What's new

Anyone have experience with rounded IDE cables?

Allnatural

I've read both good and bad. I would really like to tidy up the wiring in my case, so I'm now weighing the promise of increased airflow against the possibility of data corruption. What say you? Any recommended brands?

Slougi

Well, apart from ones i made myself I don't really have any experience. From what I have seen with the ones I made, airflow does iincrease a lot, and i saw no data corruption. And they look cool too ;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Allnatural said:
Here's what I bought from www.plycon.com . Highly recommended by MaximumPC.

Much cheaper than Thermaltakes, thats for sure. Really IDE cables are IDE cables, I cant imagine one being worse than the other.

Reznor007

Eagle said:
Allnatural said:
Here's what I bought from www.plycon.com . Highly recommended by MaximumPC.

Much cheaper than Thermaltakes, thats for sure. Really IDE cables are IDE cables, I cant imagine one being worse than the other.

It transmits digital data...unless the cable isn't making a connection, it's going to work, or it's going to fail :)

ra5555

N64 Newbie
yep, and I got this problem now with my ide cable connecting to my cd rom is broken I think, Lucky its my computer is still under warranty so I am got to have to take the computer back to the shop next week

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yes, but what is the likelyhood that a brand new IDE cable is going to fail regardless of what company makes it. Really any idiot with the right tools & pieces can make them.

It could be bad when you get it, but then you just send it back. As for "Is it long lasting?" Well IDE cables usually dont go bad unless you abuse them physically and then they can still take a beating.

Eagle

aka Alshain
As a matter of fact, round cables are probably more sturdy than flat ones. Flat ones can be pulled and wires inside can break a lot easier because they are not reinforced by the outer plastic/rubber/copper lining that the round ones have. In addition flat cables can easily be punctured which will ruin them. But again the round ones have that lining around them to prevent puncture.