What's new

ASUS A7N8X-VM/400 Driving Me Nuts

sheik124

Emutalk Member
this board is being a beotch, i will tell you that from the beginning
i tried everything and all i get when i turn it on is a long annoying BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP, it isn't loud like the beep my HP makes when i do something wrong (eg. forget to plug in monitot cable, yes it beeps when i do that) its not queit either, its just a noise it makes, and won't shut up
all the components are new, and they work fine as i have swapped and everything seems in order, i called asus an hour.5 ago and they told me they'd get back to me due to "High Caller Load", but no call yet, gonna wait till midnight. this pc isn't for me, i am making it for my skool and its being....a beotch.
Specs:
ASUS A7N8X-VM/400 Mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Kingston value stuff 256MB PC3200
Floppy
some seagate 7200 rpm 80 gig drive, barracuda or something like that
a samsung cdrw/dvd combo that is not plugged inb in anyway but is in the case nontheless
foxconn m-atx case

since i am making two and my hands are too beat up to make the second tonight, i will try using some components from the second set as well, to try and figure out whats fsked up

Knuckles

be sure all is CORRECTLY & FIRMELY inserted, I had a problem with my A7V8X, my CPU fan wasn't correctly inserted and I couldn't boot up.

make sure you ram is at the bottom, both side notches are closed, make sure you CPU is also correct, try removing them and re-insert them after, try to boot only with CPU/RAM/video (and keyboard only).

Eagle

aka Alshain
Knuckles said:
be sure all is CORRECTLY & FIRMELY inserted, I had a problem with my A7V8X, my CPU fan wasn't correctly inserted and I couldn't boot up.

make sure you ram is at the bottom, both side notches are closed, make sure you CPU is also correct, try removing them and re-insert them after, try to boot only with CPU/RAM/video (and keyboard only).

A long never ending beep is memory. Either its not plugged in correctly or its just not compatible with your system. Did you take heed to the types of memory suggested on the ASUS website for your motherboard?

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X&langs=09

Kingston PC3200 512MB KVR400X64C25 / 512

This is the only recommended Kingston model. And its 512MB

Last edited:

Alchy

That's good advice: A long beep is usually because ram has shifted/come loose/wasn't put in properly. Make sure the little clips at the side are secure, give the ram a good push.

btw a little trick, if the beeping is irritatingly loud, is to put some thick tape (paper/elec/gaffa tape) over the piezo speaker. It won't damage it, and it will seriously reduce the volume.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i like that trick, cus it turns out that isn't the beep i am hearing, its a squeak this thing makes when its connected to power, PSU switch is on, and PC is off, unless the ram is bad (gonna buy some PC2700 as this is 333FSB, i have heard much of asus mobo's pickiness). but i powered it on and this it what it does
Beeeep-Beep-Beep

which in the award bios means:
1 Long, 2 Short A video error has occurred and the Bios cannot initialise the video screen to display any additional information.

this is known to happen with integrated GPUs if the ram is bad cos then the GPU has no ram (doy!) i'll see what happens with the new ram

Alchy

"Beeeeeeeeep beep-beep" usually means that your graphics card isn't seated properly. If you've got an onboard graphics chipset, try putting an AGP graphics card in (if you have an AGP port) and see what happens. There will probably be a jumper setting to disable the onboard video.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i called asus and i know why this thing was bitching at me, it was screwed in too tight, cus this damned case is so F'ed up unlike anything i have ever seen before, therefore grounded, so it would squeal when off and when i turned it on give me that beeeep-beep-beep, but now i have it out of the case with just ATX12V and the switch in the case hooked to it and it works fine, he told me to get some plastic standoffs from radioshack (i think thats what their called) and put them in the screw holes, then put the mobo on those and push em in (they are those things that have 2 perpendicular lines cut through them so you can push those 4 segments together to release them right) and then it cannot make contact to the metal in the case and cannot be grounded. And folks, this is the end of our story and also the longest sentence i have ever seen.

Alchy

What were the chances, eh ;)

I don't know what to suggest. Flash the mobo with the most up-to-date bios available?