What's new

Best N64 emulator and video/audio plugins for my system

riahc3

Hello. Nice to join a community like this :)

My system is a

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
2GB RAM
Radeon X1600 PRO
Asus P5B deluxe
Audigy 2 ZS
Windows Vista 32 bits

The problem Im having with emulators (with a combination of plugins) is:

a) no video or no sound at all (ROM doesnt boot).
b) sound but no video
c) video and sound but both video/sound studders (which it shouldnt seeing as ive ran games on my 800mhz, 256mb ram)

Now C is ok and works fine but the suddering is very very annoying and Im looking for the best combination that someone has which is similar to my setup. Thanks.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The default plugins should suffice. There aren't any "super-awesome" plugins for very high-end computers, you know. There is something else at work here if the default plugins give you problems. Most likely because you run Vista, although I can't be sure.

OP
R

riahc3

Most likely because you run Vista, although I can't be sure.
That has nothing to do with it. Why the hell are there so many antiMicrosoft/Vista fanboys around?

The default plugins do not work.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I didn't say anything about being antiMicrosoft/Vista/whatever. I simply made a guess. Stop jumping to conclusions.

AFAIK, true Vista support comes with Project64 1.7. What if you change the Project64 process to use only one core?

OP
R

riahc3

I didn't say anything about being antiMicrosoft/Vista/whatever. I simply made a guess. Stop jumping to conclusions.
Yes but you said its problably because your running Vista. What the fuck does my OS have anything to do with it? XP is not better; Vista memory management and dual cual usage is way better than XPs. Thats why I said you are a antiVista user.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
The OS has everything to do with it. If the OS works differently than the application expects then you will most likely encounter problems.

For example, there are some applications designed for Windows 95/98/ME that fail to work correctly (or even at all) on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
The same applies to some application that are designed for Windows XP. They may not work correctly (or even at all) on Windows Vista.

OP
R

riahc3

The OS has everything to do with it. If the OS works differently than the application expects then you will most likely encounter problems.

For example, there are some applications designed for Windows 95/98/ME that fail to work correctly (or even at all) on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
The same applies to some application that are designed for Windows XP. They may not work correctly (or even at all) on Windows Vista.
Then in that case the application is coded incorrectly; A well written app works on any windows platform with little or no changes.

I also find it unfair that you have to pay to get Vista compatibility. Using Project 1.7, it works perfectly on my PC. I find it (to novice users that do not know how to download warez or legal users) unfair that you have to pay for a feature that should be out-of-the-box such as Windows compatibility.

zaba_3

Then in that case the application is coded incorrectly; A well written app works on any windows platform with little or no changes.

I also find it unfair that you have to pay to get Vista compatibility. Using Project 1.7, it works perfectly on my PC. I find it (to novice users that do not know how to download warez or legal users) unfair that you have to pay for a feature that should be out-of-the-box such as Windows compatibility.
PJ 1.6 was programmed when Vista wasnt even out yet
maybe thats reason? :)
Its not like other programs works perfectly on vista without any updates

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)

Allow me to second what Agozer told you earlier. Stop jumping to conclusions.
PJ64 was released long before Windows Vista became available. It was designed to work on earlier versions of Windows but not Vista.
When it comes to applications as complicated as an emulator then some "ideal" conditions have to be met. A premature OS with premature drivers (Vista on that case) cannot be considered as ideal.

As zaba already mentioned, many other applications have problems running on Vista and they have to be updated in order to work as intended. This cannot be avoided because there was no way to know how Vista would work before it was released. It's a different OS and applications must change the way they work in order to be compatible with it.

There are occasions where updating drivers can solve some issues and cases where an update (or in the worst scenario, a different application) is the only solution.
I suggest you try updating video and sound drivers just in case it helps. Remember, drivers for Vista are quite premature so far.

zaba: Can we keep this discussion a little more civil? I'm sure that we can avoid flaming in here at least once in a while.... just for a change.

zaba_3

Psyman:Sure,sorry its just the way this guy complained that made me a angry,"incorrectly coded application" and stuff -.-

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Vista can't be the problem, My system is built almost like the posters, except with an X1950 instead of an X1600 and pj64 1.6 runs perfectly fine for me.

I've been running Vista as my primary OS for months, no big emulation problems thus far. hell even pcsx2 ran great on this system.

Last edited:
OP
R

riahc3

Vista can't be the problem, My system is built almost like the posters, except with an X1950 instead of an X1600 and pj64 1.6 runs perfectly fine for me.

I've been running Vista as my primary OS for months, no big emulation problems thus far. hell even pcsx2 ran great on this system.
Thank you :)

Must be the plugins; Either that or 1.7 has been made for users to pay just for compatibility.

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
The best gfx plugin imo is Glide64 wonder++
would run perfectly on your computer...
but afaik you cant use it with vista... (so no high res framebuffer emulation for you)

The best plugins are (imo):

Hacktarux/Azimer HLE RSP
Azimer HLE Audio v0.56 WIP2
Glide64 Wonder++

mudlord

Banned
Either that or 1.7 has been made for users to pay just for compatibility.

:saddam:
Heheheh, no. 1.7 requires a donation, not a payment. And it is not for the purpose you described solely for. :sombrero:

The core itself runs fine under Vista, its the plugins that have the problem.

but afaik you cant use it with vista... (so no high res framebuffer emulation for you)
Vista has issues with OpenGL compatibility, or the drivers...Either way, the wrapper is unsupported on Vista due either to buggy drivers or the OS itself.

The best plugins for me are:
Jabo's/zilmar's RSP
Jabo's DirectSound
Glide64 Wonder++ OR Jabo's private beta video plugin

Clements

I use whatever works best. I tend to value speed over compatibility (with certain graphical effects) when just playing normally.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Allow me to second what Agozer told you earlier. Stop jumping to conclusions.
PJ64 was released long before Windows Vista became available. It was designed to work on earlier versions of Windows but not Vista.
When it comes to applications as complicated as an emulator then some "ideal" conditions have to be met. A premature OS with premature drivers (Vista on that case) cannot be considered as ideal.

This type of phenomenon isn't new.
Anyone remember when XP was the new dude back in 2002?

Back in 2002, I had problems with stuff that was made before the OS.