What's new

A high-level core?

Cyberman

Doomulation said:
Why bits? We aren't living in the stone age :p Use bytes.
Your comment is a bit odd :D
Maybe you just bit off more than you can chew?
However your assertion may be misguided. The age old bit is still live and well, and although bytes are nice, bits are used quite heavily still. an example would be network masks (lots of bits there 32 IPV 4 and 64 IPV6) also for example in IPV4 they use byte sizes per word (192.168.0.1) IPV6 uses 16 instead. So 192.169.0.1 is still the same although you could have 327.9841.1120.10001 in IPV6.

Bits and bytes are units of measure. What you are saying is similar to "Heck we don't need no stinking inches or mm we'll use feet and meters instead!"

hehehe

:D

Cyb

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Cyberman said:
Your comment is a bit odd :D
Maybe you just bit off more than you can chew?
However your assertion may be misguided. The age old bit is still live and well, and although bytes are nice, bits are used quite heavily still. an example would be network masks (lots of bits there 32 IPV 4 and 64 IPV6) also for example in IPV4 they use byte sizes per word (192.168.0.1) IPV6 uses 16 instead. So 192.169.0.1 is still the same although you could have 327.9841.1120.10001 in IPV6.

Bits and bytes are units of measure. What you are saying is similar to "Heck we don't need no stinking inches or mm we'll use feet and meters instead!"

hehehe

:D

Cyb
I know full well what I wrote and of course I mention, that if possible, measure is bytes instead of bits. Saying like 16 bits, instead you can say 2 bytes. It's like saying 64 mbits instead of 8 mb, which is annoying is most cases and is used to trick a lot of people out there...

smcd

Doomulation said:
I know full well what I wrote and of course I mention, that if possible, measure is bytes instead of bits. Saying like 16 bits, instead you can say 2 bytes. It's like saying 64 mbits instead of 8 mb, which is annoying is most cases and is used to trick a lot of people out there...

Though most are, not all bytes are 8 bits. :p

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
@Shizzy: You must not have read this :)
Anyway, I'm gonna set the PSP emu project aside for the time being, since the PSP emu scene is actually "alive", plus I have a freind working on a PSP emu himself, so there is really no need for me
Anyway, I am looking at the i386 stuff from the MAME source to get a better understanding of it before beginning my PIII core. And yes, I'm going for the box now since I have a friend working on a PSP emu himself, and the PSP emuscene is "alive" :p but the Xbox emuscene is dead/dying, so this is my chance to bring it back to life :)

Cyberman

blueshogun96 said:
@Shizzy: You must not have read this :)

Anyway, I am looking at the i386 stuff from the MAME source to get a better understanding of it before beginning my PIII core. And yes, I'm going for the box now since I have a friend working on a PSP emu himself, and the PSP emuscene is "alive" :p but the Xbox emuscene is dead/dying, so this is my chance to bring it back to life :)
Interesting notes here. WinCE I believe is used for the 'core OS' on that beast right? This means that the programs can be examined during load up. Perhaps a 'core' wraper for the executable and some careful service call insertions will get you started. Of course the real beast is the GPU core. I don't want to get near that beast, I suspect MS pushed some of the complex 3d processing to the GPU core, since not much is available on it.

Doomulation said:
Doom I was giving you a hard time hehehe!
However this seems more like an issue with people who make things 'bigger' than they are. bits bytes nybbles do not matter too me. Did you know that there has been a deep ISO discussion on 64mb versus 64mB? It's pretty funny. mb they would like to represent bits and mB bytes :D
In any case it's prefered when refering to words one uses the bit reference.
For embeded programing many use this convention for variables.
uint8 <-- unsigned byte
int8 <-- signed byte
uint16 <--16 bit unsigned int
int16 <- 16 bit signed int
etc. This is because they do have bit sized variables in embeded archetectures.

Cyb -- assumption is the mother of all screw ups

OP
blueshogun96

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Cyberman said:
Interesting notes here. WinCE I believe is used for the 'core OS' on that beast right? This means that the programs can be examined during load up. Perhaps a 'core' wraper for the executable and some careful service call insertions will get you started. Of course the real beast is the GPU core. I don't want to get near that beast, I suspect MS pushed some of the complex 3d processing to the GPU core, since not much is available on it.

Actually, the core OS is based off of Win2k, but might have some WinCE stuff in it too. It's possible to use HLE for the kernel functions and isn't too hard. But as you suspect the real issue is the GPU core. It is pretty much like a standard VGA in many ways, so the best thing to do is to find documentation on another GPU like the NV11 (Geforce2) or the NV20 (Geforce3). I have some documentation on the DMA registers and some of the FIFO registers (mainly the 2D ones). There are alot more registers that remain a mystery, but I'm slowly but surely finding more information on it.

huarifaifa

As far I know, usually the size of a WORD is defined by the CPU architecture. It's like "int"s in the C programming language, that is, for 32-bit architectures a WORD is 32-bits, for 16-bits CPUs a WORD is 16-bit wide, etc.

Why Microsoft defined WORD as a 16-bit value in Windows? Probably because it was designed on a 16-bit platform (PC XT/AT with 8086/80286 CPUs).

My $2 cents.