What's new

Best plugin/settings for Perfect dark

goldeneyepd fan

Hello everyone! Long time no see! Anyway, I need to know some good settings or the best plugin for Perfect Dark. The reason being is that the sky goes all weird and blurry, there are tons of missing effects, the Area 51 stages crash with microcode errors, the Carrington Villa stage flickers and level parts dissapear, before the game loads it says something about a DMA or DRAM error. It's really irritating. I want to be able to get this to work properly, or to satisfy my Perfect Dark needs I will have to play Perfect dark zero! (!) Thanks for help in advance.

Clements

You really shouldn't be getting things like DMA etc. errors at all. Make sure your ROM is verified by the latest GoodN64.

Occasionally, the game might hang after you complete a level in Single Player or in Combat Simulator randomly if you use certain options.

In terms of plugins, Glide64 emulates the most effects with this game, inc. skies, coronas, IR Scanner etc. Jabo's D3D8 1.6 emulates most effects apart from the ones I mentioned that Glide64 supports, and runs at a very good speed.

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
Do the coronas need something special to work on the graphics card? (Pixel shader2.0?) cause I can't get them on my latest version. (gfx: geforce 4 MX440 .. old i know)

Clements

Not sure, but I do know that Software Depth Buffer rendering must be enabled for coronas to show.

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
heh strange, I only see the coronas and everything else is black.. I guess my wrapper or graphics card is an issue.

smcd

I used to have that card. Try installing 4x.xx series or 5x.xx series of drivers (the earlier the better, I think) The older drivers work better for that card.

OP
G

goldeneyepd fan

You really shouldn't be getting things like DMA etc. errors at all. Make sure your ROM is verified by the latest GoodN64.

Occasionally, the game might hang after you complete a level in Single Player or in Combat Simulator randomly if you use certain options.

In terms of plugins, Glide64 emulates the most effects with this game, inc. skies, coronas, IR Scanner etc. Jabo's D3D8 1.6 emulates most effects apart from the ones I mentioned that Glide64 supports, and runs at a very good speed.
I'm not entirely sure what has happened here. All the effects are present with the Glide64 plugin, but I played the second mission, and the game froze 4.83 seconds in, and the first mission froze 8 or so seconds in. Still, Carrington Villa has incredibly bad flickering.

mudlord

Banned
Do the coronas need something special to work on the graphics card? (Pixel shader2.0?) cause I can't get them on my latest version. (gfx: geforce 4 MX440 .. old i know)

They shouldn't. Coronas are processed by the plugin in software, not hardware.

Pixel shaders are needed though for various things like:
* Correct combiner emulation
* Perlin noise emulation (dithered alpha rendering)

Though, framebuffer object support needs a card that supports Shader Model 2.0 generally...

OP
G

goldeneyepd fan

Whats your video card.
My GFX card is a NVidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache and has 512MB RAM. Also, you know the intro where Joanna is typing some stuff into her Laptop? Well sometimes that doesn't show, only the music plays and that "WAAA" sound from the music is held at the end of that for about 4 seconds. The FPS reads at that point as 0.00, and VI/s is at 50.00. Carrington Villa still flickering. The sky does not appear there, however the sun+coronas are there. Camspy very laggy, FPS goes down to as much as 2 or 3 FPS. I have deduced that Glide64 Napalm is terrible (it always does the intro bug), and Wonder ++ produces slightly better results (less intro bugs, slightly less flickering on Carrington Villa, sky still not present on said level.) Area 51 levels also flicker.

Last edited: