What's new

An N64 ROM That is not Playable?

Iconoclast

I think people overestimate the number of N64 ROMs that are unplayable. I found out how to emulate Star Wars - Rogue Squadron and Top Gear Overdrive, while this user I know says the PJ64 team told him Top Gear Overdrive will probably never be properly emulated. That's crap. Took me hours of testing, but I found out how.

In this thread, I would like everyone to list the N64 ROMs that they think are not playable. I do this so I can confirm each ROM, myself, and see if it's REALLY unplayable.

So far, the only ROMs I have found unplayable are Star Wars - Battle for Naboo (still testing, but seems hopeless) and GameShark Pro Unl. (completely hopeless).

Any additions or thoughts?

Clements

Games that are unplayable with all currently released plugins/emulators:

Dark Rift
Hey You, Pikachu!
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Ide Yosuke no Mahjong Juku
Mario no Photopie
Michael Owens WLS 2000
Star Wars - Rogue Squadron
Star Wars - Battle for Naboo
World Driver Championship
Stunt Racer 64

Bighead did a lot of work testing games here:

http://bmgcl.emuxhaven.net/n64mgcl/N64ConfigList.htm

Most of these games are not supported due to unimplemented custom microcodes that have not been reverse engineered.

Last edited:

axcc123

Hungry For Answers
1.7 beta plays a lot of stuff like battle for naboo. but it's slow and freezes sometimes. 1.7 beta aslo plays rogue squadron as well but not at full speed

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Clements said:
Games that are unplayable with all currently released plugins/emulators:

Dark Rift
Hey You, Pikachu!
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Ide Yosuke no Mahjong Juku
Mario no Photopie
Michael Owens WLS 2000
Star Wars - Rogue Squadron
Star Wars - Battle for Naboo
World Driver Championship
Stunt Racer 64

Bighead did a lot of work testing games here:

http://bmgcl.emuxhaven.net/n64mgcl/N64ConfigList.htm

Most of these games are not supported due to unimplemented custom microcodes that have not been reverse engineered.
Strange. I was able to play Hey You, Pikachu! just fine. Indiana Jones and Battle for Naboo I can understand. Rogue Squadron is complicated...it depends on the emulator you use. Nemu64 supports the game just fine because of its unique gfx plugin. It may have some issues, but it's still playable in Nemu64. However, you get no sound, because Nemu64 has no RSP emulation. In 1964, there is. The sound is perfectly fixed in 1964 after using Jabo's Interpreter RSP setting, but the gfx suck, even if you copy GS_DLL.dll to 1964.exe's directory to allow 1964 to use Nemu64's gfx plugin. As for Project64...it would work perfectly if you could use Nemu64's gfx plugin with it. Unlike all other emulators, it fails to load it for some reason....

Mupen64 would be the perfect emulator for Star Wars Rogue Squadron if it did not force 8 MB expansion pak memory setting. I'll bet hacktarux (that how you spell it?)'s next version of the emulator will be the only thing to emulate the game very well in both graphics AND sound if he can make an option for changing from 8 MB memory to 4 MB in the next version.

The rest of the ROMs I've never even heard of.

Looks like Bighead did a hella lot of work. He has a very similar collection of plugins and emulators as me, except I also use Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0, as it seems to be the best gfx plugin for Gauntlet Legends. He apparently does not test with that plugin. Other differences are that I don't use Glide3x or GLN64 because my PC can't use those plugins. It sucks having a limited XP account, not being able to update my version of OpenGL. Also, I have Audio WIP 2, but not 1.

Jabo's DirectInput is crap compared to N-Rage's Input. The only plugin made by Jabo that I didn't like was his input plugin. I prefer N64 Virtual Pad or, for more advanced options (such as importing and exporting mempak notes in A64 file format), N-Rage's DirectInput.

BigHead said:
Azimer's HLE v.0.56 WIP 1 will work in 1964, but Azimer's HLE v.0.56 WIP 2 will generate an error. It is also stated for many, that schibo's audio plugin is more compliant with 1964 than Jabo's Direct Sound. If you are playing a game with Jabo's Direct Sound, and sound seems to skip or stutter, try going into its options and checking “Sync game to audio”. But be warned, sometimes checking this will lock up your game. Azimer's HLE v.0.56 WIP plugins also have a similar option that you may also try: “Force Old Audio Sync”.
Wow. I just got done questioning Hactaurux about when he said schibo's was better than Jabo's by asking him if he checked the Sync Game to Audio option. Well, two great minds think alike, I guess.

