What's new

Best Zelda emu/sound/video plugin combination

Goodfella

HI Folks

After struggling for years with the Zelda - Ocarina of Time I give up. I've tried many many emulators for this great game but so far the only one that really works is the ULTRAHLE. However the sound is lagging sometimes very awfull. I don't like this at all. So I've decided to continue my search for THE perfect emulator for Zelda - Ocarina of Time.

The ULTRAHLE 2064 seemed to be promising at first sight but the performance of zelda is even less. The sound is lagging even more! How come? I don't know, I can play OoT better with the original UltraHLE then the revived one. I tried different kind of audio plugins, Azimers ( LLE 0.50 Beta, 0.4, 0.3, 0.2), the UHLE audio plugin. However I think that the 2064 version is much better with video, in the beginning there's a rotating 'N" of Ninentdo, I've never saw that one before with the old ULTRAHLE.

It seems that the built in audio handler of the original ULTRAHLE works better. How is that possible? Is it because of my system:?

- AMD athlon 1800+
- 512 MB
- Sapphire RADEON 9200 128DDR ( using glidewrapper XGL 200 for the
- ULTRAHLE, and the GLIDE64 for the ULTRAHLE 2064)
- 1st Soundcard ( Avance 97, onboard )
- 2st Soundcard ( Terratec DMX soundsystem/ MAESTRO2 compatible ) I've tried with both soundcards.
- DirectX 9.0
- UP 2 date drivers

I've tried the other emu's like:
- Deadales ( Messed up video, right in the beginning)
- Nemu64 ( almost the same peformance as the 2064; sound-lagging )
- Mupen 64 ( right in the beginning there's some TV-snow :S )
- Project 64 ( same as nemu )

Does anyone managed to play Zelda with good results? like, no sound lagging and playable speed? NO missing walls, secrefts or something? ULTRAHLE has some bugs with certain puzzles in the game. If someone had some luck, please share your knowledge, I almost getting crazy because I started playing the game again; a couple of years ago I had a problem with one puzzle, it didn't showed up correctly so I gave up, now I want to finish this game. However, I start all over, and everytime I hear a sound lag, I go beserk :S.

I also searched the web for THE ULTIMATE zelda emulator but offf course, there was no website about it.

Hopefully you can help me.

Thanx in advance.

Go to www.nemu.com and download Nemu 0.8. Download Rice's daedalus 5.1.0d and put it into the Nemu main-dir. Select it at plugin-options and set the texture scaling to 2xsai, set the resolution to the maximum, choose "for higher end video-cards" and start zelda. Get ready for the ultimate Zelda-experience which is better than on the real N64!

pandamoan

Banned
mightyrocket said:
Go to www.nemu.com and download Nemu 0.8. Download Rice's daedalus 5.1.0d and put it into the Nemu main-dir. Select it at plugin-options and set the texture scaling to 2xsai, set the resolution to the maximum, choose "for higher end video-cards" and start zelda. Get ready for the ultimate Zelda-experience which is better than on the real N64!

yes that is a VERY nice way to play zelda.

also get an adaptoid (or one of the cheaper n64/psx usb adapters, they work just as well) and an original n64 controller. actually though i like the ps2 controller almost as well :D

jamie

ps just a thought, but maybe the emus are accessing your onboard sound card for some reason, you could disable it in your bios and see if that helps. onboard sound cards can thrash your performance in a number of important ways relevant to n64 emulation.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Yes make sure that you disabled your onboard sound. With your specs you shouldn't have any sound lag because I can play it almost perfectly on my crappy specs using pj64 and 1964

joyride

mightyrocket said:

wow, nice ;) would that also make for the ultimate zelda MM experience? if not, what would you suggest for zelda MM?

btw is there a site that lists the ultimate combinations (emu/plugins) for specific n64 games?

ps. i have athlon 2000+, 1gig ram, radeon 9700 (if that info is needed)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
joyride said:
btw is there a site that lists the ultimate combinations (emu/plugins) for specific n64 games?
No there isn't. You will need to experiment.
:baaa: for bringing up this old thread

You have to choose between Glide64 0.5 + evoodoo and Rice's plugin (they both got strong and weak points in Zelda MM).

joyride

Doomulation said:
Unless you own a voodoo! :n64: :D Then it'd be perfect with motion blur and all!

i can't understand why a voodoo should be better with zelda.... why is that?

joyride

mightyrocket said:
You have to choose between Glide64 0.5 + evoodoo and Rice's plugin (they both got strong and weak points in Zelda MM).

with which emu?

what is Glide64 0.5 and evoodoo? both plugins? whould i need a voodoo for them to work?

Glide64 is a plugin, and evoodoo is a glide-wrapper which makes you able to run Glide64 without a voodoo-card. And use 1964 or PJ64 as emu, they're both great!

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Until 1964 1.0.0, I'd suggest PJ64. I get some good enough results, and if it really starts giving you problems try running a low resolution fullscreen. Running in a window uses more system resources.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
joyride said:
i can't understand why a voodoo should be better with zelda.... why is that?
Because of the intense power held within the only glide-made plugin there is! It's surpassing jabo's if you own a voodoo. The wrapper does not wrap "perfect."