What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Laptop help!

SiC_Ness

I'm trying to run high res textures on my laptop. Here's a couple photos of my problems. I'm running my laptop through my tv via hdmi cable. When PJ64 is open in a small window it runs at 720p and 50 FPS. As soon as I make it full screen it dumbs down drastically. Please keep in mind I'm terribly new at this. Very specific directions would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately because I'm a new user I cannot link the pictures. 😞

OP
S

SiC_Ness

After using the djipi tutorial, I got everything in the right place, and after configuring setting PJ64 crashes. Help please!!

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Update all video display drivers and direct x as needed.
Go into the video plugin and set the full-screen resolution to 1024x728 this should allow for acceptable performance.

After using the djipi tutorial, I got everything in the right place, and after configuring setting PJ64 crashes. Help please!!
Patch your emulator by following the link within my signature.

Last edited:
OP
S

SiC_Ness

Soooo, I may or may not be using a beta version of Windows 7 on my laptop since I had a hard drive malfunction a few years ago. And I really don't think that direct x or video display drivers have ever been updated since uhhhh, 2011? This laptop was mainly a computer for school but has since been turned into my only computer. Am I doomed or what? 😐

EDIT:
I used the patch program and selected pj64 to run off more than 2GB. Same result, PJ64 crashes when running Zelda: OOT

Last edited by a moderator:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
... without explaining so at the time of my last post.

Have you restarted the PC?
Are you using Project64 1.6?
What do you have for a GPU?

Last edited:
OP
S

SiC_Ness

I did just restart. I am running 1.6. And I don't even know how to check what my GPU is. I feel like such a noob >_<

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
How much ram do you have? Patching the emulator will make no diffidence if you are limited by your hardware.

OP
S

SiC_Ness

Well after tweaking some settings and using a different plug in I've got it to run at 1080p and roughly 50FPS on full screen with my tv which is a 60 inch. I wish I could post a screen shot. Unfortunately I can't get the cell shading to run. But this will do.

EDIT:
Thanks for all your help, I know it can be frustrating helping out computer illiterate people. Feel free to close the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
... When PJ64 is open in a small window it runs at 720p and 50 FPS. As soon as I make it full screen it dumbs down drastically...
There is always slowdown while switching to fullscreen. This case, sounds to me like hardware problem with lo-end graphic card.

Energy efficient (like Intel HD), or budget GPU (like nVidia x20 - x30 series), can't handle HD fullscreen well, especially in conjunction with hi-res textures (and shader effects in emulators like PCSX2 or PPSSPP). GPU load and video memory usage goes to top in the blink, and everything gets slow or jumps on screen. If you're curious, grab test software like GPU-Z and check out your graphic card readings.

IMHO, general rule for stress-free emulation - to display enhance (fullHD resolution + hi-res textures + shaders) graphics `out of box` without any noticeable drop of framerate, you need efficient GPU with fast VRAM e.g. GeForce GTX 755M or ATI equivalent for laptops.

OP
S

SiC_Ness

Everything you just said May as well been written in Chinese. I can't understand a word of it. What I gathered from it was that my laptop doesn't have the hardware to run it at top end.

As I said in the last reply, I just started changing settings around to get it to look smooth. And once I get some time I'll post the settings and screen shots.

The only thing I regret is that I can't use the cell shading textures 😢

mendus

Go to "control panel->system and security-> check RAM memory and processor speed" and post the full name of the processor and the amount of RAM memory of the system.

Go to "control panel-> system and security->device manager->screen adapters" and post the device(s) that appear.

F

Fanatic 64

Also, you should stop using Windows 7 Beta and install a full operating system ASAP. Anything between Windows Vista and Windows 8 will do. By running a beta OS for so long you are exposing yourself to security threats and instability.

winter_mute

Galactic FREAK
Everything you just said May as well been written in Chinese. I can't understand a word of it. What I gathered from it was that my laptop doesn't have the hardware to run it at top end.
In this case, I would say that most likely, thing (graphic card/display adaptor), which is responsible for processing, storing and displaying graphic on your screen is not good enough to handle large amount of data generated by big (HD) desktop resolution, and high quality game textures. Simply enough?

Most laptops under 1000$ cant handle this right, without any settings tweaking... So, as other posted - please provide detailed information about your hardware, so PJ64 users could recommend optimal setup for it.

Last edited:

harvjones

In this case, I would say that most likely, thing (graphic card/display adaptor), which is responsible for processing, storing and displaying graphic on your screen is not good enough to handle large amount of data generated by big (HD) desktop resolution, and high quality game textures. Simply enough?

Most laptops under 1000$ cant handle this right, without any settings tweaking... So, as other posted - please provide detailed information about your hardware, so PJ64 users could recommend optimal setup for it.

Agree with that mostly hardware's driver are most likely not stable and many other factors causes can lead to this problem