But there I am again, N64-talking myself to death. I will test Indiana Jones and see if I can get it to work. If not, I'll add it to my list (and the first post in this thread).

Clements

Iconoclast said:
Strange. I was able to play Hey You, Pikachu! just fine.

Without voice input, you are unable to progress in the game, so is unplayable.

Iconoclast said:
Rogue Squadron is complicated...it depends on the emulator you use.

Well, Lemmy's plugin can display the menus and some in-game graphics (with almost all textures and polygons missing) when used with Nemu64 but it is not playable by my definition (the ability to complete a level without hassle or cheats, have most graphics show). I doubt that even a veteran of Rogue Squadron could even complete the first level with Nemu64+Lemmy's.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
it depends on also your defination of playable .. can you get in and move your character around .. or is the game actually finishable.

What I think is that depends on the computer configuration as well. That's what I found out with some ROMs that are unplayable on my computer, but they work on some of others (with minor bugs, though).

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Clements said:
Without voice input, you are unable to progress in the game, so is unplayable.

Well, Lemmy's plugin can display the menus and some in-game graphics (with almost all textures and polygons missing) when used with Nemu64 but it is not playable by my definition (the ability to complete a level without hassle or cheats, have most graphics show). I doubt that even a veteran of Rogue Squadron could even complete the first level with Nemu64+Lemmy's.
Then how come I was able to get in the game?

Hey%20You,%20Pikachu!%20(2).gif

I mean, yeah, I did see a voice input error, of course. But it did not stop me from entering the game. Oh, PROGRESS in the game? Ah, that's different. Then, like zilmar said, it depends on how I define 'playable'. Um...well, using logic, I'd have to say a game does not have to be beatable to be considered playable because playable means you can play it, and by the screenshot above, I was basically playing it, though I don't know how the progressing works. I see what you mean.

As for Rogue Squadron, I don't have the game for the actual console or know anything about how to play, really, so you're probably right. However, I saw that when I tried Mupen64, it looked perfect with the Expansion Pak detected screen. Again, since the 8 MB expansion pak option is forced with the emulator, you get stuck on that screen. I think the game would be playable in Mupen64 had it not been for that. Perhaps with his next release, the game will be playable. And with PJ64 1.7, of course, there is also hope.

Games like Taz Express...the only emulator that would work for me on that one is Mupen64, and you didn't add that on the list, so your list looks pretty accurate. Except the confusion about defining playable for hey you pikachu, but...yeah.

Clements

I would consider Hey you Pikachu as 'in-game' status but not playable, same with Rogue Squadron. 'Playable' in the context of emulator compatibility implies that you can make some progress in the game without cheats. If both were listed in compatibility lists (such as Bighead's) as playable that would be very misleading.

Last edited:

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
It's nice to see that me and my list was never forgotten. Just thought I'd randomly pop in and say that. :bouncy:

Edit: Yeah I'll post some other stuff too.. It's been awhile since I logged into emultalk and messed around with emulators. Coincidentally, I logged in and came apon this post where I was mentioned. Since I'm here, I may as well elaborate on the Hey You Pikachu debate. Yes, I listed the game as unplayable because technically it is, without a voice pak you really can't make any progress, thus unplayable. If I ever work up the ambition to update my list again, I'll fix this small detail stating playable but not able to make progress.

As for the concern of testing with Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0.. I did indeed test it for many games, but newer versions of Rice's almost always, if not always (can't remember that far back) ran the majority of games that I tested 'better' than his older versions.

Last edited:
OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Clements said:
I would consider Hey you Pikachu as 'in-game' status but not playable, same with Rogue Squadron. 'Playable' in the context of emulator compatibility implies that you can make some progress in the game without cheats. If both were listed in compatibility lists (such as Bighead's) as playable that would be very misleading.
I see. It would be misleading to say the game is playable and have them think the game is progressible at all. Still, I would say, Playable, but not progressible, to define it. I don't want to get TOO technical and start posting the definition of the word play and stuff like that. I think it's playable, but not worth playing. If you can't make progress, it's hardly even a game.

And I've finished testing Indiana Jones. Looks pretty hopeless. The closest I can ever get to calling it playable is using Rice's Video Plugin, and there still doesn't seem to be a working configuration even with that plugin. What about the GameShark Pro ROM? I assume he never tested that. It seems completely unsupported by all emulators, so that could go on the list. NVM, it couldn't, because GameShark Pro is not a game. You don't 'play' a GameShark...then again, I suppose that's what makes it not playable! But, whatever.

I'll take your word for the rest of the ROMs on that list as well; I don't have time to go through all of them tonight. Too busy.

But that site you linked me to was nice, though, list of games, best plugins and all that for them. Damn, that table is very nice. I also agree that Direct64 is best for Super Mario 64 (of course, you don't get FSAA or Anisotropy, but that isn't talking gfx issues). The site pretty much beats the purpose out of this thread.

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
Iconoclast said:
I see. It would be misleading to say the game is playable and have them think the game is progressible at all. Still, I would say, Playable, but not progressible, to define it. I don't want to get TOO technical and start posting the definition of the word play and stuff like that. I think it's playable, but not worth playing. If you can't make progress, it's hardly even a game.

You missed my post regarding this, go back to page one of this thread.

Iconoclast said:
But that site you linked me to was nice, though, list of games, best plugins and all that for them. Damn, that table is very nice. I also agree that Direct64 is best for Super Mario 64 (of course, you don't get FSAA or Anisotropy, but that isn't talking gfx issues). The site pretty much beats the purpose out of this thread.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Bighead said:
It's nice to see that me and my list was never forgotten. Just thought I'd randomly pop in and say that. :bouncy:

Edit: Yeah I'll post some other stuff too.. It's been awhile since I logged into emultalk and messed around with emulators. Coincidentally, I logged in and came apon this post where I was mentioned. Since I'm here, I may as well elaborate on the Hey You Pikachu debate. Yes, I listed the game as unplayable because technically it is, without a voice pak you really can't make any progress, thus unplayable. If I ever work up the ambition to update my list again, I'll fix this small detail stating playable but not able to make progress.

As for the concern of testing with Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0.. I did indeed test it for many games, but newer versions of Rice's almost always, if not always (can't remember that far back) ran the majority of games that I tested 'better' than his older versions.
I remember confirming that Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0 was better than Rice's Video Plugin for Gauntlet Legends, but I don't have the ROM, anymore. Perhaps, if you ever get the chance to check that....

No point in me trying to define the game as playable, anymore. I should just say that, maybe you could include that the game works, but is no fun unless you like making Pikachu walk around doing nothing. Both not playable and playable seem somewhat misleading, to some, so instead, maybe you could just say it works, but has pretty much no value in it as a game without the voice pak. Or something like that.

Oh, and when you say Banjo-Tooie is unstable...that happened to me. I kept getting lockup issues and stuff, while other users didn't. Finally, I found that certain cheats cause issues in the game. By disabling these cheats, I thereafter noticed no issues with Banjo-Tooie.

I was working on a configuration for Rice's Video Plugin as well for Mario Party, but how is it better than Jabo's Direct3D 8 for the game?

For Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness, I think Rice's Video Plugin is better than Jabo's for the game because I was unable to fix coloration issues with Jabo's Direct3D.

For Pokemon Snap, where it says to enable Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM to fix glitchy pictures, there's a way to fix the pictures without losing so much speed. If you give yourself MINIMAL, but not none, FSAA, the pictures are fixed, but no slowdown. I mean, at least it worked for me. I've got NVidia GeForce FX 5200. This technique also works with other games, like the jigsaw transition in Banjo-Kazooie. Most other situations, though, turning on ANY FSAA will stop the slowdown but make the Copy Framebuffer to RDRAM option not work.

And Mario Kart...Rice's Video Plugin works nicely with this game, as well. In fact, I prefer it over Jabo's, as it fixes the slight glitchiness of the title screen image if you check "Fine Texture Mapping"...or was it uncheck?

