What's new

Best setting to use for these games?

simsx_blade

Mariokart 64
donkey kong 64 (at the moment won't even play)
banjo kazooie
banjo tooie (crashes at jingalings palace)
diddy kong racing

rcgamer

the old guy
well for mario kart the settings im using are combiner type- 3 stage, n64 textures and filters, no framebuffer, software t&l (for pretty much all games) software clipping (again pretty much all games).
I havent tryed diddy kong yet but i would guess they would be about the same. for the others i would try the combiner type-pixel shaders, maybe render to texture plus (try switching around this setting if you have problems), and force nearest filter (again experiment).

these seem to be the most crucial settings so test them out. your card is very different than mine so I can only tell you what is working for me.

OP
S

simsx_blade

rcgamer said:
well for mario kart the settings im using are combiner type- 3 stage, n64 textures and filters, no framebuffer, software t&l (for pretty much all games) software clipping (again pretty much all games).
I havent tryed diddy kong yet but i would guess they would be about the same. for the others i would try the combiner type-pixel shaders, maybe render to texture plus (try switching around this setting if you have problems), and force nearest filter (again experiment).

these seem to be the most crucial settings so test them out. your card is very different than mine so I can only tell you what is working for me.

thanks

on donkey kong though DK can pass through walls it's impossible to play! how do i fix this..

OP
S

simsx_blade

screw it i think i'll stick to P64 at the moment. 1964 is too unstable 1 out of 3 times i try to start a rom it crashes and freezes my computer.

rcgamer

the old guy
are you sure you have goodroms. with your system you shouldnt be having this much trouble. download goodn64 and good windows and check them.

OP
S

simsx_blade

rcgamer said:
are you sure you have goodroms. with your system you shouldnt be having this much trouble. download goodn64 and good windows and check them.

i tried before and couldn't figure out how to use the damn thing

rcgamer

the old guy
go to the misc. section here at emutalk and get the goodn64 and good windows and the bin put them all in your good windows directory. when you start good windows where it says system choose n64 and it will ask you to show it where goodn64 is , do it. now show it to your rom directory in the directory to work in box. and make sure you have rename checked. then just click execute and if it renames your roms to something with a ! ending its good, if it doesnt rename them , its bad. You want only the ones that say (u)! or something like that. it could be a (j)! or whatever. if they say like ht5 or something they are hacks. these might be called good but i only use the ones with the ! .

khanmeister

Banned
1964 walks all over PJ64 at the moment. Use the latest Rice plugin 5.4.2, and if not that one, then you can try the excellent glide plugin, or use Jabo' 1.5.1. N64 emulation is not exactly for newbies. Spend some time tweaking the settings, etc, and you will benefit.

OP
S

simsx_blade

khanmeister said:
1964 walks all over PJ64 at the moment. Use the latest Rice plugin 5.4.2, and if not that one, then you can try the excellent glide plugin, or use Jabo' 1.5.1. N64 emulation is not exactly for newbies. Spend some time tweaking the settings, etc, and you will benefit.

this is what it says:

Banjo-Kazooie (U) [!]
Banjo-Tooie (U) [!]
Diddy Kong Racing (U) (M2) (V1.0) [f1][h1] (cartname)
Donkey Kong 64 (E) [!]
Mario Kart 64 (E) (V1.1) [!]
Super Mario 64 (U) [!]

**** diddy long racing is hacked i better get rid of that and find a better rom.

OP
S

simsx_blade

khanmeister said:

i'll say i have 4 other emulators installed: GBA, snes, sega and genesis. all i do is put the rom in and click play and away it goes. but this damn thing...

rcgamer

the old guy
well you dont have to get rid of it. but i would dl another one that is u or e or j !. Other than that just try messing with the options or try other plugins as khanmeister suggested to get your emulators going.

OP
S

simsx_blade

rcgamer said:
well you dont have to get rid of it. but i would dl another one that is u or e or j !. Other than that just try messing with the options or try other plugins as khanmeister suggested to get your emulators going.

if i can stop the damn thing from crashing. on DK64 when you 1st start the game and DK is in the water swimming around the ship he can pass through it! how do i fix this?

OP
S

simsx_blade

hmmm it doesn't seem to like me using direct x as the renderer i have to use opengl otherwise i just get a white screen. i can get basically nearly all my roms to work on p64 but with this.....

rcgamer

the old guy
when was the last time you updated your graphics card drivers? and are you sure you are using rices 5.4.2 plugin.

khanmeister

Banned
Ok, let's break this down:

The best idea is a clean windows XP install. Then disable all the eye candy and extra junk. Get the very latest forceware drivers for your geforce. Then download the latest 1964, and pj64, and extract them to seperate directories. Copy jabo 1.5.1 into the 1964 plugin directory. Also copy Rice's new 5.4.2 plugin. Set the settings in 1964 to select the Rice plugin as the default plugin. Try all the games with default settings. If one or all don't work, try the jabo plugin. If one or all don't work, try messing with the settings for Rice's 5.4.2 plugin.

None of the emus work THAT great "out of box", however that is one strength of PJ64, it requires very little in the way of configuration. Properly configured, however, 1964 OWNS it. Good luck!

Clements

simsx_blade said:
Mariokart 64
donkey kong 64 (at the moment won't even play)
banjo kazooie
banjo tooie (crashes at jingalings palace)
diddy kong racing

OK, here's what plugins I use for these games and why:
Mario Kart 64: glN64()
Why: Fast, 2xSAI texturing on karts, dithered alpha on karts when picked up.

Donkey Kong 64: Jabo's plugin
Why: No gfx issues or problems.

Banjo Kazooie: glN64()
Why: Hi-resolution framebuffer on pause, no slowdowns in puzzles/when Jiggy appears, 2xSAI filtering.

Banjo-Tooie: Jabo's plugin
Why: Most compatible with the game.

Diddy Kong Racing: Glide64 0.5 + eVoodoo
Why: Flawless.

OP
S

simsx_blade

Clements said:
OK, here's what plugins I use for these games and why:
Mario Kart 64: glN64()
Why: Fast, 2xSAI texturing on karts, dithered alpha on karts when picked up.

Donkey Kong 64: Jabo's plugin
Why: No gfx issues or problems.

Banjo Kazooie: glN64()
Why: Hi-resolution framebuffer on pause, no slowdowns in puzzles/when Jiggy appears, 2xSAI filtering.

Banjo-Tooie: Jabo's plugin
Why: Most compatible with the game.

Diddy Kong Racing: Glide64 0.5 + eVoodoo
Why: Flawless.

is that for P64 or 1964?

Clements

It doesn't really matter, although DK64 is more playable in 1964, and the intro of Banjo-Kazooie stays in sync with 1964.