What's new

another question! :) best emu?

smegforbrain

I've been trying out Project64, and I like the GoodNes screen that tells me what runs of the games I've got and what doesn't.

Is there one emulator that is really standing out atm as the best overall, plays the most games, etc? Or do each have their strengths and I might need to have a couple for different games?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
PJ64 is quite honestly the "best" emulator, as defined by compatibility & stability mainly. 1964 is another good one. You should really be able to play all games on one emulator, unless they are ones that are difficult or impossible (today) to emulate. and with plugins for everything as with N64 emulators make emulators themselves a much smaller role in the whole process.

scotty

The Great One
nephalim said:
PJ64 is quite honestly the "best" emulator, as defined by compatibility & stability mainly. 1964 is another good one. You should really be able to play all games on one emulator, unless they are ones that are difficult or impossible (today) to emulate. and with plugins for everything as with N64 emulators make emulators themselves a much smaller role in the whole process.

Agreed to an extent Nephalim. It depends if you have a fast processor or not. 1964 is faster since it has a dynamic compiler. however PJ64 is stable since Jabo coded all the default plugins, and they work together. I use 1964 for games by Rare because of the high system requirement that is needed for these games in PJ64.

If Jabo and the PJ64 team came out with another version of PJ64 and it had dynamic cmopiler support, then maybe it would be fastest emulator.

The 1964 version 1.0 will be coming out sometime soon, perhaps it will be as stable as PJ64.

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
There's no denying that PJ64 is slow and if you have a below-spec machine a faster emulator either alone or in conjunction with PJ64 is a must.

Allnatural

scotty said:
1964 is faster since it has a dynamic compiler...If Jabo and the PJ64 team came out with another version of PJ64 and it had dynamic cmopiler support, then maybe it would be fastest emulator.
False. Recompiler = Dynamic Recompiler.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Project 64 for compatability, but 1964 for speed. The next 1964 release might have better compatability than pj64 though. We'll just have to wait and see.

ShadowPrince

Both 1964 and Pj64 are amazing emulators,but i give an edge to 1964,imo is the best by speed and compatibility,at least on my computer with my set of roms.The only minus in 1964,it's relatively hard to configure for a beginner and some minor gui problems.
Both emulators have dynarec ,but 1964's dynarec is much faster.

Rice

Emulator Developer
1964's dynarec is faster. And PJ64 is using RSP for LLE audio by default, becomes even slower than using HLE audio. However, it is not a big deal now if you have a faster PC. Since PIII 1GHz is fast enough, PJ can actually run fast enough for most current PCs for most games.

(PJ core is not the fastest. But Jabo's D3D video plugin is definitely one of the fastest.)

Last edited:

ShadowPrince

It is a big deal,Rice :)
My computer is not fast enough to play some games
full speed without slowdowns on Pj64,i guess speed will be even more an issue with 1ghz setup.
But i agree most games can be played full speed on much slower processors.

Naaman AB

PJ64 v1.5 with SP is the most stable, user-friendly emulator emulating the N64 out there.
Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1 video plugin will not freeze, crash, is fast, conveys the textures so accurately, it supports every video card in this thread and
smegforbrain, with a system like yours, you've no reason to complain about speed. stick with the stability level of PJ 64 v1.5 NOW!!:)

OP
smegforbrain

smegforbrain

Naaman AB said:
smegforbrain, with a system like yours, you've no reason to complain about speed. stick with the stability level of PJ 64 v1.5 NOW!!:)

*chuckle* Trust me, I'm not complaining about speed at all. :)
Just want to keep the # of emulators I've got to use to a minimum.

I mean, it's great only having to use one emu for SNES and Genesis, but I've still got to use something other than Jnes for NES due to mapper 5 games... just doesn't mean I have to like it. :)