What's new

a sse & cpu problem!

lil' Hobo

Q: Every time I try to run Chankast it shows a "your CPU doesn't support SSE" error. What's wrong?
A: Make sure that your CPU supports SSE (older CPUs do not). If you are sure that your CPU supports SSE but you still get the same error then you have to enable it from the BIOS configuration of your mainboard.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Some older mainborards need a BIOS update in order to let you enable SSE while some others do not support SSE at all.
Do not use programs that "enable" SSE. They will probably crash the emulator.

I like to save people reading :p

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
kai445 said:
Download CPU-Z and run it, and check to make sure "SSE" comes up as one of the processor's supported features.
Since Chankast does not detect SSE instructions neither CPU-Z will.
shijunbao123 have just to do what Trotterwatch and lil' Hobo told him.
kai445 said:
For future reference, these forums are not very helpful at all.
This must be a joke right? If not, you must check your eyes in order to see that these forums are very helpfull.

Last edited:

kai445

lil'hobo just cut and pasted from the FAQ and added nothing of value to the poster's question.

CPU-Z would confirm that SSE, is indeed, supported.... or not. So I dont see how that isnt helpful...

Here's a utility. It forcibly sets SSE to an "on" state, if your BIOS was never updated (some motherboard manufacturers are real horrible when it comes to support after a few months).

http://www.myplc.com/sony/bin/a4sse.zip

The FAQ advises against using utilities to enable SSE, but you cant even start chankast, so I don't see how it could hurt.

Trotterwatch

That's as maybe - but to write the entire forums off as not being very helpful, is IMO wrong to say. Perhaps we just get a little jaded from time to time with people asking the same questions constantly.

Next time I'll just post a link to the 'search' option if you'd find that more helpful...

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
kai445 said:
CPU-Z would confirm that SSE, is indeed, supported.... or not. So I dont see how that isnt helpful...
Since the emulator do not detect SSE neither CPU-Z or any other program will.
In that case, any program similar to CPU-Z would be worthless.
kai445 said:
The FAQ advises against using utilities to enable SSE, but you cant even start chankast, so I don't see how it could hurt.
It could hurt because it could lead to other problems (the emulator would crash because of this "utility").
Then instead of updating the BIOS of their mainboard and enabling (if necesary) SSE instructions from there, people would come here complaining about the emulator that crashes or restarts their computer even though they have SSE enabled (in that case, SSE instructions will NOT be really enabled of course).

Last edited:

lil' Hobo

@Psy: But Chankast dosent say that SSE is turned off now does it. A program that turns it on without having to run your bios, probably because he dosent know how otherwise this thread would be dead.

@Kaji: I may of cut and paste, I said I did hence the saving people reading part and the fact that Q and A are in the post, and that Its the second or third question on the FAQ. But me not adding anything to it? Well thats plain retarded saying that. How much you want to bet very few people read the links people put up.

And I dont know why people are bitching, Trotter helped out instead of saying "Search you idiot".

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
lil' Hobo said:
@Psy: But Chankast dosent say that SSE is turned off now does it.
Chankast shows an SSE error. CPU-Z shows that SSE is not present. Either way, everyone can understand that this is because SSE is not enabled (or supported by the CPU).
A BIOS update is needed when SSE is not automaticaly enabled by the mainboard and there is not an option to enable it either.
The programs that "enable" SSE may work when the option to enable SSE is already present in the BIOS of the mainboard but not activated, or when SSE is disabled from the operating system.
This whole thing is quite confusing so it would be a bad move to add it in the FAQ. So I added a more simple and working procedure.

kai445

All the utility does is forcibly set the CPUID bit 25 to "1", thereby forcing SSE "on". That's all the application does. Nothing more. The odds of it crashing his machine are arguably slim, seeing how his processor (an Athlon XP) has support for SSE.

The BIOS does not nessicarily need SSE support (but the processor itself needs SSE support), all it needs to do is support the CPUID address space, if I'm reading the AMD tech docs correctly.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
kai445 said:
All the utility does is forcibly set the CPUID bit 25 to "1", thereby forcing SSE "on". That's all the application does. Nothing more. The odds of it crashing his machine are arguably slim, seeing how his processor (an Athlon XP) has support for SSE.

The BIOS does not nessicarily need SSE support (but the processor itself needs SSE support), all it needs to do is support the CPUID address space, if I'm reading the AMD tech docs correctly.
It's not only a matter of the CPU. If the mainboard "thinks" that the CPU does not have SSE support there is nothing you can do to enable it (that's why you may have to update the BIOS of the mainboard). In that case, every attempt to force SSE instructions may lead to several problems.
This conversation leads nowhere and has nothing to do with the question of the user who created the thread. If you still believe that you're right I won't try to change your mind.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Kai is right. The bios doesn't "think" the CPU doesn't have SSE, it enables bit 25 to "1" if it's present (which apperently some older BIOSes didn't do).