What's new

Asus EEE PC, anyone else emulating or playing on one?

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I love mine. Like having an ultra portable all around console system. Plays N64, Amiga, PSX, SNES, NES, Genesis, SMS, GB, GBA, C64, etc... etc.... in a grand fashion. So tiny and small it's easy to take literally anywhere.

Anyway just wondering if there are any other EEE addicts here?

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Actually I've been looking into the Eee lately after having a forum buddy mention it..Hows the resolution on that thing dude? Pretty sick it plays N64 Emulator!

Well it is a 7 inch screen, but very clear and quite readable. It does only do 800x480 max resolution, but a few peeps including myself are working on ways to scale higher resolutions to fit the 800x480. The solution that is currently available allows for this already. I tend to run mine at 800x600 (whcih is slightly smashed to fit the 800x480) still looks great though.

I forgot to mention MAME in my above post also. That one is rather cool to as I have a USB adapter that I plug in so I can use my PSX/GC/XBOX controllers. Then I open the unit up wide and place on it's side (doesn't hurt the system since it's only moving part is the fan). Then when I fire up MAME I can do a rotate on the screen to get a full page resolution for various games. Works out quite nice.

And surprisingly were (EEE user group at large) finding this little guy packs a hella punch for just a 900Mhz P4 mobile. I myself have run Halo, HL2, and TONS of other games on it and they run pretty decent. Obviously most the current FPS games don't work or won't work and some that do work get a little slow when in large outside areas with tons of baddies. But many others work perfect. Numerous other games just work fine. For me though emulation is the main thing I play when there is time.

You can check Youtube for tons of videos of it running all kinds of stuff. Here are a few videos I made in fact.

Again I am just having a blast with it and just wondered if there are others here whom have one or are possibly considering getting one.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
How do you overcome the fact that it only has 512mb of storage?

I'm considering getting one... but I already have a very portable notebook, 13.3" Asus XPS M1330 - which is much more powerful. Still, it's tempting.

Clements

Asus Eee PCs can come with a 2GB/4GB solid state drive, and there is an expansion slot for SD cards for additional storage as well. You likely wouldn't be using the Eee PC as a main system anyway.

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Depending on the model you can get 2/4/8 gig SSD storage and 512meg or 1gig RAM. The unit can use 2gig RAM, which I do have in mine. I have the 4g 701 model and put in an 8gig SD card so it now has 12 gig total storage. Though I can plug in my external USB drive for more if needed.

I doubt many would use this as a main system, though mine has almost become the main machine I use at home quite often. I tend to do many things from my main PC itself, but then use my EEE like a media receiver around the house. So really it has become a very fun toy (or console, hehe). Plenty to goof with, but also some serious gaming when I have the time to do so.