What's new

ARH! my new pc won't even BOOT UP! HELP!

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
"Another cause of this problem can be if you have a short-circuit on your motherboard due to the way you have mounted it in your computer housing. Check the traces near your mounting studs, and generally make sure there is no contact whatsoever between the PCB and any part of the case."

this is qouted from a Paul's Unofficial Abit KR7A-raid faq website, can someone tell me exactly pcb means and what the whole meaning of it is? i think this might be the prob but i can't understand the achromny they are using...help again:)

Well this means that there must be no contact beetween the motherboard card(it's circuit) and the case(via the screws),in other words you must mount the motherboard right,but I don't think this is the problem,anyway maybe.Just put the mobo outside the case and try it that way,if it's not working it's not that reason.

I know that you said you tried it and with a 500w power supply,but anyway you must know that your 250w is too little for this monster,if you don't want to have problems and in the future you must get a new power supply,no matter what the real problem now is.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
ok, what kinds of problems would i experience if i did use the 250 watts, AND don't you think the 250 watts would be able to just start it up and use it just to verify that the mother board works?? what are the consequences of having a low wattage power source too? i don't know that either???

Last edited:
The consequences of having a lower power supply are lockups with no obvious reason,system instability generally.Anyway for your problem now,you must know
that the biggest percent for the reason goes to the power supply.Some other things can be the reason too but in less extent.Have you tried with the motherboard outside the case and
the 500w power supply?If not do it.

Last edited:
Josep said:
what are the consequences of having a low wattage power source too? i don't know that either???
Ok in theory this can be the answer to your problem too although
I doubt.The only way to find out is to connect it in another place.

Acorn

I'm running a similar system on 300, and its fine.

What I ment by shorting out was the motherboard toughing metal anywhere - if you screwed the mobo directly into the case, with no plastic/whatever inbetweens, this could cause your problem.

Yes, 250w will power up your system fine. Thats not the problem.

Q: Does your power supply's, or your friends power supply's, fan power up?

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
yes, hehe, everything is fine now, got it to work:) parts of the case were touching the motherboard when they should not have:)

gokuss4

Meh...
??? man i hate it when computers do that although has never happen to me :cool: I have a 300 watt power supply and my system works fine also.

Gorxon

Administrator
I have a 250 watts power supply for an Athlon and a Geforce card. (Believe me, geforce consume lots of power...). Although, it works fine. Had some problems with lockups at the start (when i changed from my banshee to my geforce) but for some reason they are gone now :)