What's new

A theological question...

A.I.

Banned
I have an interesting theological question. If paranormal powers such as ESP, telekenesis, etc., exist, are they powers of the mind/brain or are they're from somewhere deeper which proves we each have a soul? I'm not talking religion just purely analysing this as a scientist without a degree. I just find it hard to believe the power of thought can physically alter reality. At the same time I have a hard time believing we have a soul. All our memories, which basically makes us 'me' are stored in the brain like data in a hard drive. And unlike data from a corrupt hard drive, retrieving this information is nigh impossible if your brain is dead. That's why I find it so hard to believe in ghosts. Do they somehow access their memories from a heavenly router in the sky via wi-fi or is it cable? And is that why psychics can only talk to spirits because they have really good broadband?
Does this mysterious energy come from genetic mutant brain cells or from a universal power source like the force?
And where can I get it? I lost the remote...

revl8er

That Damn Good
Well there's a lot of things we really can't explain. Such as me seeing some crazy stuff that makes me believe ghosts exist. An example is a radio's tape player opening up while I'm sitting on a couch and the top floating across the room. And of course I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, but other people in the room saw it as well.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I'd like to hear a good explanation for a cast iron pot flying across a room, lol. One that is too heavy to throw across a room for a normal person.

Bopper

But if say we do become ghosts and all that, then is our ghostly soul associated with any part of our body? like our brain? our heart?

Say if we get our appendix out, does our appendix have its own ghost floating around? Does our ghost not have an appendix. if that doesnt matter, then our ghost form is obviously not one of a humanoid shape and its more like a big blob. in which case, how does it have a brain if its a blob! so it must hae a different way of storing our memories. in which case, it'd be like translating different languages, it wouldnt be the same. so the ghost version of ourselves is probably a bit weird. which would explain why ghoststend to throw kettles and tapes and pictures across the room, instead of doing anything useful!

Last edited:
OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
But if say we do become ghosts and all that, then is our ghostly soul associated with any part of our body? like our brain? our heart?

Say if we get our appendix out, does our appendix have its own ghost floating around? Does our ghost not have an appendix. if that doesnt matter, then our ghost form is obviously not one of a humanoid shape and its more like a big blob. in which case, how does it have a brain if its a blob! so it must hae a different way of storing our memories. in which case, it'd be like translating different languages, it wouldnt be the same. so the ghost version of ourselves is probably a bit weird. which would explain why ghoststend to throw kettles and tapes and pictures across the room, instead of doing anything useful!

You have an interesting theory, Bopper. And I think i know the material ghosts store their memories on: ectoplasm. Dont laugh, im not talking Slimer from ghostbusters. Its quite possible. There was a reported case, first time ever in the world, when a human had actual physical contact with a ghost and it happened here in melbourne. Cant remember the details exactly but this dj (respectable member of community) actually touched a floating blob of weird matter. He said his hand was all sticky from strange material - and no, it wasnt cum.

Bopper

You have an interesting theory, Bopper. And I think i know the material ghosts store their memories on: ectoplasm. Dont laugh, im not talking Slimer from ghostbusters. Its quite possible. There was a reported case, first time ever in the world, when a human had actual physical contact with a ghost and it happened here in melbourne. Cant remember the details exactly but this dj (respectable member of community) actually touched a floating blob of weird matter. He said his hand was all sticky from strange material - and no, it wasnt cum.

lol its funny you mention "cum" and "melbourne". Wasnt Paris Hilton in Melbourne on new years? She was over to guest DJ at a club in Sydney, but flew into Melbourne. I reckon this DJ probably met up with her and touched a blob of her floating left over jizz from some bloke on the plane over. That makes more sense than floating memory blobs. ;)

DIYROMArcade

Video Game Addict
You said “A theological question... “ and yet actually posed like 5 or 6 questions.

In any event a “soul” doesn’t necessarily need to be a religious soul or ghost. What if a soul is just a life force or the bodies energy. Everything in the world is surrounded by electro magnetic energy. The poles or the earth, and the human body itself. (Bio-electricity). According to science energy cannot be created or destroyed so in essence this energy would move on once you had died. Would it contain your memories? Who knows…

One theory I have heard is that your “soul” retains all memories of your life and any past lives but the shock of being born forces you to forget these memories. Although this may be why people have memories of places they have never been, or things they have never done.

Anyway just my two cents…

Miretank

Lurking
random mode=on

booper said "soul", "mind" and "heart". i would consider soul and heart the same thing.

as for the unexplainable things, most of them could be explained if you consider ENERGY and its manifestations. telekinesis and other weird shit could fit into some explanation related to mental energy. cmon, the brain works with electrical pulses, it would not be so impossible to materialize them.