What's new

Apple switches to Intel processors! Mac Intel inside™

Martin

Administrator
http://www.macrumorslive.com/web/
http://news.com.com/Apple+throws+the+switch,+aligns+with+Intel/2100-7341_3-5733756.html?tag=nl
http://stream.apple.akadns.net/

SAN FRANCISCO--After years of trying to get people to switch to Macs from Intel-based computers, Apple Computer itself has switched.

CEO Steve Jobs announced Monday that Apple will gradually shift its Mac line to Intel-based chips over the next two years. The move confirms a timetable first reported by CNET News.com.

Jobs' announcement formed the centerpiece of a keynote speech to Mac programmers attending the company's annual Worldwide Developer Conference here. The conference, expected to draw some 3,800 attendees this year, is a traditional venue for Apple product launches.
"Mac OS X has been leading a secret double life the past five years."
--Steve Jobs
Apple Computer CEO

In his speech, Jobs revealed that Apple has been developing all versions of OS X since its inception to run on Intel and PowerPC chips.

"Mac OS X has been leading a secret double life the past five years," he said.

The move to Intel marks a tectonic shift for Apple, which has used processors from IBM and Motorola (now Freescale Semiconductor) throughout the life of the Mac. However, the company has changed architectures before, shifting in the 1990s from Motorola's 68000 family of chips to the PowerPC architecture jointly developed by IBM and Motorola.

W00t :D :happy:

Jakob

evil *******
did you read the mac zealots attempts to debunk the rumour over the weekend, it was bloody hilarious, they seem to have shut up now though, too bad:p

Quvack

I'm definetly looking forward to seeing how this pans out over the next few years, it's gonna be interesting to see what happens when the new OS wars begin :p and it'll be interesting to hear which sort of Intel chip/architechure Apple choose to use for their systems.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
This is good news for the us Intel Zealots even if its bad news for the Mac ones, yay Intel! ;)

zilmar

Emulator Developer
With looking at wine, and MacOS X .. I might be very interested in getting off windows

Amon_Knives

Film Student
eh, Mac has never worked for me in the past. It's too focused on music and stuff. It's very fluid though, I like that, because windows is very cluncky. Still, I don't think Mac will stand a chance against Windows, especially if the rumor is true that their finally getting their act together to try to fix a lot of bugs...but thats just a rumor. Windows is good for me, Mac was a little annoying, and I can't stand Linux.

[Bold/]later[Bold] lol [Italic/]suck my balls Linux[Italic]

PS: R Kelly is the shit!!! he's my idol!!!!!!1111!@@@!#!#3!21~!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stezo2k

S-2K
Heard this about a week back on BBC news, back then it was a romour and it did come to be quite a shock when it was confirmed. Makes me wonder if the chips will be x86 and if so that could be a very interesting concept, a higher chance of the MacOS being used on a PC full speed.... obviously wishful thinking i know, but still...

Gorxon

Administrator
The chips will be x86. At least Jobs demonstrated OSX running on a P4.

Anyhow, OSX will not run on PCs, they have taken their steps to prevent that. Of course, an emulator that runs it really quickly is possible I'm sure. Or that you somhow crack it to run on PC BIOS. Time will show...

blizz

I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million mac zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
blizz said:
I felt something, a disturbance in the network, as if a million mac zealots cried out in horror and were suddenly silenced.
are you sure there are a million? (couldn't resist =P)

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Heard somewhere that Intel is working on some type of new anti-piracy system for this... could be just rumours.

Flash

Technomage
Gorxon said:
The chips will be x86. At least Jobs demonstrated OSX running on a P4.

Anyhow, OSX will not run on PCs, they have taken their steps to prevent that. Of course, an emulator that runs it really quickly is possible I'm sure. Or that you somhow crack it to run on PC BIOS. Time will show...

Of course it will be cracked :D

P.S. I won't buy new mac if it will be Prescott-based. If it will be some kind of P-M - well, that's ok :)

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Fools! How can you condone this?? Its all part of the globilization of America!
Linux is gaining precidence in countries like India and those other half baked terriorist sess pools. So the US is trying to keep the computer industry controled by US friendly companies. The day will come when the world is filled with globomega-cooperations and Wal-Mart and McDonalds will be at the front of the pack, in there crazy planetary orbiting mega food chains.
Where am I? Hold me.

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
It's kind of funny how Apple's switching to Intel processors at the same time as Microsoft, PC supporter, is switching to PowerPC. Well, sort of - they're using it for the Xbox 360. But, it's still kind of interesting.