What's new

Banjo-Tooie jigsaw problem

avengah

I'm using Project64 1.6 with a good dump of Banjo-Tooie, and Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6. On my old computer, it was fine, no problems, but on my new computer, the jigsaws are almost completely white. On my old computer, most of the puzzles would appear properly, except for the pieces on the far right of the board, which I believe is how it's supposed to appear, but on the new one, the far right pieces are still funny colours but the rest are pure white. I've tried changing random settings but nothing has fixed it. Does anyone know what the problem could be? I was hoping to actually see the puzzles as I solve them...

Thanks if anyone can help.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Enabling "Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM" in the graphics plugin's Advanced settings, but take note that the speed will take a tremendous hit.

Also, you could give Glide64 a try if your video card can handle it.

Clements

Direct64 and glN64() are also good bets for this part. You will need to enable the experimental framebuffer option with glN64().

OP
A

avengah

I tried Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM and it doesn't work. It slows it down, but the jigsaws still aren't visible.

Is it possible that the reason it worked on my old computer, but not here, is that my new computer's video card can't draw the puzzles properly?

The thing is, it worked fine on Project64 on my old computer, so I don't understand why it should not work now.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I tried Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM and it doesn't work. It slows it down, but the jigsaws still aren't visible.

Is it possible that the reason it worked on my old computer, but not here, is that my new computer's video card can't draw the puzzles properly?

The thing is, it worked fine on Project64 on my old computer, so I don't understand why it should not work now.
Okay, it's a generic answer, but probably you should update your gfx drivers.

OP
A

avengah

I just tried, and it told me I had the latest drivers. I appear to be using Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT, if that means anything...

GamerAeon

Hmmmm.....I'm playing it right now on a Radeon X1550 and it works fine
Enable Super2xSal textures and Direct3D Transformation Pipeline and see if that works, if not Try another Video Plugin one that uses OpenGL to render instead of DirectX some cards like GeForce 8500 GT for example explicitly state they work better with OpenGL than DirectX

It's wacky I know but it might just show ya the picture on the pieces:bouncy:

OP
A

avengah

I've tried everything, and I still can't get the puzzle pictures to appear. The only way I can get them to appear is by using an older plugin, which really slows the system down. I know the current plugin is supposed to do it at full speed, although you lose the rightmost pieces - but I can live with that.

I've run DXDiag, and that tells me there are no problems, and all tests up to DirectX 9 worked fine. I can only assume that it's a video-card specific problem, and there's probably not a lot I can do about it.

Thanks anyway for your help, and hopefully a solution will present itself eventually...

X-Fi6

Enabling "Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM" in the graphics plugin's Advanced settings, but take note that the speed will take a tremendous hit.

Also, you could give Glide64 a try if your video card can handle it.
It's strange because on this computer, even when disabling the frame limiter, I only get like a 20fps decrease if I check that when using Jabo's.

And I only have a Connect3d ATI x1600, which is very buggy and has an extremely loud fan.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Well, perhaps the hit isn't that tremendous; depends on the hardware really, and the last time I tried the RDRAM option it was on a somewhat slower computer. AFAIK, the speed is also tied to how fast data moves between the CPU and the video card.

Last edited:

Clements

Exactly, so if you have a PCI-E video card or integrated graphics, the speed hit is less than using AGP or PCI video cards when using that option.

bgn

I've tried everything, and I still can't get the puzzle pictures to appear. The only way I can get them to appear is by using an older plugin, which really slows the system down. I know the current plugin is supposed to do it at full speed, although you lose the rightmost pieces - but I can live with that.

I've run DXDiag, and that tells me there are no problems, and all tests up to DirectX 9 worked fine. I can only assume that it's a video-card specific problem, and there's probably not a lot I can do about it.

Thanks anyway for your help, and hopefully a solution will present itself eventually...

A solution already presented itself in post number three. i also have a nvidia 8 series vga, and gln64 fixes the problem, but the plugin is so old it does not work very well for anything other than the jiggy puzzzle. Thx to the poster.