What's new

A new idea to add in the next version

This emulator is my favourite but sometimes it runs slow (with games like smash bros), and I still remember something of the SNES-age. The emulator Zsnes has got a function which the speed increases (execute 50-100 %). If the emulator runs at half the frame-rate it's still good (30 fps isn't bad, is it?). Maybe an idea or is it possible already?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Called frameskip. And no, authors say it isn't possible with frameskip in n64. Don't know really why, though, but it's enough to know.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Actually it is possible but dunno if the results will be what you expect... An automatic frameskip would be impossible IMO coz it would end in no frame displayed at all... Then there's a fixed frame skip set by the user, but don't forget that no games are running at 60 fps on the n64 it's more something between 20 and 30 fps so if u divide it by 2 it'll be very low fps... and i don't know if it'll help the emu running faster but can't be sure without testing.

schibo

Emulator Developer
You might want to ask in the TR64 forum about icepir8's plugin with frameskip. I don't know if he still supports it though.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Hacktarux said:
don't forget that no games are running at 60 fps on the n64

Wrong! F-Zero X runs at a completely flawless 60fps; in fact it's probably the most stable 60fps I've ever seen.

LD.

*poke*
Dude... no... I think Hacktarux knows what he's talking about.

What you (Tagrineth) mean is 60 VI/s.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Nope tagrineth is right, there is a few games that run at 60 fps, but they are very rare and i was talking in general...

Flash

Technomage
F-ZeroX also probably fastest emulated game - it goes really krazzzzy (5-7 times faster) (w/ sound), than real n64 when framelimit (sync) is off even on my crappy machine
(and more - i've tried it on K6-2-266/Voodoo2 - some sound skipping but still very faaast !!! )

Maybe a little offtopic but why N64 (real or emulator) slower in 2D ? There's no monstrous framebuffer effects like in PSX (FF8, Chrono Cross) but it's still slower than 3D gfx...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
FrameSkip on 3d things would be absolutely terrible, it wouldn't help at all, because the video plugin would still have to process everything, whether or not it misses a frame out, and it would produce terrible results.

Plus this has nothing to do with 1964, its the video plugin that would have to do this, 1964 emulates the CPU and sends the rest to be processed to the audio/video/input plugins.

Also Its not worth trying to code, just get a better CPU and video card and you'll really notice the difference.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
LD. said:
Dude... no... I think Hacktarux knows what he's talking about.

What you (Tagrineth) mean is 60 VI/s.

60 fields per second, or 60 half-frames (interlaced) per second.

Either way, it's still 60fps no matter what you want to think.

Progressive scan is not required for 60fps.

The Jaguar/Saturn/3DO/PSX/N64 generation did not have many 60fps games, but there were some.

Actually AFAICS the Jaguar has the highest percentage of 60fps games among all five of those consoles...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Sayargh said:
FrameSkip on 3d things would be absolutely terrible, it wouldn't help at all, because the video plugin would still have to process everything, whether or not it misses a frame out, and it would produce terrible results.

Plus this has nothing to do with 1964, its the video plugin that would have to do this, 1964 emulates the CPU and sends the rest to be processed to the audio/video/input plugins.

Also Its not worth trying to code, just get a better CPU and video card and you'll really notice the difference.
Not quite. The core sends the dlists to the plugin. So by skipping one, sending one, skipping one, and so on, frameskip would actually be attained and the plugin didn't need to process them either.

Although, i don't know if it can be done, so don't blame me if i'm wrong.

OP
mightyrocket

mightyrocket

Banned
Finally, ginaguy18p0r is banned. He's really the most stupid asshole I've ever seen on this board (and maybe the most stupid one I've ever seen!). He's spamming like he hasn't got anything else to do. Check his other posts. They are all spam! He really needs more proffesional help than every other one (Lightknight is smart if you see ginaguy18p0r!). Okay, enough about this, this thread is not used for spam but for my question.