What's new

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro and Daedalus Problems

GE Master

Sorry to make such a specific topic but I cannot find similar postings anywhere. Believe me, I've read all of the above threads and I cannot get this.

I get some extreme crashes when using Open GL. I'm talking about basically having to restart my computer. Sometimes a game will load the first couple screens but that's about it. I don't know much about the difference between DirectX and OpenGL and if my card can support open gl.

DirectX works, sort of. Just a mess of polygons on the screen. I see some beauty in areas and I really want to see what this latest plugin can do on my system. I'm missing something here. It can't be this difficult but I'm frustrated and posting this hoping for help. Thanks for helping out this Radeon user.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Hmm you really shouldn't be having these problems with a Radeon 9500 pro. What GFX Plugin are you using, Rice's I hope, right? If you are using the latest Rice's you shouldn't have such problems with your card. try updating the drivers, (uninstall the old ones first,) or even downgrading your drivers (Catalyst 3.1 is the newest non-bug-plagued version.) Try reinstalling DX if that doesn't help. Sorry I can't offer more assistance.

OP
GE Master

GE Master

Great thanks for the help fellas. I will take your advice and post my results. I'm sure that I have the latest drivers for the card, but let me see...

Yes I am using the latest plugin version.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Many high-end cards have problems with rice's plugin, afaik. You could use thid 3danalyzer, though...it seems to fix people's problems with high end cards.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
GE Master said:
Sorry to make such a specific topic but I cannot find similar postings anywhere. Believe me, I've read all of the above threads and I cannot get this.

I get some extreme crashes when using Open GL. I'm talking about basically having to restart my computer. Sometimes a game will load the first couple screens but that's about it. I don't know much about the difference between DirectX and OpenGL and if my card can support open gl.

DirectX works, sort of. Just a mess of polygons on the screen. I see some beauty in areas and I really want to see what this latest plugin can do on my system. I'm missing something here. It can't be this difficult but I'm frustrated and posting this hoping for help. Thanks for helping out this Radeon user.
I have the EXACT same problems with my AiW 9700 Pro. I currently am using Omega's hacked 3.2 drivers. I am downloading 3.5 now, and if that doesn't work, I'll try 3DAnalyse.

OP
GE Master

GE Master

Well I've tried out the 3d Analyze and followed that link exactly as laid out there. I'm not sure what the effect is supposed to be exactly. However I can say that this allows me to use the plug-in in DirectX mode! However OpenGL crashed heavily once again after loading up the first few intro parts of a game. What is that program supposed to do? Can anyone tell me if there is advantages to OpenGL over DirectX? Am I missing out??

I'll do a bit more tweaking and see what happens.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Wow, I didn't know Rice's was so messed up...I think he's also given up on ATi cards and is making it only to the specs of his Geforce 4?. So perhaps Rice's isn't the best plugin for Radeon Users, it's only going to get worse. Wow, I knew there were a couple bugs but nothing like this...

Trotterwatch

Well I've tried out the 3d Analyze and followed that link exactly as laid out there. I'm not sure what the effect is supposed to be exactly. However I can say that this allows me to use the plug-in in DirectX mode!

The main fix as you have noticed was it will allow Direct X mode to work (and by all accounts it should look lovely :)). However none of the options in 3D Analyse seem to effect how OpenGL works.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
3DAnalyze worked. But now I installed Omega's Cat 3.5 package, and I don't need 3DAnalyze anymore. :D I haven't tried OpenGL mode yet.

NovaBurn

I get the same issues with my 9000 Pro, although I've heard amany good things about Rice's daedalus, it just is unplayable graphical wise, so I have to stick with Jabo, and I've tried playing on Daedalus since Catalyst 3.2 and it doesnt change.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
I have the same trouble with Rice's plugin on my Radeon 9500 Pro. Unfortunately, the Radeon's OpenGL implementation is very picky about how you use it.

glN64-Smilie.gif

AppleCrow

Hi

3DAnalyze changes only one thing: use T&L software with DX, and it allows only to remove the polygones glitchs. For OpenGL no changes :)

But there's one more thing you can try :)
Go on www.rage3d.com and grab the OpenGL NVidia Wrapper for ATi, which alloxs the Dawn Demo to run on ATi cards. Put the openGL dll in the 1964 directory with the exe, and try Rice OpenGL now (it can allow you to run also the GeForce OpenGL mode,because instructions are wrapped)

Have a nice try :)