What's new

blight_input.so and psx pads?

rmo

I'm trying to get my psx pad to work with mupen64 under linux. I'm using gamecon for the pad. The problem is that blight_input doesn't seem to want to read the 5th and 6th axes.

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

blight

When i find some time i will put up the source of my plugin again and check your problem soon.

OP
R

rmo

Looking at it more it appears that SDL is only seeing 4 axes. So I guess the problem lies with my SDL library.

OP
R

rmo

Well I fixed my own problem.

I edited gamecon.c to provide support for the 2 hats when the controller is loaded as a DDR controller instead of a PSX pad. This way, the D-Pad is used as buttons instead of axes allowing the analog sticks to be the 4 axes that SDL sees. If anybody else wants this mod, I can provide a diff against the gamecon.c that's in 2.6.10

Darklegion

rmo said:
Well I fixed my own problem.

I edited gamecon.c to provide support for the 2 hats when the controller is loaded as a DDR controller instead of a PSX pad. This way, the D-Pad is used as buttons instead of axes allowing the analog sticks to be the 4 axes that SDL sees. If anybody else wants this mod, I can provide a diff against the gamecon.c that's in 2.6.10

Has anyone else been having performance problems with the gamecon driver + psx pad?
In my experience when I have gamecon loaded it causes both video and audio to suffer in mupen and other emulators/games.This effect occurs even if the driver is just loaded and not being used.The effect is more severe with analog mode although I think loading the driver with analog mode already enabled fixes this. Lowering psx_delay as far as it will go helps somewhat but it is still not perfect.For example playing Master Quest with the keyboard driver is close to flawless in both video and audio performance,whereas if I have gamecon loaded the sound crackles frequently and the video is good but not perfect and tends to jerk around slightly and/or slowdown.I have tried messing with the various parport options in both the kernel and in the bios but nothing has really helped.Also tried building gamecon as a module but that did not help as I expected.As far as trying different kernels is concerned I have tried a lot of them from 2.6.5 to 2.6.12-rc1-love1 and this bug has always been there.I have a feeling that the effect was less in the 2.4 series,but there are too many reasons to stick with 2.6 series now,and bugs in the gamecon driver are not enough to make me switch back.
Anyway if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them,thanks.

OP
R

rmo

If you still have your 2.4 sources around you can see what changed between 2.4.x and what you're running now, and then change it back.

Personally I haven't noticed any choppiness with the gamecon driver.

Darklegion

Actually I now recall that the 2.4 performance was even worse because psx_delay was set even higher then the defaults in 2.6.Anyway I spent a half hour rewiring my xbox to usb cable,and then after pissing around with the drivers(which also several issues by default which were fixed with a patch) got it working and had none of the performance issues I had with gamecon and my psx pad.If only I had narrowed this down down earlier as I had many issues in the past that I thought were video driver or kernel issues.Performace is just fantastic now in emulators and games and the xbox S controller is generally better then the psx one in any case.