What's new

Aspect Ratio

Guessmaster

I'm wondering if Chankast stretches the image width. Here are screenshots from Chankast and the Dreamcast's S-Video out.

Chankast

Dreamcast

The Dreamcast adds black bars on the sides so that the image width is 570 or so pixels, while Chankast apparently stretches it to all 640 pixels.

S0LAR

easy enough to find out. look for some image that is supposed to be perfectly circular. a moon in the night sky, for example. it will look right in one of the cases, and distorted in the other, that way you can tell which one is the way it's meant to look.

Buff Jigsaw

This is because a tv has a different pixel aspect. Hopefully future versions of Chankast will have aspect correction. However, VGA mode should be correctly.

OP
G

Guessmaster

This is because a tv has a different pixel aspect.
Could you explain the difference, out of curiousity?

Dreamcast displays the picture similarly with VGA output, except the Dreamcast boot logo is in 640 pixels.

I'd make a disc with pictures of circles and stuff with a DC image viewer and use that for comparision, but I don't have access to the computer with Chankast at the moment.

Buff Jigsaw

Guessmaster said:
Could you explain the difference, out of curiousity?

Dreamcast displays the picture similarly with VGA output, except the Dreamcast boot logo is in 640 pixels.

I'd make a disc with pictures of circles and stuff with a DC image viewer and use that for comparision, but I don't have access to the computer with Chankast at the moment.

A pixel on a computer monitor is square whereas a pixel on a tv screen is rectangular. The image aspect of a tv and a monitor are close but each have different pixel aspects. So if you were to take a 720X486 D1 ntsc frame, you would need to resize it to 640X480 (creating a very slight vertical stretch) in order to view it on a monitor correctly.

ScorpionZero

Interesting, how did you take the exact same picture from both sources? It looks like you got it on the same frame too. :happy:

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
give me a gun please, i'm gonna liberate the forum from those guys

it's the worst thread ever, it sould be closed before they develop other stupid theories like "no-real balck screen (when you switch on your tv) wich is not implemented yet in chankast"...

Last edited:

Clements

Nightmare said:
it's the worst thread ever, it sould be closed before they develop other stupid theories of the no-real balck screen (when you switch on your tv) wich is not implemented yet in chankast...

Er... don't know what offended you here...

Chankast obviously doesn't have aspect correction yet as the shots shows. I'm sure the authors will implement an aspect ratio correction feature later on, since it is a feature that quite a few emulators provide (eg. ePSXe, ZSNES).

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Clements said:
Er... don't know what offended you here...

Chankast obviously doesn't have aspect correction yet as the shots shows. I'm sure the authors will implement an aspect ratio correction feature later on, since it is a feature that quite a few emulators provide (eg. ePSXe, ZSNES).

a screenshot of a guy who is unable to set his tv parameters correctly ?

a pixel is a pixel, you can't correct his aspect, or you have to connect your computer on a tv screen if you want to obtain the same result...

concerning epsxe, zsnes an other emulators, its not an aspect correction, they only add differents screen mode, and add the possibility to output the result in differents ways (with stretching/scalling features)... it's not the same thing.

an image with 640x480 pixels on chankast has also 64Ox480 pixels with the dreamcast, so want do you want to correct ? those guys clearly don't know what they're talking about...

when i said the thread should be closed, it was not a request, it was just a manner to tell them what i think about their theories...

Last edited:

br0w4r

SOLDIER First Class
Wow she is soo Fat on chanka ;]
You can just make chanka window a little thinner. its not resizing whole image if u move just the side ur moving so u can get normal aspect manually :)

HowardC

Your post's soul is mine!
Nightmare said:

a pixel is a pixel, you can't correct his aspect, or you have to connect your computer on a tv screen if you want to obtain the same result...

Agreed.... besides on the real console it didn't really matter about the aspect ratio because the dreamcast outputted everything to a 3:4 ratio, as it should. You only have to worry about resolutions on newer consoles that support progressive scan and all this other nonsense.

Also it should be noted that your video card will NOT do this for you. As you said you need to adjust it. And yes the tv-out and the regular monitor out have seperate adjustment settings on any decent video card.

