What's new

Best PC ide and compiler?

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
hi all, im finally starting my chip8 emu after learning a lot of C coding first :D

Anyway, i was wondering which is the best c ide and compiler and if i will need any additional libarys to compile.

I only made a few programs like a calculator, word proccessor and paint program, and am wondering if i need anything new to compile...

i cant remember the one i used as my pc got wiped :( and i lost everything...

thanks in advance for your help

smcd

Lots of people recommend Dev-C++ as an IDE, and there is also MinGW Developer Studio for free, and a few others. You might even check into getting the Visual C++ 2005 Express from Microsoft and setting it up with the platform SDK etc. to allow it to make native Windows executables instead of .net only.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Remember that you can't use MFC with VC++ 2005 Express. I prefer Microsoft's studios because they look good and have good functionality. Though they can be buggy ;(

Doomulation

Does ATL encapsulate window classes? ATL has its uses, especially with COM and Shell, but otherwise it isn't up to par with MFC.
WTL is bad, if you ask me. It doesn't even offer an easy window creation class.
As for the others... I'll look into them and compare them to MFC. But remember: MFC is an entire framework, not just for windows, graphics and GUI, but for other functionality as well.

Last edited:

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
My favorite IDE would be MS Visual Studio 2005 Professional in windows and KDevelop when doing a project in linux.

Fav. compiler? In windows just vs2k5's default and linux well latest stable gcc...

Doomulation

It's just a shame that VS2005 is so slow. If you don't have a Dual Core processor or a high end system, well... you're not going to very happy with it - because it IS slow. But it's IntelliSense is much better than previous versions which is definetly a plus.
Still, IntelliSense for C++ has always sucked and it still does.

Slougi

Does ATL encapsulate window classes? ATL has its uses, especially with COM and Shell, but otherwise it isn't up to par with MFC.
WTL is bad, if you ask me. It doesn't even offer an easy window creation class.
As for the others... I'll look into them and compare them to MFC. But remember: MFC is an entire framework, not just for windows, graphics and GUI, but for other functionality as well.
Have a look at Qt. It should offer everything that MFC offers, with a much nicer API and cross-platform portability.

One downside, depending on how you license your software, might be the fact that the free edition is GPL licensed, and the commercial version is quite expensive.

But as far as quality goes, it beats the MFC in just about every respect I think.

pegasus001

Normal User
i vote for visual studio 2005 for windows and kdevelop for linux.

PS: We are discussing ides not frameworks.

Slougi

No, nothing like that quite yet. The plan is to add version control and project management support next, then build system integration. After that I'll probably look into integrating debugging and on Unix platforms support for valgrind.

Code completion is really pretty low on my todo list, I have never really needed it, and usually when I used a tool with support for it, it was just annoying. It's also a pretty complex feature to add, as you need a language parser for every supported language. It's definitely something I want to do, just not in the near future.

Last edited:

Garstyciuks

I find the linux code completion annyoing, but in my opinion, Microsoft made it pretty good. It really helps to program more efficiently, you don't need to memorize all the variables for each function, etc...