old, but I don't recall reading any hard figures on what this machine would look like or have in hardware or anything.

Besides, one of the threads said nothing more than this was a hoax, so...

OP
smegforbrain

smegforbrain

pj64er said:
I coulda swore this thing was announced AND cancelled a while ago...

Might've been announced and I just missed it.

But apparently not cancelled. Either that, or some other websites, like myself, are a little late getting to the party. :)

Trotterwatch

The console will run on a Windows OS embedded into the system and come with a 3.0 ghz processor and 256 MB of Ram
+ S3 Pro Savage graphics-------
perhaps? I'm gonna remain sceptical until I've seen the system, to me it sounds like a certain flop.

Remote

That's probaly a bunch of bs, if I don't remember correctly feel free to correct me but the domain is registrated to a person, not a company. There have never been any official statements from game developers and no console maker has made any statemant regarding this.... So atleast I come to the conclusion that it's bs...

OP
smegforbrain

smegforbrain

Remote said:
So atleast I come to the conclusion that it's bs...

*shrug* Just came looking for input, so if it is, no harm no foul.

But I've heard some other reports that there might/will be a 4th competitor entering the market with the next set of consoles.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
It really comes down to this: is it a hoax, or are the forces involved in making this system absolutely inept? I'd call that six of one or a half dozen of the other.

Anybody tried to actually submit ther information on the pre-registration screen? It's not a button, it's just a sort vestigial nub with no function.

An interesting mail from Josh Parker, Private Eye:

In my amazing boredom, I researched the status of these trademarks on , but could find no record of either being trademarked. I tried various search methods, never did I see the slogan or the name Phantom trademarked by Infium Labs.

Uh, yeah. Might want to get one of them trademark things.

Steve from HardOCP dropped the following science on me yesterday:

We had a reader go by Infinium Labs and take pictures of their "facility" ( that's when we found out it was a strip mall in the Florida Keys ) only to find out it was a single desk in a 100 x 100ft room with two phones and no furniture. That was about 4 months ago.

I talked to the Tim Roberts guy on the phone when he returned my call ( 22 days after I left a message ) and when I asked him about all this...he HUNG UP ON ME. I asked him if he was looking for investors, he said "We are actively recruiting investors". I asked him if they had any consoles on hand, he said "We have several hundred prototype models here in the office". So then I asked him where the prototypes were made, he said "right here in our facility". Then I told him I had seen his 100ft x 100ft office space conveinently located next to Missing Link Art Gallery in the strip mall ( located at 5380 Gulf of Mexico Dr. Longboat Key, Fl 34228 ) and he went NUTS!!! "WHO THE FUCK IS THIS!?!?! BLAH BLAH I'LL SUE YOU".

OP
smegforbrain

smegforbrain

Well, the thing that strikes me as interesting is that this may go beyond a hoax, and that if they're supposedly taking pre-orders on it and such, it could reek of fraud.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
They will be like the Bitboyz, make a boatload of outrageous claims. Suck in investors then leg it with the cash.

Edit: At the moment they can get away with this because they have not ripped off any end users, the "preorder" is for information only. Wether they have investors or not I don't know, the fact that they are not a trademarked company though has to nuke their chances of getting anything from anyone.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
vampireuk said:
They will be like the Bitboyz, make a boatload of outrageous claims. Suck in investors then leg it with the cash.

Bitboys were victims of overambition.

But from all accounts, they really WERE working at making their graphics cores... they just never quite managed to get to silicon, for various reasons.

If you don't believe they're capable of anything, though - http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7319 Discussion of a working BitBoys Acceleon.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
vampireuk said:
Bitboyz will be sat on a beach lighting a cuban with a 100 dollar bill :p

The poor guys wish they could be. They've been spending the investment money working the whole time, contrary to popular opinion.

Feature creep (among other things) pushed 3dfx Rampage back ~4 generations too.