Buff Jigsaw

HowardC said:
Agreed.... besides on the real console it didn't really matter about the aspect ratio because the dreamcast outputted everything to a 3:4 ratio, as it should. You only have to worry about resolutions on newer consoles that support progressive scan and all this other nonsense.

Also it should be noted that your video card will NOT do this for you. As you said you need to adjust it. And yes the tv-out and the regular monitor out have seperate adjustment settings on any decent video card.

you mean 4:3 aspect, not 3:4. Anyhow, you are wrong.

Buff Jigsaw

Nightmare said:

concerning epsxe, zsnes an other emulators, its not an aspect correction, they only add differents screen mode, and add the possibility to output the result in differents ways (with stretching/scalling features)... it's not the same thing.

an image with 640x480 pixels on chankast has also 64Ox480 pixels with the dreamcast, so want do you want to correct ? those guys clearly don't know what they're talking about...

when i said the thread should be closed, it was not a request, it was just a manner to tell them what i think about their theories...

"a pixel is a pixel" is ignorance. Why would an anamorphic dvd appear correct on a widescreen tv unless the pixels were strethced horizontally? A non anamorphic dvd (SAME DAMN RESOLUTION) would appear incorrect on a widescreen tv. That is because real time correction occurs dumbass. An anamophic dvd is corrected to view on a non-widscreen tv correctly. Real time aspect correction. D1 was invented many decades ago and is not resolute in its pixel dispersion. You need to understand this if you are going to understand the past 20 years of video games being played on pc monitors and modern tvs.

If you worked in broadcast or vfx you would understand that it is not a simple matter of authoring on pc then exporting to ntsc.

you need to understand that if you are preparing an image for ntsc playback you need to compensate for its natural distortion. If you plan to view the result on a pc you need to counter compensate the distortion.

it is not a theory, it is plain fact.

Last edited:

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
Buff Jigsaw said:
"a pixel is a pixel" is ignorance.

really ? your are a funny guy ! do you know what is a pixel ??? it's only the result of a signal send by your computer or your console, the result of an impact signal on a crt screen and the result of a reaction signal on a lcd screen... since it's only a signal you can't have any control on it (except for color of course)...

Buff Jigsaw said:
it is not a theory, it is plain fact..

plain fact ? really ? this "plain fact" is based on how it look like, and i told you how it work in the real world !

Last edited:
the Black border around the edges on the dreamcast is for overscan on your TV, you also get this on some DVD's, Some N64 games (F-Zero). instead of making the image fill the resolution they some times put a black border round the edges as it takes up less info on DVD's and less processing on console games

OzTm

Nightmare: You're not correcting the pixel. You are correcting the IMAGE taking into consideration the type of pixels that compose it! So just let it be, cause this has gone too far already.

Buff Jigsaw

Nightmare said:
really ? your are a funny guy ! do you know what is a pixel ??? it's only the result of a signal send by your computer or your console, the result of an impact signal on a crt screen and the result of a reaction signal on a lcd screen... since it's only a signal you can't have any control on it (except for color of course)...

plain fact ? really ? this "plain fact" is based on how it look like, and i told you how it work in the real world !

*sigh*...read this... http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1809a.htm

here is a quote if your lazy.

"Editing DV or D1 source footage accurately in Adobe After Effects can be challenging because DV and D1 footage consists of non-square pixels while computer monitors use square pixels to display images; this difference often causes DV and D1 footage to appear stretched on computer monitors. Because of the discrepancy between square and non-square pixels, graphics created with square pixels may not scale correctly in non-square compositions. By using the correct composition preset, preparing graphics with the appropriate frame size, and interpreting the pixel aspect ratio of imported files correctly, you can accurately edit, view, and export non-square pixel source footage. For more information, see "About D1, DV, and various pixel aspect ratio footage," "Setting pixel aspect ratio," and "Using square-pixel footage for output to D1 or DV NTSC" in After Effects Help."

Buff Jigsaw

For the record I am fully aware that IF the DC does EVERYTHING internally at 640X480 than it should be proper on both pc and tv. However, the original post pics on this thread looked exactly like a classic ntsc capture that did not scale properly on a pc. The DC's signal mode must be dynamic. Does RE have variable output modes?

OR, the orignal pics were CAPTURES rather than Chankast in which case it makes sense that they are the inconsistent.

Last edited: