What's new

Bad Zelda Rom?

NovaBurn

I have have my Legend of Zelda OoT rom for a while, just never got a chance to til I upgraded my PC, now that I am playing it I've noticed that when going to the status screen, the rom takes longer than usual to open it; about a whole 3-4 seconds to open it. Once I do get to the status screen, it runs fine, except when I go to the equipment selection the picture of Link is badly shown, either pixelated heavily or with lines running through him. Once I do leave the start menu, the rom looses its anti-aliasing (Majora's Mask also). The game itself runs fine, getting close to 60 fps in window mode and around 50-55 in full screen. Could that deal with bringing up the start menu be the case of a bad rom or just configuration of 1964?

The ROM is fine, there is even a cheat to fix the subscreen delay, did you try PJ64 1.5 SP1?
It has the subscreen delay fix cheat, and (I think) there are some settings (in Jabo's plugin) to fix the picture of link, but it slows down the rest of the game.

One last note: if you think you have a bad ROM, check it with GoodN64, or check if the size of the ROM is the right size (e.g., for Zelda:OoT, MQ, and MM, the size should be 32MB or (in bits) 256Mbit (256Mbit is the same thing as 32MB).

OP
N

NovaBurn

No I haven't tried PJ64 yet, I've stuck it out with 1964 and been happy, that subscreen delay isnt that big of a deal, just though it was cause i go the rom off kazaa.

decription

The subscreen delay is known issue listed in the GameFAQ, there is a cheat to fix it. Also, for Link looking odd in the subscreen, that requires frame-buffer emulation. However, that requires a lot of power and isn't nessecary except for there, the GameFAQ also contains info on this. Best of Luck

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Several emulators have Link's subscreen properly emulated with the fast frame-buffer emulation. I don't think, however, that every card can do it without a major performance loss (although i'm not sure, my card, while it can do the FB stuff, has too many glitches with said emulators :doh: ) It's not the end of the world, that's an extremely minor thing as far as i'm concerned.

The subscreen delay, however, is not. It can drive someone crazy, especially in a place such as the Water Temple, not being able to change items quickly. It makes the game lose alot of it's fun IMO. I'm glad it's finally fixed.
Was the subcreen delay issue ever really figured out? I'm guessing it was a bug in the N64 that caused it to work properly, hence it not properly emulated, ever, but i'm just guessing.

CLSugarman

Frame delay, sp1 doesn't fix it, use cheat. but sp1 does have link's subscreen w/o sacrificing speed, make sure you have texture filtering on or else it will look blurrier than it should.

OP
N

NovaBurn

well I would use try and use a different video plugin but Rice's new plugins just look good at all, I have to stick with Jabo's D3D. no fast frame-buffer there. speaking of Jabo, some of the roms I have say use Jabo D3D7 1.4? I can't find that?

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

speaking of Jabo, some of the roms I have say use Jabo D3D7 1.4? I can't find that?

You need to download PJ64 1.4 in order to get that plugin - PJ64 1.4 is available from the emulator downloads section. The plugin is not available seperate from the package (the package is extremely small though).