What's new

A few questions

BlackIchor

Hello,

I needed help with a few things. My first question is, how do I manually configure the buttons on my controller? I'm using 1964, and the controller I'm using is a PS2 controller hooked up via a USB adapter. The left analog stick works just fine, and all the buttons seem to work, but the mapping is quite strange...the triangle button was mapped as the B button, the square button as the A button, select as Z, and all the others mixed up. When I go into controller configuration and click on button options to manually set them, it simply closes the 1964 program. Mind you, games are playable in this configuration, it's just not my choice of button layouts.

Also, though I risk sounding like an ignorant newbie and thus incurring flame mail, I had some problems in certain games. While I am not a newbie to emulators (I have MAME32, Magic Engine, FCEUltra, Gens, and others), 1964 is the first N64 emulator that I have managed to actually run games on successfully. However, 1964 seems to be a great deal more complex and technical than other emulators. Given the complexity of the N64 hardware, I guess it's not surprising.

Anyway, I need to get to the point. Certain games such as F-Zero X, Diddy's Kong Racing and Super Mario 64 seem to run just fine, with minimal to no glitchiness/GFX errors. However, in certain games, usually the Rare games like Donkey Kong 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Killer Instinct Gold, I encounter serious sound problems/skipping, and such. Paper Mario is a great game, a classic, but in certain parts, I'm seeing things like rampant flickering of building GFXs/polys, and it's rather maddening. It's still playable though. I checked Olaf's emulation page and it recommended changing certain settings, which I did, and it didn't fix it. Killer Instinct Gold is completely unplayable, due to trailing broken images filling the screen, and other errors.

My big question is: are there some files/patches that I should download especially for those particular games? I have the newest Jabo's D3D plugin, but I figure maybe there's some other patches and things I'm missing. If there is, can someone let me know? Whew!!! Long-ass e-mail, sorry ;).....thank you very much!

Clements

For the sound issues, try using Azimer's LLE 0.50 beta 2 Audio (making sure you turn off 'Send Audio Lists to audio plugin' in the RSP plugin settings) and enable the RSP plugin.

Donkey Kong is messed up due to core issues, but playable with most plugins, but use Jabo's with emulate clear enabled to stop the camera jumping.

Banjo is near perfect with Jabo's, it does slow down when Jiggy's appear etc. but this isn't fixable.

For KI Gold, use Rice's Daedalus with 1964.

For Paper Mario, either use Glide64 + eVoodoo or Rice's Daedalus with the Frame update at '1st CI Change'

OP
B

BlackIchor

Thank you very much for the help. I just need one more thing....the program crashes unless I have an RSP plugin enabled, only problem is...I don't have an RSP plugin. I tried a search engine and no one seems to have it. Once again, sorry about my naivete ;)....I'm not too knowledgeable about the N64 emulators, I've gleaned what I can from FAQ pages, but I'm no programmer. If you can direct me to a page that has the RSP download, it would be much appreciated.

OP
B

BlackIchor

Hey, thanks for the help! I tried everything you said....some of it worked for me and some didn't. The sound problems were remedied by installing the newer audio plugin, and altering that setting in DK64 stopped the camera from going spastic. There are still a few odd little bugs though....such as 1964 crashing upon reloading save files sometimes....not sure why that happens, sometimes it happens, sometimes not. Killer Instinct still won't work properly, it could be I just downloaded a bad rom. Once again, thanks! :)