What's new

Alsa, current source code?

edfardos

I'm stoked you guys are still working on mupen64. Just two thoughts.

1) Alsa. OSS is really dead now and alsa's emulation of oss is increasingly worse (more stuttering with newer linux kernels). I couldn't get the one alsa plugin i found to compile for mupen64 on kubuntu feisty.

2) Is there a mupen64 anonymous cvs anywhere, such that we could get the latest (either great or broken) source code and compile your ideas for ourselves?

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

best,
-edfardos

Surkow

I read a couple of articles about this issue and I think ALSA isn't the solution either. Currently 4 Front Technologies has released their commercial build of OSS (v4.0) under the GPL. The reason for creating an OSS replacement in the first place was because of license problems. With the latest version of OSS being released under the GPL there is no reason to switch to the confusing ALSA sound API.

OP
E

edfardos

Yes, I'd like to see OSS live again, but perhaps I could rephrase my suggestion to be "can we support the pervasive sound api found on the majority of linux distributions."

If alsa's oss emulation was better it would be a non-issue imho....

r,
edfardos

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
No improvement has been made on sound plugin and i don't think i can do much as both oss and sdl plugins work perfectly on my system.

SDL plugin should be considered as the true solution as SDL supports both oss and alsa.

Surkow

No improvement has been made on sound plugin and i don't think i can do much as both oss and sdl plugins work perfectly on my system.

SDL plugin should be considered as the true solution as SDL supports both oss and alsa.

So the SDL sound plugin works like some kind of wrapper around the different sound architectures?

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
SDL itself does, So you can wrap any SDL program around many backends (An SDL game that runs on X11 can also run on DirectFB if you have it built with that capability) Tell SDL that it should use ALSA, IE, In the mupen directory before running Mupen once on any terminal:

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa"

then run mupen:

./mupen64

Remember, the SDL program here is the SDL sound plugin. Mupen64 itself has nothing to do with SDL, and neither does the ALSA plugin.

Last edited: