What's new

A few questions on speed (Project64 and 1964)

nes_6502

What signifies perfect emualtion speed? Is it getting 60 VI or FPS? Are VI and FPS the same?

Here are two examples (Win98SE, 1.47 Ghtz, GeForce ti4200, Soundblaster PCI 128, 512mb RAM)

1964:
Video: Jabo 1.5.1
Sound: Alzimer 0.55.1 Alpha
One program averages around 30 VI. The sound and graphics are perfect however. With Jabo's 1.5 sound plugin the VI goes up to around 60.

Project 64:
Video: Jabo 1.5.1
Sound: Jabo 1.5
If I don't select "sync game to audio", some programs have sound that pops/crackles. If I do select "sync game to audio" the sound is perfect but the program is slightly slower/choppier. This is documented in the help files but will this still happen with a 3.0 Ghtz CPU?

Will a faster CPU solve both of the above problems. Is there a point when the CPU speed is good enough that it is possible to get perfect speed and perfect sound with or without selecting "sync game to audio"? If so, what CPU speed is it?

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
VI and FPS are not the same. For example, Zelda OoT is made to run at 20 actual FPS, while 60VI/s is the actual FPS (NTSC). Erm, hope you understood that. ;)

What CPU are you running? If it's of Intel/AMD, you should have no problems with PJ64. Sync game to audio will make it seem slower, and no, a faster CPU won't remedy that. Either good sound/SLIGHTLY less smooth video, or SLIGHTLY less smooth video and un-crackly sound.

I'll take un-crackly sound. :)

Last edited: