What's new

Analog Control Questions

Thelps

Hi, As you can see from my post-count I'm new to these boards.

I have an analog controller for my PC (Big Ben Interactive, USB PS2 Style controller with 2 Analog Sticks). It's fully configured with its drivers under Windows and Windows happily detects all 360 degrees of analog movement as well as different levels of scale (how far the stick is pushed in each direction).

I have configured it in Project 64 with NRage's controller plugin but the analog stick only seems to detect the four (cardinal) directions of movement (up, down, left and right) and only one level scale. This means in a platform game i can move in one of four directions (instead of in 360 degrees) and at only one speed. No matter how far I push the stick my character always moves at a full run or not at all.

I have tried playing with the Analog Stick range setting etc but that isn't the problem. I was wondering, does Project 64 not support full analog compatibility, or am I doing something wrong? At the moment my analog stick is operating as if it was just a glorified D-pad. I'm trying to get it to function as the wonder of precision control it should be.

Thanks for your time/answers. :)

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
im glad you asked

with the nrage plugin it sets the control setting to the Axis, and not to a directional mapping, so when you press up, it just makes note that you moved the thumb stick up.

when you move it left,.. it notes you moved it towards the left

when you play a game, it will accurately read the control as best it can.

to move diagonally, the plugin reads that you have moved the joystick to xx on the X axis and yy on the Y axis,.. it then determines whether this reading should be moving diagonally or not.

...sorry if im confusing or wrong.. im a bit tired tonight.

OP
T

Thelps

Thanks for your response Squall.

Ok, so it's not possible for the plugin to read any other directions than up, down, left, right and a diagonal combination of those?

What I mean is, on my N64 console, if I push the stick a TINY bit forward my character will edge forward, push it a little bit more forward and he'll walk, push it all the way and he'll run, etc. Also, if I push the stick a tiny bit to the left or the right he will move in exactly that direction, not just either forward, backwards, left, right or a diagonal combination of those. In other words, it's true 360 degree control, rather than just 8 direction control like you get with a D-Pad. And also there's scale, the further in a direction I push my stick, the faster in that direction the platform-game character moves.

I assume there are no Project 64 plugins that support true 360 degree control? Or have I just set my controller up wrong?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
what you are asking,.. works fine for me on a modified xbox type s control.

as its the axis values that determine whether you move diagonally.

Toasty

Sony battery
I don't suppose your controller has a button on it that allows your directional pad and analog stick to 'switch places'? (Causes the the D-pad to be interpreted as an analog stick and the stick movements to be interpreted as D-pad button presses.) If they were switched you'd only get four virtual buttons out of the analog stick.

OP
T

Thelps

Sigh, Toasty, you're my man.

I feel like an idiot (and rightly so) but this controller hasn't been used in a while and I had no idea I had to activate the central switch to make the analog stick operate seperately to the D-Pad. Your insight saved my gaming. :D

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread for your help and politeness. :)

Problem Solved.

Last edited: