What's new

A great day for the world of medicine and HIV.

Jakob

evil *******
yeah, but this won't be viable for the poorer nations of the world as the vaccine has to be made from the patients own cells, if it remains as such it cannot be mass produced, hopefully they'll solve that hurdle as well.

2fast4u

another problem is most of the industry nations and drug companies still refuse to allow generic (read: cheap) imitations of their brandmarked medicine, which is a huge problem for people in third world countries especially. as long as money appears to be more important this is nice, but wont help as much as it could be.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Well... expensive medication is still better than no medication at all. That's like programming : you program a first version that is slow but works and after you optimize. Here they do something expensive to understand perfectly the virus and then they search how to do it cheaper. And i think it's possible because sadly the market is very huge for the company who can produce cheap medication.

2fast4u

i have doubts if there will be active effort to sell it cheaper - why should they if they can sell it expensive? thats just the way the market works. the medication is protected unter patents afaik so it would be quite hard for other companies to get in the market and create cheaper brands that are affordable.

sadly that being said it just comes down to the following logic: if you are infected, you pay or you die. if you cant pay, you die. i dont think thats a good perspective.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Each time i've heard medication companies talking on tv or any other media, they were saying that the challenge with HIV is more about finding a cheap to produce medication. In this case it's perfectly logic that they're doing some efforts in this direction : if they sell it expensive, they can only sell it to rich countries but if they can produce something that is so cheap that third world can afford it and still doing some benefits on each units sell, they have a very very big market.

Of course it wouldn't be so perfect... i guess it wouldn't be cheap enough for every countries but i'm sure some effort is made in this direction.

I've read somewhere that vaccine isn't develop because it would be very bad in terms of rentability. To make money with HIV, a medication company has two possibilities : long expensive therapy that never stops like what currently exists (this is the die now or pay to die later you're talking about), or selling cheap to produce medication to everybody. But yea the cheap medication is risky and that's why there's maybe not as much effort as there should be.

ulukai

The Ark Phox
third world person present... Here in Brazil we DO have generic drugs, and our researchs of hiv are an exemplo for all the wolrd =) Trully, our medications here for hiv are free