What's new

ATI or nVidia?

Who truly is king of the hill?

• Total voters

-Shadow-

Banned
Lol , a triple posting moderator....

The Trillian-Wallhack is not very useful , because it appears very rarely .
I'm not the kind of person who tsheets in online games , it was a complete random finding this "issue" .

one thing :

ONLINE CHEATERS HAVE SMALL WIENERS !

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
21 replies in one night... christ...

From an emulation point of view I go with nvidia obviously, although I do miss my old Banshee with UltraHLE :(

Aside from that though, I only support nvidia so strongly because of my past experience with them. Particularly with my latest card (the soon to be uber obsolete) 5900 ultra, I've had no problems at all, overclocked it a fair old bit and just laughed at the ridiculously high framerates on most of my games.

That said, I've got a friend who swears by his 9800p, and in aquamark he takes me down, and my latest comments about the (shambolic) 5200 haven't been so praise-filled.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Clements said:
MHAHAHAHA!! :p

Won't be seeing these on any Radeon card with lastest drivers!
which is why i haven't budged from Catalyst 3.7 :D. glN64() for both. i lovvve hardware framebuffer :inlove:

in other news, i have a sudden urge to start playing OoT again.... damn you :p

Clements

Says a lot about ATi's "quality drivers" when you have to stay on Catalyst 3.7 drivers that were released 7 months ago in order to get the things you want working at the cost of other things like PC games and new introduced features in the drivers! They're getting better I hear from ATi users... they're just not used to quality nVidia drivers! :p

Trotterwatch

For GL64 I just use an older GL file. I'm using Catalyst 3.10 as the latest versions have been total shit IMO.

Oh and I'll back VampireUK up on both the Gamma and the IM Notification... infuriating stuff.

minkster

i vote for for ati bcuz the card i had before that was an nvidia vanta with 8mb and it sucked so badly it couldnt play mario 64 at full speed on pj64

revl8er

That Damn Good
i vote for for ati bcuz the card i had before that was an nvidia vanta with 8mb and it sucked so badly it couldnt play mario 64 at full speed on pj64

How can you use something like that as a reason not to like nvidia, because an 8mb gfx card will never be able to run any game on pj64 at full speed no matter if it's an ati or nvidia based card. I really can't say that I don't like Ati, because I never owned one so I'm with nvidia.

khanmeister

Banned
My guess is ATI will own the 6800 probably before it is easy to get ahold of.

What's important though is price point, AMD dwarfs Intel on this issue, and is starting to drive innovation and the market while Intel plays catch up.

So far, for x amount of dollars you get a better card with ATI, which makes me think Nvidia will be behind for a while to come.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell....
As hearing all the raedon problems - and the bad drivers, to boot - I've never thought about getting a raedon. Always sticked with nVidia when I learned they were good...

However, with the fuss about the FX cards I've been skeptical about nVidia, too... and I hope I'm not getting a new card too soon... because, really, at the moment I trust neither nVidia or Ati.
When the time comes, however, I think I'll stick with nVidia, I do...

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
minkster said:

roflmfao, worst post ever :p

-Shadow-

Banned
Ahhhhh , gotcha ! Now , i'll kick everyone in the ass who still says Catalyst drivers are crap since 3.8 !

Proudly presented with GLn64 + catalyst 4.4 ^_^

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
khanmeister said:
My guess is ATI will own the 6800 probably before it is easy to get ahold of.

With so many unconfirmed rumors floating about from both camps, I am not quite sure who's gonna up who. What is for certain is that Nvidia with it's 6800u has just raised the bar by a fairly large margin. Both in terms of performance and features. Here is a list of features known on the Nv40 so far(we won't know all until we have these cards in our own hands):

New 4xRGMS FSAA(more modes might be added with driver updates as in the past with Nvidia)
The hybrid mixed mode Super Sampling mode FSAA are still available as well as old OGMS FSAA modes(why?). Super Sampling FSAA + AF is an interesting mix(seems to apply higher AF on textures) ;).
Options to choose Full Trilinear Filtering(actually works now) or older Brilinear filtering
Now has the same angle dependent AF as ATi(less performance hit)
Could also have an option for Nvidia's old Angle independent AF through drivers(larger perf hit)
Shader Model 3 compliancy(how much this will affect future games still remains to be seen) - Far Cry should have it soon though so we can see..
Mpeg/Divx decode/encode in hardware

From the current rumors floating about, it seems that the R420 may be a little faster than the Nv40, but will probably have less features and options. But until all these are confirmed, it's hard to be conclusive.

There's even rumors from some well informed people that the clock speeds on the Nv40's aren't final yet or that Nvidia is waiting for ATi to release information about the R420, then released Higher clocked Nv40's. Like I said, too many unconfirmed rumors at the moment.

Also, it's likely the X800pro with 12 pipes will be competing with the 16 pipe 6800u for a few weeks or a month until Ati Releases it's X800Xt with 16 pipes as well. Who knows, maybe by then Nvidia will be releasing it's higher clocked models to compete with it.

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
For God Sake! Just give your opinion and respect the other people opinions! Me, well my card is very old by now but surely I'll buy a new nVidia card very soon... BTW, if this thread goes all the way like this maybe will be blocked, in the past I remember that I used to make, let' say ehemm.. "smart" polls like this...

sheik124

Emutalk Member
AHA THAT IS WHERE YOUR WRONG minkster, my buddy has an old nVidia Vanta LT 16MB and it tears Mario64 up (lol seriously it does), and IMHO the vanta was a great card, had it in my old box too and it roxxored, and now i have an nVidia GeForce FX 5700 which i will chuck in the newest of my old boxes and replace with possibly the 6900 when it comes out, or i'll wait till i get my FX-5x upgrade for Socket-939 and PCI-E and get an nVidia card with pure PCI-E support, not using their stupid interconnect AGP16 thingymabobbler

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
t0rek I was just giving people an opportunity to express their views. You must admit that it would be interesting to see which really is the more popular.

In any case, by the way you talk it's as if you're some stalwart or something when infact you joined a mere three months before me, lol.

Getting back to graphics though, I'm curious as to whether we're going to need new motherboards to truely take advantage of the PCI express system of the next-gen cards. If we will, there's like... an extra £100 / $170 added on to the price of both cards immediately.

I've got to admit that while I'm technologically aware, I really don't have the time to research these things with the old life-changer exams etc etc...

Clements

I'm glad ATi fixed the framebuffer issue, H3ad5h0tter! Maybe ATi aren't that bad, just screw up on ocaision :p

All I know is that the NV40 vs R420 is likely to be won by nVidia (16 vs 12 pipes, PS3 vs PS2, FP32 vs. FP24.. list goes on), but when ATi release the X800XT then nVidia had better have that NV45 ready if it wants to make sure ATi are beaten for a second time. For this new generation nVidia is now in the driving seat and can have ATi beat as long as they keep their act together.

You were likely CPU limited, my friend, and not gfx card limited.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
H3ad5h0tter said:
Ahhhhh , gotcha ! Now , i'll kick everyone in the ass who still says Catalyst drivers are crap since 3.8 !

Proudly presented with GLn64 + catalyst 4.4 ^_^

So the drivers are fine and dandy because they can play a emulator properly :rolleyes: