What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

[GUIDE] Extract .dat Glide64 Texture Packs

LANdroid

[TUTORIAL] Extract .dat Texture Packs (Glide64 Texture Packs)

********************DISCLAIMER************************
Please respect the rights of all texture pack designers by not uploading the extracted files in any way or form.
By extracting the textures you are agreeing that you intend to use them for personal use only and have no intention of sharing the textures, or any changes you make to the textures with anyone.
Please show the texture pack creators the respect they deserve for providing you with their hard work.

This process will be used at the users risk and is not supported by Emulation64, it's staff members, administrators, moderators, or texture artists.

TUTORIAL WITHIN THE SPOILER
  Spoiler:

[TUTORIAL] Extract .dat Texture Packs (Glide64 Texture Packs)

This tutorial is for people who want to use .dat texture packs:
- but have an old/slow computer which performs better and is more stable using the Rice Video plugin rather than the Glide64 plugin.
- on an android device using Mupen64Plus AE.

This tutorial will explain how to:
- setup Cygwin with the required packages
- compile glide64-cache-extract (by Sven Eckelmann)
- use glide64-cache-extract to extract .bmp textures from *_HIRESTEXTURES.dat and _MEMORYCACHE.dat
- convert .bmp textures to .png

For a detailed tutorial of how to install Cygwin and compile programs please see:
How to Compile Linux Programs Under Windows with Cygwin (by Gary Sims at maketecheasier)

NOTE: This link has been provided as additional information on how to install Cygwin.
NOTE: A list of packages required for this tutorial is included below.

This tutorial is written specifically for Windows users hence the use of Cygwin.
For the purposes of this tutorial Cygwin should be installed to C:\cygwin\
Cygwin is available from https://www.cygwin.com/

THROUGHOUT THIS TUTORIAL ANY REFERENCE TO [USER] RELATES TO YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME.

NOW ON WITH THE TUTORIAL...

*WINDOWS*
Install Cygwin with the following packages (including all of their dependencies):
gcc-core
git
ImageMagick
make
pkg-config

*CYGWIN*
Run Cygwin

Clone glide64-cache-extract from GitHub using the following command:
git clone https://github.com/ecsv/glide64-cache-extract.git

This will create:
/home/[USER]/glide64-cache-extract

Change directory to glide64-cache-extract by using the following command:
cd glide64-cache-extract

Compile the glide64-cache-extract by using the following command:
make

This will create:
glide64_cache_extract.exe

Copy glide64_cache_extract.exe to /bin by using the following command:
cp glide64_cache_extract.exe /bin/glide64_cache_extract.exe

Change glide64_cache_extract.exe permissions to make it executable by using the following command:
chmod +x /bin/glide64_cache_extract.exe

Change directory back to /home/[USER] by using the following command:
cd ..

Create a new directory called textures by using the following command:
mkdir textures

Change directory to textures by using the following command:
cd textures

*WINDOWS*
Place *_HIRESTEXTURES.dat and *_MEMORYCACHE.dat in C:\cygwin\home\[USER]\textures

EXAMPLE .DAT FILES:
SUPER MARIO 64_HIRESTEXTURES.dat
SUPER MARIO 64_MEMORYCACHE.dat

*CYGWIN*
Follow the steps below:

Extract SUPER MARIO 64_HIRESTEXTURES.dat by using the following command:
zcat "SUPER MARIO 64_HIRESTEXTURES.dat" | glide64_cache_extract -b -p "SUPER MARIO 64" | tar x

Extract SUPER MARIO 64_MEMORYCACHE.dat by using the following command:
zcat "SUPER MARIO 64_MEMORYCACHE.dat" | glide64_cache_extract -b -p "SUPER MARIO 64" | tar x

This will extract the .bmp texture files.

Convert the extracted .bmp texture files to .png by using the following command:
for i in *.bmp; do convert -strip -define png:format=png32 -define png:compression-level=9 "${i}" "${i%.bmp}.png"; done

Remove the .bmp files by using the following command:
rm *.bmp

Create a new directory called SUPER MARIO 64 by using the following command:
mkdir "SUPER MARIO 64"

Move the .png files to SUPER MARIO 64 directory by using the following command:
mv *.png "SUPER MARIO 64"

*ENJOY*
The process is now complete and you can now place the SUPER MARIO 64 directory in to the appropriate emulator directory.

Examples:
Mupen64Plus/M64Py - C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Mupen64Plus\hires_texture\
Project64 1.6 - C:\Program Files\Project64 1.6\Plugin\hires_texture\
Project64 2.0 - C:\Program Files\Project64 2.0\Plugin\GFX\hires_texture\

*THIS GUIDE CAN BE APPLIED TO ANY .DAT TEXTURE PACKS, YOU ONLY NEED TO MODIFY THE COMMANDS PROVIDED*

Finally... special thanks to:
Moshroum
death--droid - for restoring the deleted thread

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader

Please respect the rights of all texture pack designers by not uploading the extracted files in any way or form.
By extracting the textures you are agreeing that you intend to use them for personal use only and have no intention of sharing the textures, or any changes you make to the textures with anyone.
Please show the texture pack creators the respect they deserve for providing you with their hard work.

This process will be used at the users risk and is not supported by Emulation64, it's staff members, administrators, moderators, or texture artists.
Failure to comply will result in an all inclusive pass to the reading room.
Readers have been warned.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Failure to comply will result in an all inclusive pass to the reading room.
I just had an idea. What if you extracted a pack (not any specific pack, just any pack), renamed some files, recreated the cache, and then made a PPF patch out of the difference? Would that work, or would the resulting patch be a full copy of the of the cache? Gotta try that when I have some time, if only to satisfy my technical curiosity :)

Last edited:
OP
L

LANdroid

And I just had an idea. What if you extracted a pack (not any specific pack, just any pack), renamed some files, recreated the cache, and then made a PPF patch out of the difference? Would that work, or would the resulting patch be a full copy of the of the cache? Gotta try that when I have some time, if only to satisfy my technical curiosity :)

Yes this is entirely possible. I have already made a patch using bsdiff/bspatch.
However... as the .dat file is a slightly compressed gzip file the patch file must be created from the file inside of the original .dat file and the file inside of new .dat file and recompressed with gzip.

I may demonstrate this soon...

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
And I just had an idea. What if you extracted a pack (not any specific pack, just any pack), renamed some files, recreated the cache, and then made a PPF patch out of the difference? Would that work, or would the resulting patch be a full copy of the of the cache? Gotta try that when I have some time, if only to satisfy my technical curiosity :)

I'm trying to judge fairly on the extraction of .DATs, please don't push the issue.
I would say as long as the author has no objection.

F

Fanatic 64

Of course I never proposed publishing any such patches for existing packs, especially not Dijipi's.

It was strictly a technical curiosity, not a plan for anything.

ganons

Once you extract dat or htc textures, can they be used in folder formats? i.e. celda 2009 came in folder format. Reason Im asking is because N64oid is probably the best n64 android emu and it uses forder format for hires textures

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Once you extract dat or htc textures, can they be used in folder formats? i.e. celda 2009 came in folder format. Reason Im asking is because N64oid is probably the best n64 android emu and it uses forder format for hires textures
That is the sole reason for extracting these archives.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
You will have to convert the .dat to folder format and then use GlideN64 to create .HTC from the folders.
I'm not sure if a DAT-HTC converter exists yet so you will have to take the long way around the issue.

ganons

You will have to convert the .dat to folder format and then use GlideN64 to create .HTC from the folders.
I'm not sure if a DAT-HTC converter exists yet so you will have to take the long way around the issue.

Is there a tutorial for folder format to .HTC? I've done a search but can't find anything.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
You will need to load the pack in folder format and GlideN64 will do the rest.
Select "Save texture cache to hard disk" and End emulation. It's that simple.
attachment.php

ganons

You will need to load the pack in folder format and GlideN64 will do the rest.
Select "Save texture cache to hard disk" and End emulation. It's that simple.
attachment.php

Thank you, I will try this week. If I install project 64, would it have all the necessary files needed or would I need to download plugins from else where?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I'm not sure if GlideN64 is bundled with pj64 yet, and if it is it may be out of date.
Here is the latest release. (as of 11/29/15)
Place the files from Zilmar folder into GFX and be sure to configure pj64.

ganons

I'm not sure if GlideN64 is bundled with pj64 yet, and if it is it may be out of date.
Here is the latest release. (as of 11/29/15)
Place the files from Zilmar folder into GFX and be sure to configure pj64.

Thanks. I download PJ64 and seems like I got some adware, hopefully no malware. Is that version a fake? Im using 1.6 now, will it work on that?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
No it's not a fake, the installer does contain reported adware/scamware.
I've found that if you use 7zip you can open the archive and copy pj64 from the installer or if you read the the installer options you can bypass the headache altogether.
1.6 will work.

Please continue this discussion elsewhere as this thread is dedicated to DAT extraction.

This discussion is continued Here.

Last edited: