What's new

Be honest with me

Nahuel

Since dolphin 64 dualcore came out, I have planned to buy a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (s939). With this new micro my pc will be:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (s939)
MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum
ATI Radeon x1300pro 256MB DDR2 Palit
Kingstone DDR 1GB 400Mhz Cl3
Samsung S-ATA II 300GB 7200 8MB

My question is, how well "Four Swords Adventures", "The Wind Waker" and "Twilight Princess" gonna run???? I mean FP/S????.

I see all the post but nobody has a pc like this. (I mean with 939 chipset).
Sorry for my bad english (i´m from Argentina) and ANWER me!!! jeje.

NepSquare

Well, I could give you an answer without knowing anything about your hardware:

Twilight Princess only runs when dual core is disabled, that means you can't get more than +15fps on a strong rig. Wind Waker could run at decent speeds though, but you won't get far due to game incompatability. Four Sword Adventures I think doesn't continue after the intro, I'll test tonight.

It seems to me that you are not buying a new micro, but just replacing the processor. Even though that proc is relatively cheap, I would suggest getting a new motherboard with socket AM2 if you want to stick with AMD. This will secure a better upgrade path for you and it will cost about the same if not cheaper.

My few cents...

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Since dolphin 64 dualcore came out, I have planned to buy a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (s939). With this new micro my pc will be:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (s939)
MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum
ATI Radeon x1300pro 256MB DDR2 Palit
Kingstone DDR 1GB 400Mhz Cl3
Samsung S-ATA II 300GB 7200 8MB

My question is, how well "Four Swords Adventures", "The Wind Waker" and "Twilight Princess" gonna run???? I mean FP/S????.

I see all the post but nobody has a pc like this. (I mean with 939 chipset).
Sorry for my bad english (i´m from Argentina) and ANWER me!!! jeje.
If the last sentence should be a command, you can forget about it.
If not and you probably was in a bad mood, than I answer your question:
Look at my sig, My Desktop CPU isn't the same like yours, but two versions below that and I can guarantee you, that even if WW probably would have good speed it will crash, if you collect an item. It's a Dolphin core bug and no -before you ask - it won't be fixed for a long time.
The next one: Zelda 4 Swords, is incredible slow and has some minor gfx problems... so also a no-go.
Last one is Zelda TP... and I have to say: No go...
Like most games for GC, it won't work like a SNES emu or something like this and btw: you also need a 64bit OS to get dolphin Dual core running...
NepSquare said:
Well, I could give you an answer without knowing anything about your hardware:

Twilight Princess only runs when dual core is disabled, that means you can't get more than +15fps on a strong rig. Wind Waker could run at decent speeds though, but you won't get far due to game incompatability. Four Sword Adventures I think doesn't continue after the intro, I'll test tonight.

It seems to me that you are not buying a new micro, but just replacing the processor. Even though that proc is relatively cheap, I would suggest getting a new motherboard with socket AM2 if you want to stick with AMD. This will secure a better upgrade path for you and it will cost about the same if not cheaper.

My few cents...
Ho... he seems to have posted the few seconds I started to write the answer... but who cares, now you have to answers, who nearly say the same...

Last edited:
OP
Nahuel

Nahuel

Thanks guys for give some info.
I think that upgrading my pc only for try to run a emulator that dosn´t work at all (for this games, the only ones that i´m interested) it´s not worthy. I prefer (with all that money) buy a Game Cube.
Perhaps it will be nice to play in the future with the emulator, because all the work that have done the Dolphin Team.

I have tested Four Swords Aventures with my pc and runs at 7 fps, with some gfx probems. But works until you get the sword. After that i dont know because I close my emulator, it´s so boring to wait all the intros! jeje

Thanks for the help.

NepSquare

It's NEVER a good idea to upgrade your pc to an emulator's needs, but who's to stop the enthusiast? ;)

But if you are planning to use/own a pc in the next few decennias, invest in a good mobo now instead of a cpu!

OP
Nahuel

Nahuel

It's NEVER a good idea to upgrade your pc to an emulator's needs, but who's to stop the enthusiast? ;)

But if you are planning to use/own a pc in the next few decennias, invest in a good mobo now instead of a cpu!

a year ago (when a bought my pc) i thought that the MSI K8n Neo4 Platinum (s939) was the best mobo for amd cores. But AMD kick my ass with the s940 and now i have to buy a new motherboard. (in the future, of course, when the s941 comes out!!! jejeje)