What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Mario kart reloaded - issues

calvino

Hi everyone,

as mentionned in the official thread, i'm currently facing two issues with my retexturing project.

The first one is that some textures happen to be randomly flipping in places they shouldn't appear. The following pictures illustrate this problem:

bug1w.png

bug2tt.png

bug3a.png

(look closely at the yoshi ;))

I don't know what causes this problem, maybe some of you were confronted to this? If so, did you find a way to solve that problem?

The second problem might be more technical. My project works with the debug version of the plugin, but simply won't work with the release version. Not at the game startup, but when the hires textures appear on screen, I have the following error message that halts the game:

bugprod.png

Do you have a hint about that? (maybe the plugin programers could explain me in details what are the fundamental difference between debug and release, as I assumed that something working in debug would also work the same way in release). Is there a way to have the "stack trace" of the error, or at least to print messages in a file in release mode, to be able to track the source of the error? I suspect that it's related with some of the textures failing to load, since when I delete specific textures from the hires_textures folder, the map loads fine!

The second issue is less important to me than the first one, as I don't mind playing with the debug version. But it would for sure be better if my project works for both! :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
OP
C

calvino

nobody to help me on this?

the bug mentionned above occurs when I use DIRECTX.

Using OpenGL actually solves the bug, but there is another bug with OpenGL that will only occur in two maps of the game (moo moo farm & toad's turnpike). The bug is the following: when rendering the screen, there are some random polygons with a single color appearing on the screen, as in the next pictures:

pic1eb.jpg

pic2jfm.jpg

I also made a short video for both of the two maps (had to reduce the speed to make the bug appear clearly), it is available here and here

Is it a more common issue? Could you please help me to solve that, as I said, it's only for two maps of the game, but this shit is driving me insane :ala: . I will just give up with directX as I'm simply unable to find out what causes the problem of the first post :smurf:

OP
C

calvino

thanks for trying to help, NP4L!

I don't know exactly what is the GPU used, but I know that my graphics card is a geforce 8800 GTX with the latest vista 32 bits drivers installed

OP
C

calvino

maybe there is some screwy code in the plugin.

I think you are actually right on this, because when I use a really really outdated version of the plugin (Rice's Daedalus 5.2.0) in openGL, this bug DOESN T OCCUR !

Some modifications may have been done in the source of the plugin, but where? and when? It was maybe years ago, it won't be easy to find the part of code responsible for that behaviour :(

death--droid

GPU stands for Graphics Processing Unit which is the Graphics Card.
And it is most likely some screwy code :)

death--droid

mate! how can I fix it! I will be your best friend if you help me to solve it! I swear! =]

First problem looks as if its caused by a problem with texture id's getting mixed up.
Does this problem happpen without your modifications to the code?

OP
C

calvino

First problem looks as if its caused by a problem with texture id's getting mixed up.
Does this problem happpen without your modifications to the code?

nope, afaik it began with the modifications I made to the plugin, so it must be related for sure!

but I can't see why the bug would disappear when using opengl... if it was related to my code updates, shouldn't it impact BOTH dx & ogl? it just doesn't make sense to me!

Last edited:

microdev

it is! I posted it in the other thread (here), and it's also available as a tortoise patch here and here

microdev! you are my last chance (with dd)! I will be your best friend if you sort this mess out! I swear! :party:
thanks. I will have a look at it. The only problem is that I didn't have any time the last months. So it might take a little bit till I get a chance.

OP
C

calvino

thanks. I will have a look at it. The only problem is that I didn't have any time the last months. So it might take a little bit till I get a chance.

no matter how long it will take ; I will look forward to it like a graal :d

lewa

Oh man it'd be AWESOME if this made it into the 1964 plugin or something. We could even fine tune it to smooth out animations...

OP
C

calvino

@Calvino at least your not using my version of 1964Video

I don't know, I originally grabbed the source code from here:

http://code.google.com/p/emu-1964/

I have GOOD NEWS though! I found a way to get rid of that f***ing texture bug! the problem actually laid in the RECYCLING of the textures! I didn't know such process occured behind the stage, but it seems that a texture cache entry can be reused for ANOTHER texture. And since I wasn't clearing the alternative textures info when this occured, some textures that initially had no alternative textures could end up with some, as the cache entries weren't cleared properly!

I brought a modification in:

void CTextureManager::RecycleTexture(TxtrCacheEntry *pEntry);

And now everything seems to work fine. Cheers! :party:

Last edited: