Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Getting 2D elements to look smooth in 3D games

Hi all, does anyone know of a way to make 2D elements look smooth and clean in 3D N64 games when emulated?

Examples are the on screen energy meter on Mario 64 or the c-button selection items and map on Ocarina of time.

My hunch is that because these were originally in low res, a completely new graphic would have to be created in the same style at a higher resolution and substituted somehow into the game. I'm wondering if anyone has already done this and if anyone can point me to a resource where I can learn about this.

Cheers

Texture Pack Invader NES_player4LIFE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Should I tell him???
    -NES
    We are in the process of archiving all qualifying texture packs!
    Contact me via PM to have your N64 texture pack hosted on Emulation64.com!
    Having a hard time loading Large packs? Be sure to patch your emulator.
    Can't load .DAT or .HTC archives? Look no further then this shiny Tutorial, Android users may use this Tutorial.

Spoiler:

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NES_player4LIFE View Post
    Should I tell him???
    Not sure what you mean by this but yes, I would be very grateful if you can help me here. I'm ideally looking to avoid texture packs as I'd like to keep it as authentic as possible.

I've seen that GlideN64 has made some progress in better rendering of 2D objects but I'm still not sure if it can cleanly render, say Mario 64's 2D HUD elements (i.e. The power meter, lives count, Lakitu) smoothly at a much higher resolution

So if I were to set Project 64 at 1280x1024, would these 2D elements look sharp and clean enough to blend perfectly with the polygonal graphics without looking out of place?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Plugins have filters that will solve this for you. Packs may also be used he have some talented artists that remain true to the feel of the game.
    As far as the filters go I prefer to use HQ4x or greater the latest one is 6xBRZ in GlideN64.
    -NES
    Can't load .DAT or .HTC archives? Look no further then this shiny Tutorial, Android users may use this Tutorial.

Spoiler:

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very for that - I'm not keen on pixel up scaling, so are there texture packs that include replacement 2D bitmap elements for some of these games that are created to be as faithful to the original bitmaps as possible. And if so, is there a way of just using these higher res bitmaps without the rest of the textures in order to keep the overall look as authentic as possible?

So basically run Mario 64/Zelda/Banjo etc. In high res, with original textures but with replaced 2D bitmaps that are as faithful to the original as possible?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Something like this?
    Old health bar

New Health bar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLideN64_SUPER_MARIO_64_002.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	39934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GLideN64_SUPER_MARIO_64_004.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	39935  
    Last edited by NES_player4LIFE; November 15th, 2016 at 23:01.
    -NES

Spoiler:

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes! Thanks v. much for doing those screenshots, that does actually look really nice. Can I ask how you did that - are you using HQ4x here?
    Last edited by andykara2003; November 16th, 2016 at 00:40.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    No, that is just upscaled with photozoom pro.
    It is a texture replacement. HQ4x and other filters would change all textures shown.

Would you like a small texture pack for the HUD?
    If so dump the files with GlideN64, upload them in a new thread. Then I can fix them and send them back.
    @CCTEX would you mind helping out?
    -NES

Spoiler:

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's very kind of you - yes I'd very much like a texture pack for the HUD if you're happy to do so

Apologies, being a noob I'm not sure what you mean by dumping the files with GlideN64? Would you mind letting me know & I'll do that & start a new thread, as you say.

Just for context, I'll go a bit more into what I'm aiming to do with this: The N64 is my favourite console but the graphics have aged & I'd like to be able to see them a little cleaner, but as close an possible to how they looked back in the day as I remember them, hence wanting to keep the original textures. I'm a CRT collector (for retro games up to Gen 6) and have a couple of larger 4:3 CRTs that do 640x480 (and 800x600) in progressive scan, which would be perfect for keeping everything as authentic as possible while running at a higher resolution than the original. I have a Raphnet USB adapler so I can use an original N64 controller & will run it all from a laptop.

To me, if I have the resolution too high, the joins and shapes of the N64's polygons become too apparent & the effect looks a bit odd. I'd like to keep the graphics a bit softer to retain the authentic look so I'm outputting to the CRT at 640x480 using Project64 with the anti aliasing setting (and AF) all the way up. This gives a nice soft, smooth look that's not too sharp, but cleaner than the original. The shadow mask of a real CRT adds to the authentic look as well - the only part of the puzzle so far being left out being these low res 2D elements, which now seems to be solved with your upscale method.

I hadn't considered the possibility of using an upscaling program like Photozoom pro and am really happy to learn that this is an option - so much so that I'm thinking I might get this program to upscale the 2D bitmap HUD elements of other N64 games I love - Conker, Banjo etc.

I have no idea of how to incorporate these upscaled elements back into the game using texture packs but I'd like to hang around here a little bit, do some research & build up the knowledge of how to do so - an perhaps provide a resource of them back to the community in the process..
    Last edited by andykara2003; November 16th, 2016 at 02:43.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast