What's new

64-bit CPU?

-Link-

I was just taking a look at the specs needed for the new Dolphin Beta for 64-bit XP.

I was wonder, I noticed the CPU needed is a 64-bit CPU.

My specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 Processor - 2.40GHz
640MB Ram
128MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Is Pentium 4 64-bit?

And if I got Windows XP Professional 64-bit... could my computer support it?

Thanks.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yes, it should, although not all Pentium 4's do, AFAIK.

CPU-Z tells you all you need to know about your CPU, memory, etc. If your processor supports x86-64 instructions, it's 64-bit.

Last edited:
OP
L

-Link-

Alright well I downloaded the program and under instructions it says: MMX, SSE, SSE2.

So I guess not?

Toasty

Sony battery
Yeah, AFAIK the slowest Pentium 4 that they made that supported 64-bit instructions ran at 2.67GHz.

OP
L

-Link-

Ah very lame. I tried running SSBM on the current Dolphin for 32bit and it ran at about 10-15 FPS.

Oh well... anyways thanks a lot guys

Mavtak

I was just taking a look at the specs needed for the new Dolphin Beta for 64-bit XP.

I was wonder, I noticed the CPU needed is a 64-bit CPU.

My specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 Processor - 2.40GHz
640MB Ram
128MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Is Pentium 4 64-bit?

And if I got Windows XP Professional 64-bit... could my computer support it?

Thanks.

Pentium 4's aren't 64-bit. You would have to get a new processor. But if you feel the need to go 64 bit right now, you should in no case choose XP 64. Some may assert that XP is better than Vista, but I don't see how anyone could say that 64-bit XP is better than 64-bit Vista. I used Visa 64-but for a couple of weeks, and the support is actually very good, unlike 64 bit XP. All of my standard devices were recognized, and I only had a few minor problems. But in the end there was no advantage* to going 64-bit, and those minor problems started to annoy me, so I switched back to 32-bit.

*yet

Toasty

Sony battery
Pentium 4's aren't 64-bit.
Some are. Many of the ones based on the Prescott core and all of the ones based on the Cedar Mill core are 64-bit AFAIK. Their inefficient architecture and lack of multiple cores makes them less than ideal for Dolphin, but they can still run the 64-bit version when using a 64-bit OS.