What's new

bastardised mouse aiming in Perfect Dark - an issue of the true controls?

Renegade

Wearer of Army Boots
alllllll right.

using N-Rage's plaugin w/ mouse capability, i decided to take mouse controlling for a spin.

The first problem:
the mouse is so sensitive, i keep "nodding" as i walk, and this affects my general aim as well. decreasing the sensitivity only makes tuirning more sluggish. bah.

the second problem:
I set up the controls such that when i press I or K i go forward and backward respectively (analog pad up and down), and when i press J and L i strafe left (N64 C-buttons left and right) and right respectively. when i shift my mouse up (Y-axis +) i look up; shift down (Y-axis -) and i look down (N64 C-Buttons Up and down). now when i aim (middle mouse button), i start crouching, getting up, sidestepping etc. i realise that this might coincide with the PD controls of sidestepping and crouching, but isn't there a way i can get past this?! i hate using the keyboard, i can't aim properly, and I refuse to hook up an N64-esque controller (I don't have one)!

can all these be remedied? if you are playing it like you would a PC-game (i know that an N64 isn't a PC, but still), what is your ctrl scheme?

Stezo2k

S-2K
hmm try n rages profile for goldeneye (on the page), that works awesome in goleneye, should work ok in PD

Stez

crhylove

Banned
nope, i had similar problems with that setup in perfect dark... i haven't tried it in golden eye yet.... /me will be right back.

jollyrancher

It works great... you just need to also change the controls WITHIN PD to the 1.2 setting. And there is an option to change the mouse sensitivity in the nrage plugin.

OP
R

Renegade

Wearer of Army Boots
right, a last problem. please bear with me...

by enabling absolute x + y, i found that it made my aiming a lot more accurate because the cuticle always stayed at where it was moved. however, with controls 1.2, i also found it hard to control myself. I turned left and right, looked up and down almost uncontrollably (it's absolute values...dammit!) and kept committing suicide.

is there anyway way to:
(1) aim accurately, as mentioned before
(2) not swing around here and there, but be able to stop when I want it to? as in, if I want to turn left, I move the mouse left so I turn, and when I stop the mouse i want it to stop me turning right away, sort of without absolute values

problems: IS there only one turn left/right pair of buttons...digital pad left/right seems to be only a second way of strafing, which is what I don't want.

LD.

*poke*
with the 1.2 controls, the analog stick aims up/down and turns left/right, and the c buttons/d pad move forward/back/ and strafe left/right.

That's all you're getting outta that.

Pressing the middle mouse button to aim (mapped to R I suppose) will make you duck and lean and junk when you use the d-pad. Not sure if it happens on the c buttons or not.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Renegade said:
right, a last problem. please bear with me...

by enabling absolute x + y, i found that it made my aiming a lot more accurate because the cuticle always stayed at where it was moved. however, with controls 1.2, i also found it hard to control myself. I turned left and right, looked up and down almost uncontrollably (it's absolute values...dammit!) and kept committing suicide.

is there anyway way to:
(1) aim accurately, as mentioned before
(2) not swing around here and there, but be able to stop when I want it to? as in, if I want to turn left, I move the mouse left so I turn, and when I stop the mouse i want it to stop me turning right away, sort of without absolute values

problems: IS there only one turn left/right pair of buttons...digital pad left/right seems to be only a second way of strafing, which is what I don't want.

you havent dled the GE profile like Stez said did you? In that profile is an ingenius modifier which turns on absolute x and y when ur holding the 'R' button, and it turns it off after ur done. This should take care of both (1) and (2).

Stezo2k

S-2K
on nrages page theres a controll profile for his plugin for goldeneye/pd if u use the 1.2 conrtolls, try now the game works like quake 3 :) and it makes the game a lot easier:D

Stez

E

emuguy

ok ive got it all set up. i use the mouse to look, the arrows to move around etc. it seems very good apart from one problem. when i turn with the mouse joanna doesnt turn smoothly. i can give the mouse a quick jerk to the left or righ but it dosent stop when i stop moving the mouse, its like it moves round in sections, eg if i just want to turn a little to the left quickly i give the mouse a quick jab to the left but it always goes too far. its the same on all first person games and some are a lot worse than others moving further round just with one quick jab. is there a way i can make it smooth like with quake 3 or unreal pc?

E

emuguy

Stezo2k said:
what specs u got m8, cuz if u got low ones, it isnt worth it

Stez

amd athlon xp1600+,
1.4 ghz
512mb ram,
geforce 3 ti 200
40gig hd
win xp pro

E

emuguy

does anyone understand what i mean cos i really want to get this sorted

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
have you used the Goldeneye profile @ http://go.to/nrage ?

also, you must keep in mind that there is no way to get PD or GE to act just like a PC FPS. The games were just not designed that way(ie there is no way to set the sensitivity of the joystick of the real n64 so that a tap can turn your character 180).

Last edited:
E

emuguy

pj64er said:
have you used the Goldeneye profile @ http://go.to/nrage ?

also, you must keep in mind that there is no way to get PD or GE to act just like a PC FPS. The games were just not designed that way(ie there is no way to set the sensitivity of the joystick of the real n64 so that a tap can turn your character 180).

no no , its not the speed i have a problem with and the fps are fine, what i mean is this......

say there is a guard stood there in front of me about 2cm to the right and he is about to shoot me, so i want to turn quickly to shoot him. i give the mouse a fast, very short nudge to the right but my view goes slightly past the guard by about a cm. so no matter how far u push the mouse if u push it fast it turns in about 3cm sections. wheras on a pc game u could get it to top exactly where u want. its smooth if u are pushing the mouse slowly.