What's new

AHHHH!! controller help. 1 problem ruining everything.

phatskillz

Ok, I'm playing zelda: majoras mask. I'm using a logitech controller and it looks just like a Playstation controller. Its a blueish gray color. Anyway, I have good controls with the c buttons mapped to the right stick. The controls work fine and I am able to walk and run so the pressure sensitvity seems fine. Heres the severe problem; playing songs with the ocarina. Its impossible because if I try to push the stick for a c button it will never press the right one. I also noticed this problem when configuring the controller that the right stick acts on its own. its too sensitive. What can I do? please help? I tried messing with the dead zone with no success. help.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Your controller wouldn't happen to be the Logitech Dual Action, would it?

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
I use the same C-Stick-ish config for most games, and I don't have too many problems using NRage v2.0. I was using the default PJ64 plugin until a few days ago. Either way, the problems I was having with my "C-Stick" I don't attribute to the plugin.

Try re-calibrating your controller. You might also consider looking your controller up online and seeing if there are any updated drivers for it.

Agozer

I have the same controller, and I have never experienced problems like the ones you're having. I also keep the C-buttons mapped to the right analog stick with very little problems in using the C-buttons that way. I have never calibrated this controller either.

Use the N-Rage input plugin. That's what I use since it's more feature-filled that Jabo's DirectInput. I don't know if that alleviates the problems you have, but like I said, I've never had a problem with it.

OP
P

phatskillz

i got the most recent driver with no luck. Its basically like the sticks are always being pressed ever so slightly. I don't understand why adjust the dead zone does nothing. I can't use the nrage input plugin because it won't recognize my controller for some reason. Anyone else have any ideas? thanks for your help so far.

Agozer

Did you actually select the gamepad as the active device in Options --> Configure Controller Plugin --> Devices tab?

Is the gamepad properly detected by Windows?

OP
P

phatskillz

yes, i believe so. Ok, when I'm looking at the controller properties and it shows the controller and lights up ther buttons when I press them. Well, there are two boxes, one showing the left stick, one showing the right. When I move the sticks around it shows the little crosshair moving in the boxes. The problem is, when I'm, not even touching the controller, the crosshairs are not in the center. they are somewhere on the side and they move around with the slightest of joystick movements.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
What you're describing is almost definitely a calibration error. You should recalibrate your controller and follow the instructions from the screen.

You probably didn't have the right analog stick centered when you plugged the controller in.

OP
P

phatskillz

What you're describing is almost definitely a calibration error. You should recalibrate your controller and follow the instructions from the screen.

You probably didn't have the right analog stick centered when you plugged the controller in.

well, I'll give it a try but its also the left stick. its just that the left stick problem doesn't affect the gameplay for whatever reason.

OP
P

phatskillz

ah, no luck with the reinstall. i will not give up. I noticed one thing though that might help you guys help me. I had the same problem with my 360 controller(although I'm not sure I had the most updated driver) so maybe that means theres a different problem. I'm determined to fix this but if you guys don't feel like helping anymore, I'll understand. I'm annoying.

OP
P

phatskillz

OK, I figured it out just to let everyone know. I plugged in my 360 controller and found a way to actually reset the controller so that the sticks would be centered. I know it sounds simple but for someone like me, its a huge ****in accomplishment.

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
Recalibrate and reinstall are two entirely different things, dude. Reinstalling a driver might fix your problem (though it didn't, in this case), recalibration is the next thing you did (you reset the sticks to be centered).

nonlinear

hey

i know this is an old thread, but i've been having this same problem with a dual action controller and it was a MAJOR problem until i found a great solution this morning.

what i did is get gamepad profiler (i use pinnacle, but any good profiler should work) and in the profiler map the right analog to the default keyboard keys used for the c buttons. set the dead zone super high, like 85%, and this will prevent sending the wrong command, resulting in the wrong c button. leave all of the other buttons unnasigned (although i also assign the gamepad select button to F5 for quick saves). then, in your controller plugin, leave the defaults for the c buttons, and map the rest of the game pad there.

this works awesome, you just need to remember to run the profiler when playing the game.

hope this helps.