What's new

An emulator that plays most saturn games well! SSF.07 SMALL REVIEWS OF WORKING GAMES

R0YB0T

This is for people who may browse this board once in a while but haven't caught on to the new SSF version which actually works great. Obviously the board regulars kow all this info, I am just trying to get the word out a bit clearer and just show support in general.

I am so happy about this emulator. My Saturn broke a few years ago and now I get to play my games again. Most near perfectly.

This board (Saturn Shack) should be on fire right now, I don't think there are a lot of people who realize how easy SSF.07 is to use and how well it works for some games. I was used to satourne which can be very confusing, and girigiri which just was not reliable enough for me. So I had given up on Saturn emulation for a while. For me, SSF .07 is stable and plays some of my favorites perfect to near perfect.

Here are the few that I have tested thoroughly. My system specs are on the bottom:

Guardian Heroes - Perfect sound and graphics. Looks great with scanlines on which offsets the high res of your monitor compared to the lowish res of the Saturn. I mount the image on Daemon Tools, I set the country to USA and it works perfectly.
I get a bit of slowdown when there are a full screen of characters shooting spells and all sorts of crazy attacks, but I am pretty sure it would slow down a bit on an actual Saturn also. I have beaten the game multiple times and tried many options and combinations including VS mode with huge insane high level battles. This game just works great.

Radiant Silvergun - This game looks and sounds great in SSF. It slows down a bit at times, which I am pretty sure doesn't happen quite as often as on an actual Saturn. It is 100% playable from start to finish, even if you are a hardcore RS fan or casual shooter fan. It runs and looks great.

Silhoutte Mirage - Yeah I love treasure game. This game runs great again. Except one problem, the sound effects don't work for me during the game. During practice they do for a very short while, but then all I can hear is the music. The music does play fine though with no problems. Graphically it is fine so far. And I get little to no slow down.

Dragon Force - Hell yeah baby! This game plays identical to the Saturn version for me. Right down to its flaws such as a slightly sluggish menu interface. So far it seems that all of the graphics and sounds are intact and running near perfectly. Slight, barely noticable sound issues that seem to be random. And the loading screen which is a black screen that says "Loading..." is a bit corrupt. The letters in "Loading..." are psychodelic colored. Other than that small small issue, and the random once in a blue sound issues, it works Perfect! Battles, Map, Diplomacy. Everything works and looks right. No slow down for me either.

Nights: Into Dreams - Awesome. Almost perfect. Everything looks and sounds right. It just suffers from a bit of slowdown. it is 100% playable though, and looks great. It doesn't run as fast as the Saturn version for me (the framerate is not as stable) but it plays fine and doesn't slow down to the point where it is frustrating.

Shining Force III Scenario 1
- It runs decently. Thank god for autoskip (frameskip). It would be unplayable without it, on my system. I haven't played too far but so far the only problems are some framerate issues when walking around, and a huge framerate drop and the collor/effect is off when Masqurin casts Blaze 1. All other level 1 attacks seen during the 1st battle play out smoothly. So far this game is playable.

Games I cannot get to work:
This could be due to corrupt images/copies of the game.

Princess Crown - I am very upset about this not working. But The six playable games I have offsets this just fine! I cannot get this game to work. I tried all of the region settings. And it won't even give me the sega logo.

Saturn Bomberman Crashes at the Sega logo. But I can use the Saturn CD player to listen to the cool soundtrack. I love this damn soundtrack.

Mr. Bones - Stops working at the Title screen.

Remember the games that don't work for me, might work for other people. The images could be corrupt.

My System Specs: OS WIndows XP Professional USA
Pentium 4 2.8c, 1GB PC3200 CorsairXMS Dual channel Ram, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, 120GB Western Digital IDE HD 7200 RPM with 8 megs Cache

Again this may be old news to some, but it sure is new to me. I'd like to see this board much become much more active, and let more people know that the status of Saturn emulation is alive and screaming.

:party: It's party time baby! :party:

Last edited:

Example

I've just gotten SSF to run on my comp., however, the playable games seriously lag. Most of these just hang after the title screen.

I have XP Pro P4, 2.4Ghz, 512 RAM, Radeon 7000 Series.

Games that actually play for me:
Groove on Fight (little lag, but fighters aren't visible in play)
Sonic R (lag)
Virtua Fighter 2 (major lag)

These at least have the title screen appear but don't play:
Dark Savior (attempts to begin game, music can be heard but screen black)
Shinobi Legions (title only)
Sonic 3D Blast (title only)
Virtua Fighter (progresses to "Fight!" screen then stops)
Virtua Fighter Remix (progresses to "Fight!" screen then stops)

Any input is appreciated on getting this mother to run normally. Is my comp. not powerful enough, or is there some trick to get the speed/compatibility going? I've solved the BIOS/Country issue, but maybe I'm missing something....

A.

Last edited:

spotpal

Example as far as i know the minimum cpu requirements to have ssf running at a decent speed is a pentium 4 3ghz or an amd athlon 3000+.

Ive just tested ssf with nights on my pentium 2.4 ghz machine which runs pretty choppy and slow even with frameskip on.:(

On my moms amd 64 3500+ it runs full speed. some games like clockwork knight runs a tad to fast.:drool:

I got a couple of extra frames by disabling my sound device and ending the task explorer.exe. I then launched ssf.exe from the task manager.