What's new

booting problem

Buck_Bucholz

i like to put holes in my face
hey everyone i have a problem and have been totally busy with a new job so i havent had anytime to research or even try to think what could be the case....

alright my uncle just upgraded his computer to windows xp pro and just hooked up his dsl....everything was fine for about 2 weeks and he never installed his antivirus, then he has a problem where his computer wont boot and it has an error saying...something like...system32.hal.dll missing or corrupt or something, and he has to do a new installation and use the repair option to boot into windowds which i guess is a bitch to do everytime he turns on his computer...so he reinstalled windows then installed his antivirus and found a few viruses and said he got rid of them...but everytime he turns his computer off....(not restarts) it gives the same messge?? and he has to reinstall...so he has just been leaving his computer on.. so if anyone has anyideas of what is wrong let me know....

i think it has something with the viruses but who knows....

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Sorry, but : FORMAT and REINSTALL

the reason I say this is because anti-virous only delets and most infected files are not cleanable. So I am pretty sure that the virus damaged many of his files and it will be easier to just format. Make sure you tell him to install anti-virus before he starts surfing again.

Macca

yeh, i agree.

Format the pc and start clean, its ALWAYS a good idea to format a pc when installing a new OS whether a virus is suspected or not.