What's new

About Soul Calibur.....

Louminater

In the compatibility list it says this about Soul Calibur:

"Soul Calibur: Works almost perfectly, vs screen is a little glitchy, but other than that it works perfectly, full speed too"

Well, the best I can get is like 30 FPS, but it usually drags down to about 20 FPS during the battles (in arcade mode), I tried running Capcom Hack to see if it helped, but not much. I tried VGA and NTSC just to see if one would work better then the other, but there was no difference, and no difference in turning on ZWrite and Alpha test ZWrite.

I have a:

Athlon 3200+ XP
200gb HD
1024 RAM
ATI 9800 pro

So what could be the problem? Or does the game run around that FPS for everyone else too?

Also, for Ikaruga, does anyone else not see the invisible bullets in level two, or do I just have some shitty luck?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

headkaze

I find overclocking the DC CPU to about 108% gets it up to a nice speed. Try pression the '+' key on the keypad 8 times during the game and see if that improves things.

Albel

make sure that there are no programs running in the backround. also remember to but the priority "above normal" (gives a good boost ;) 115% works for me = 75 FPS

+1 post XD

Natreg

that´s strange, I have an AMD 2400 with 256 ram and a Geforce FX5200 and it runs at full speed in the menus, and around 30 and 45 FPS during battles. some stages run at 30 fps and others (like seong mina or Yoshimitsu's) run at 45 without problem. I even have other programs running in the background (Emule, firefox and messenger mostly).

with your computer the game should run at max speed.

One thing I have noticed, the game runs slow from the CD-rom, it works better as an iso

flowrent

Speaking of Soul Calibur ,anyone has the intro movie or knows where to find it? Also other in-game movies with characters...

ScOr_311

The Force be with you!!!
Louminater said:
In the compatibility list it says this about Soul Calibur:

"Soul Calibur: Works almost perfectly, vs screen is a little glitchy, but other than that it works perfectly, full speed too"

Well, the best I can get is like 30 FPS, but it usually drags down to about 20 FPS during the battles (in arcade mode), I tried running Capcom Hack to see if it helped, but not much. I tried VGA and NTSC just to see if one would work better then the other, but there was no difference, and no difference in turning on ZWrite and Alpha test ZWrite.

I have a:

Athlon 3200+ XP
200gb HD
1024 RAM
ATI 9800 pro

So what could be the problem? Or does the game run around that FPS for everyone else too?

:cheers:

If you using deamon tool, try alcohol 120 for good speed.

END-TIME-X

Alpha & Omega
Does alcohol 120% make an actual speed difference? I didn't think it would really matter. I'm gonna have to try it.

flowrent said:
Speaking of Soul Calibur ,anyone has the intro movie or knows where to find it? Also other in-game movies with characters...

you could try using Fraps to record the movies yourself. It's a game utility mostly used for taking screenshots and recording videos for Pc games. there shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't work for ChanKast though. Just make sure you doing it with ChanKast in fullscreen.

http://www.fraps.com/

Clements

No, it makes no difference. The drive emulator that comes with Alcohol 120% is based on the Daemon Tools.

flowrent

you could try using Fraps to record the movies yourself

Well,the problem is i dont het enough fps .
I have a 1.4 Ghz processor and the minimum recommended is 2 Ghz as i know.
Too bad Soul Calibur wasn't released on PSX too.
We wouldn't be having this conversation now.

flowrent

What version is best for Soul Calibur?
0.2 ,0.2a or 0.25 ?
Some guy told me to play on 0.2(faster but with more errors he said) and the cpu at 114%.
Also have you guys tried Chankast Utilities ?It integrates an option called Speed Pig ,which adds some speed they say(the authors claim they even got 100 fps with it)

flowrent

Ok ,let's forget Speedpig cause it's useless.
Can you rip movies and video from the disc image itself ?
I have a .nrg image of Soul Calibur how do i extract stuff from there ?

MasterFidget

Man I am just dying getting Soul Cal to run smoothly. I've managed to get it close to normal speed and ok frame rates, but still not what it should be.

I close all my programs and turn on above normal priority and fiddle around with everything to see if it has any impact.

Is the slow motion problem seperate from the frame rate problem? I can underclock like crazy to boost my fps, but the game slows down even more. Slightly overclocking increases the speed, but it doesn't take long to begin reversing the affect.

As mentioned in another thread I have a P4 1.99Ghz, 768mb of RAM, GeForce 420MX. Roughly what can I be expecting from the game?

I'm struggling to fix it because of the sheer number of variables I can't nail down what exactly I can do to impact performance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Soul Calibur does slow down when you perform certain moves. AFAIK, there no way around that.

MasterFidget

It's not just certain moves, it's most of the time. I am just going to give up though. I poured over every thread on slow motion complaints in games and comments about Soul Cal and it seems to me that its just something I'm going to have to live with for this version of Chankast.

Clements

High-end AMD processors (2.0GHz+) should grind though Soul Calibur very quickly, achieving over 60fps in most of the arenas. Most Pentium 4's will stuggle with it, particularly old ones below 3GHz. For me it is fullspeed for the majority of the time, and my cousin was able to unlock almost all of the characters in one sitting with it.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Clements said:
High-end AMD processors (2.0GHz+) should grind though Soul Calibur very quickly, achieving over 60fps in most of the arenas.
This is true. I get fairly smooth fps values overall, with slight hickups now and then.

MasterFidget

So I guess I'll wait till the next release and hope it is optimized or buy a new CPU. Doesn't seem like there is anything else I can do.

Thanks guys.

Kar1son

I noticed a problem with 2nd player control:
L Trig and R Trig not working properly!
For example: 1st player's RTrig is throw, 2nd player's - block

eskimo

i cant get the character select screen to work. i can pick a char, but the screen is black. could someone possibly tell me how to fix it, or take a screen shot of the screen so i know where to move the cursor

flowrent

How do you use saves for Soul Calibur ?
I got some .vmi files from gamefaqs...what do i do with them ?

Last edited: