What's new

Anyone get a Core 2 Duo yet? Tried Dolphin?

bohdy

I'm quite interested in how Dolphin performs on the new Conroe chips.

Full speed is still quite doubtful, but this could be a step forward that is indicative of things to come.

TerraPhantm

If kentsfield wasn't coming out in January, I might've gotten conroe. Core 2 should show how CPU limited Dolphin was, because it is a good bit faster then K8.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes and no. This laptop has a core duo but I haven't tried dolphin. I doubt it would run much faster anyway.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Dolphin won't run fast on a dualcore (it's not designed to use multiple cores), however there were plans to run the core and gfxplugin on different cores/threads...

OP
B

bohdy

Doom: Actually that would be just a "no", as the Core Duo is a less advanced chip compared to the recently released Core 2 Due.

Falcon: Even so, the individual cores in the Core 2 are significantly faster than any single core chip currently released. There should be a speed increase anywhere from 20% to 50% from the top Athlon 64 to the top Core 2.

Knuckles

You won't see a damn different whatever what is the power of your PC.... maybe lik 1 or 2 FPS, wait for the emu to get better.. and the PCs to get 500% faster :p

bouncerboy15

Knuckles said:
You won't see a damn different whatever what is the power of your PC.... maybe lik 1 or 2 FPS, wait for the emu to get better.. and the PCs to get 500% faster :p
Core 2 Duo chips are very impressive. It beats the fillings out of the top AMD chips.

OP
B

bohdy

cooliscool said:
That they are.. I wouldn't doubt a nice increase in speed in any emulator.

Yep. I think that even Dolphin might see a noticeable difference.

By-the-by, it's odd how PS2 emulation seems to be faster than GC emulation right now, even with the more complex architecture.

I'm not sure what ector and F|RES are doing these days, but I think that Dolphin could still use quite a bit of optimisation. Afaik the all the T&L is being done on the CPU, which could potentially be moved to the vertex shaders, or at least to another core. Ditto for the audio.

And I'd guess the the recompiler is not nearly optimal right now either. IMHO we could see near playable framerates with Dolphin on the Core 2 range of processor (which can clock up to 4GH on air alone, meaning insane performance when considering the efficiency per clock of the architecture) with some major optimisations.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Because PCSX2 has a lot more hacks than Dolphin, it's developed by more people, and it's worked on more frequently. Gamecube could be emulated fullspeed right now on an average PC given the right amount of hacks and the right team.

BlueFalcon7

Are you implying HLE hacks? Because pretty much everyone whos in on GC emulation, and emulation support is right here on emutalk. Im sure we could find other people willing to help. One reason the GC emulation isnt doing as well is because its so private. We need to find more people intrested in programming, and helping us out, like the PS2 emulation.