Anyway, could you upload your INI configuration file for Rice's Video Plugin? I've been trying to make my own INI configuration file, but I haven't been through all of the ROMs like you have. If it comes with the plugin in your link to it on your site, I still can't get it, because I get a page not found error.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
Well, it's been a heck of a long time since I updated my list, so I'll try to help you with your concerns to the best of my memory. Take note tho, that what I say could be wrong.

Banjo Tooie is unstable, from what I remember, because of the way it saves games. There is now an entire website dedicated to it thanks to 4real, who was very dedicated to this game. His site can be found at: http://www.banjotooiefaq.co.uk/

Mario Party, I think the reason I only put Rice's is because Jabo's plugin wasn't capable of running certain minigames. They were either slow or the graphics were corrupt, which I didn't notice as much with Rice's.

Ms. Pac Man - Sure, Rice's may be better on your system, but your statement is based on your system. My config list is for both sides, ATI and Nvidia. Besides, both Jabo's and Rice's plugin are listed, so use whatever works for you.

Pokemon Snap/Banjo Kazooie issues.. I'll have to look into this.. do realize tho, that not everyone can enable AA and actually play at playable speeds. If it proves to be a good alternative, and I actually decide to update my list anytime soon, then I will add it as an alternative.

Mario Kart - I may have left out Rice's, for what reason I do not know. I believe it was because pictures of the faces get distorted when picking a character, and various other glitches.

Last but not least, it's been many moons since I last updated my list, or since I actually touched emulation in general. Me visiting this site recently to view this post is purely coincidential. I have deleted my emulators, and reinstalled them many times since my last update, so my Rice ini file will probably be little help to you. I have a plugins pack on my site, it may or may not contain a lot of my settings I used when I tested games, but at this point I'm not sure.

Just visit my main site in my sig.. There is much more there than just a list. Best of luck to you, and if I ever decide to update my list again, I will keep your concerns into consideration.

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

OK, I see. Mario Kart does not work BEST with Rice's Video Plugin at first, but if you copy and paste this text in the plugin INI configuration file for Rice's Video Plugin, I think you'll find those gfx issues with the plugin will all be fixed...unless I missed something.

{b655503e52da922e-45}
Name=Mario Kart 64
AccurateTextureMapping=2
NormalAlphaBlender=1
NormalColorCombiner=1

With these settings, it works just as good as Jabo's plugin. Probably better, with the extra point that it fixes the glitchy title screen of the game.

But that's not important. What I REALLY should have told you rather than all of those picky tidbits up there was this. I spent hours trying to find the best configuration for Top Gear Overdrive. I noticed that the best emulator is, indeed, Mupen64. But as for the best plugin...I spent an hour checking and unchecking all the different possible configuration settings for Rice's Video Plugin. I have not tested Glide3x, the gfx plugin you recommend, but your site says there are several gfx issues and car flickering when using Glide3x. However, I found that, when using Rice's Video Plugin and having this entry in your plugin configuration INI file on Mupen64, you only get ONE gfx issue...some series of lines on the right margin of the title screen. Other than that, the game looks perfect. So, if you ever get time, try this configuration, and see if this works much better than Glide3x for the game:

{80cd41d712b9a9ac-45}
Name=Top Gear Overdrive
AccurateTextureMapping=2
NormalColorCombiner=1
UseCIWidthAndRatio=1
AlternativeTxtSizeMethod=1
ForceScreenClear=1

OP
Iconoclast

Iconoclast

Wait, Clements, what about AI Shougi 3? His list says this game is unplayable. On the other hand, I've been going through all the ROMs, trying to configure each one with Rice's Video Plugin to the best of my ability, and then I come across this game. It works just fine for me when I emulate it on 1964 with Rice's Video Plugin, and the INI configuration settings for the game:

{a682c18cb0cad0c2-4a}
Name=AI¼®³·Þ3
NormalAlphaBlender=1
NormalColorCombiner=1
IncTexRectEdge

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Games failing to init because of the game functions not being available is rare now, compared to 2001.
At least almost all well-known games will complete the init process and are playable.

I remember people talking about it being impossible to play Conker's Bad Fur Day back in 2001.

Things have majorly changed.

Last edited: