What's new

About chankast and SSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waan2k

Emutalk Lover :)
cool well that will answer a few peoples questions thx garrofi :)

also not sure if you read my post the other day I had a question for you ;)

question was how's Inplementing the MMU into Chankast going?

cheers

japangurl

Which part did you not understand?
Chankast requires SSE to even work...Without SSE you have no Chankast, period.

MMX is for interger math --which is abesoutly useless for the Floating point math which Chankast needs.

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
japangurl, UR THE ONE WHO DIDNT UNDERSTAND. The MMU is a certain part of the DC, and it is needed to be emulated for certain games like Virtua Cop 2 to work. So please, read before you post ;) He said MMU, not MMX.

Pimp

Banned
posty_2k3 said:
japangurl, UR THE ONE WHO DIDNT UNDERSTAND. The MMU is a certain part of the DC, and it is needed to be emulated for certain games like Virtua Cop 2 to work. So please, read before you post ;) He said MMU, not MMX.

japangurl is japanese give him a break, he's an expert on emulation :whistling

Elly

Waan2k said:
cool well that will answer a few peoples questions thx garrofi :)

also not sure if you read my post the other day I had a question for you ;)

question was how's Inplementing the MMU into Chankast going?

cheers

as far as I know, chanka isnt going to emulate all MMU instructions,..only part of them

Yours,
-Elly

Heinster

garrofi said:
Hi all,

Chankast will NEVER work without SSE. We need that to achieve good performance.

Garrofi

Strange, just read on another board someone is playing Chankast on a 2,4 celeron :smurf: Or do the celerons nowadays have SSE?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Heinster said:
Strange, just read on another board someone is playing Chankast on a 2,4 celeron :smurf: Or do the celerons nowadays have SSE?

Nowadays? All Celerons P3 based and up have had SSE.. for example my Celeron Tualatin, based on the P3 Tualatin (which is no doubt the best Celeron there is... :p)

tygra

celeron is a slow cpu because it has low cache compare to the pentium.
pentium 4 supports SSE/SSE2/MMX/FPU

mezkal

Man on a mission
tygra said:
celeron is a slow cpu because it has low cache compare to the pentium.
pentium 4 supports SSE/SSE2/MMX/FPU

Celeron is slow these days mainly due to lack of HyperThreading. Sure the limited L1/L2 Caches are going to slow the effectiveness of Branch Prediction but not by much.

Cheers,

Mezkal

[vEX]

niechift.com
Someone should make this thread sticky, might stop new posts with requests for a non-SEE version.

mezkal

Man on a mission
milen said:
If Chnakast is optimized more , version without SSE maybe good idea.

SSE allows Chankast to run multiple floating point calculations (as is necessary when emulating a system like this) within one CPU clock cycle. Seeing as Chankast RELIES on this for speed and timing between emulated devices I think it's almost impossible to see a Chankast coming out without SSE unless the devs seek to implement a whole host of lookup tables (ie take the reliance off floating point realtime calculation). That will, in turn, slow the emulator and certainly make it less accurate (only a finite number of "pre-cooked" values in any given lookup table vs. realtime calculated floating point variance).

Cheers,

Mezkal

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
It is really not up to discussion. Garrofi has already stated that there will NEVER be a release of Chankast without SSE support. Closing thread and will make it sticky. All threads requesting a SSE free Chankast will be closed and referered to this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.