What's new

Announcement: Cycle-accurate N64 development underway.

Nintendo Maniac

It just hit me. Being an emulator focused on accuracy, widescreen hacks will be out of the question wouldn't it... or would such a thing be part of the theoretical "OpenGL accelerated render plugin" that you mentioned before?

F

Fanatic 64

I have actually been thinking on something. If this emulator supposedly outputs in the resolution and aspect ratio the game runs at, then what would happen with games that run at resolutions such as 640x240 (Mid-res) and let the TV stretch it to 4:3 (640x480)? Would this emulator allow for an option to stretch non-4:3 resolutions (like 640x240 (Top Gear Overdrive), 640x220 (Perfect Dark), etc) to their closest 4:3 resolution (640x480)? Maybe by stretching the final frame with bilinear filter or something like that.

You know, like the higan/bsnes option "Aspect ratio correction".

(Maybe we could also include a hack to force games to run at 640x480, trough I don't know how feasible would be that whiting an emulator that works so closely like the real N64.)

(And we maybe also could include an option to stretch the final frame to the closest 16:9 resolution (like 854x480), for games that include a widescreen option.)

Nintendo Maniac

He is already considering a "force high-res mode" (aka 640x480) after I suggested it earlier.

And speaking about aspect ratios, World Driver Championship's hi-res mode runs at something like 640x240 but actually runs in that aspect ratio as well, that is 8:3 (or something close to that). However the in-game menus still run at 4:3, maybe even at 320x240p. This means that the emulator would have to dynamically change the window/fullscreen aspect ratio on the fly if you want "hi-res" mode to horizontally fill a widescreen monitor without the top & bottom of the main menu getting cut off.

Last edited:

Emutalkguy

So what is the current progress on this emulator? When is an expected release? And the most important (and god I hope you answer yes) question... Will there be NETPLAY/MULTIPLAYER ONLINE?

Please. Just.... Please.

Nintendo Maniac

The answer to all of those is most likely unknown at this point because it's not even running any actual games yet, not even homebrew.

Nevertheless, regarding online, even if this emulator does not implement it, someone could enable it via porting this to a RetroArch module since RetroArch supports online. However, we previously already discussed RetroArch to death, so it'd be better to not go into that subject again.

Last edited:
OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
So what is the current progress on this emulator? When is an expected release? And the most important (and god I hope you answer yes) question... Will there be NETPLAY/MULTIPLAYER ONLINE?

Please. Just.... Please.

1) Read the last few pages.
2) I've seen it before in regards to other things...

**No "features" that are not absolutely required for gameplay of any kind are immediate goal/promise. I'm a one man team working on an emulator that's being written from scratch, and most of my time is spent after work/early in the morning.**

Please ask me if I'm going to support X technology or Y feature. I don't know. Maybe I will down the road, maybe I won't. I don't want to make promises I can't keep, and I'm already spending a lot of time on this thing as it is.

I won't even have a GUI until I get sound/video/basic input working.

Nintendo Maniac

I told you it was a crazy idea. :p

And from a bit of research I can confirm that yes, World Driver Championship does get a performance benefit from overclocking the N64. Note that 1964 Ultra Fast can NOT run WDC at all since, AFAIK, the only playable emulator configuration uses PJ64 v1.5, and PJ64 obviously lacks overclocking.

Last edited:
OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
I told you it was a crazy idea. :p

And from a bit of research I can confirm that yes, World Driver Championship does get a performance benefit from overclocking the N64. Note that 1964 Ultra Fast can NOT run WDC at all since, AFAIK, the only playable emulator configuration uses PJ64 v1.5, and PJ64 obviously lacks overclocking.

zilmar seems to be active again. Perhaps you should ask him to?

Nintendo Maniac

Getting both WDC AND overclocking to be natively supported in PJ64 would be quite the long shot. The only way WDC even works is via a hacked RSP for the Z64 LLE plugin, and even that isn't perfect. (The American version of WDC has some minor texture issues and the European version has very annoying texture issues)

EDIT: maybe not as much of a long shot as I thought:
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showpost.php?p=43385&postcount=5

...oh wait, you yourself have posted in that thread. :p So that's where your actual dev and coding discussions happen at...

Last edited:

dsx

zilmar has set up the latest pj64 alpha version to boot WDC without changing any settings (automatically uses LLE and such)

Nintendo Maniac

Race on Sydney A and go through the first hairpin that's about 1/3 through the track. I particularly noticed the framerate drop in hi-res mode (it's moderately minor, but there)

Also I haven't played the game in quite a while, but considering I noticed the framerate drop even back then, I wouldn't be surprised if less-noticable drops occurred more frequently.

Last edited:

dsx

Ah yeah, maybe i did notice and just forgot

Still runs surprisingly well considering how great the game looks

Nintendo Maniac

zilmar has set up the latest pj64 alpha version to boot WDC without changing any settings (automatically uses LLE and such)
Oh, I gotta ask, how does PJ64 handle the "cinema-widescreen" aspect ratio of 'hi-res mode' in combination with the 4:3 ratio of the main menu?

Nintendo Maniac

Acknowledged and replied.

EDIT: I'm not getting email notification of PMs? The crap...

EDIT 2: Email notification has been fixed.

Last edited:
OP
MarathonMan

MarathonMan

Emulator Developer
Implemented a skew of RSP functions; everything is written in SSSE3/SSE4.1, and there are no loops anywhere. For an interpreter, this thing is screaming.

Still have to implement all the vector compares (except VEQ), VMAC*, VMOV, VMRG, VMUL*, VRCP*, VRND*, VRS*, and VSAR... other than that, the RSP is nearing completion!