What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Making Hi-res Textures...discusion thread

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi Mode,

Ignore him.

Our threads should be cleaned up soon.

So, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, having fun with learning about retexturing.

How is your "Last" tut of your trilogy coming along?

Later,
Jay

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi guys, one question witch resolution you usually work? Of cource its for each texture and game varios. But i just want to know what your usuall style ;)

For me personally i like 4x!

Your answer can be found in the "Note:" after "Step 2" of the "Grass & Dirt 1" tutorial here: Making Hi-res Textures...community tutorial thread

There is more I would like to share with you, but take a look at that first and bounce your questions off of me again once you have given that tut a good read and try. ;)

I'm not quite sure why you needed to react so strongly gitech...

You understand now right? :pirate: :jason: :nuke: :alien:

In any case, I wish mudlord all the best with whatever he goes on to do from here...I'm sorry for whatever has happened to him to bring him to this... :down:

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
thank you a lot gitech. As a newbie to retexturing i can say, thats such a great think.
That i learning swift, one big reason si that mode really helping me a lot with "RAT und TAT"^^ sorry, do not know how i can say this in english.

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
you will have to paint it in there
Also a snake eye does not have the white stuff around.

no problem the white stuff will be removet.

bu how i can paint it in there? i mean whe i paint you can see still the other round black one.. ahm fuck i cannot say it propably in english *G*

Das Ding sit, das die schwarze Pupile, zu groß ist. Wenn ich es mit meiner neuen Zeichnung überklappe schauen Teile noch heraus, wenn ich das neue (eclipse) größer Mache wirkt es zu Rund und zu dick bzw zu groß.

and i have also an problem with this *G*

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7145/mortalkombat464da668720vp2.png

i have a new texture made but now i have to transform the black lines, but whe i work with the line tool, it looks not similar and without shadows, so tell me plz whats the best way to do this? I Nead this "Muster" on my new texture.

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Sure, no problem. ;)

I will make a video tutorial for you.

How's this?

Can you put it in the game and show us what it looks like with a pic? (I need to know too, so I can change it if necessary)

I use tinypic.com and paste in the " Code" into the text of my post.

[B]Original:[/B]
[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2uoorph.jpg

Hires:
28ja6b7.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
lol i am sitting for hours on this, no finish yet and it looks not so good like this o_O

how you do this? teach be big master! :)

mom i will put it ingame but first i have to make food, i am very hungry ^^

Greets Wolna.

Man this looks so amesome ineed to know this stuff. DAMN!

edit:
@mode this lines in german belong to snake eye sry i miss the thread *G*

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
:)

I was just taking a video of me doing the texture again for the tutorial and photoshop crashed on me.

This causes me many problems as I had a lot of textures open that I was working on. :(

I will have a tutorial done for you by later today or tomorrow.

Quick hints:
Blending mode - Multiply... ;)
Make MANY layers, and use shadows in "creative" ways.

For now maybe you would like to look at post #83 here: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=43535&page=9

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
The link is to page 9 of my Casltlevania LOD Texture Pack WIP thread.

It works for me. Strange.

Can you find it on the forum yourself? It is on the forums' page 2 because there has not been any posts in a while. ;)

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
mini_tut_02.jpg

Hope this helps you all think differently on how you make your textures. Only took 30 minutes to make.

Last edited:
OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi xeno,

Very nice! What programs, plugins or techniques did you use to create the overlay patterns?

BTW: I have a Video of me doing the one I did uploading now. :)

Jay

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Hi guys,

Ok, here it is: :)

Download: Video Tutorial for a Mortal Kombat Texture

The video is speed up 1.5 times to make it under 10 min for youtube. Actual time to make this texture while taking the video was 15 min.

Also, I am mostly going to the menu to do things I usually do with keyboard shortcuts like Copy, Paste, Transform, and Undo/Redo...to show you what I am doing.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Also, here is the Photoshop .psd file so you can follow along or use the textures contained within for your own retexturing efforts:

Download: mortalkombat464da668720vp2.psd

Enjoy,
Jay

This is the texture from making the video and the one that is in the .psd file download above. I did the one on the last page quick just to see what would work for this texture and make a quick post. Then I made this one while making the video. It's (slightly) different and I like it better.

2r79e8l.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
thx you all for your help, thats very amazing.

xeno how you do the greyscale pattern? meaby yo have the pds file for the green texture?

@gitech thanks for the video tutorial that will make my work much better and easier.

Last edited:

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
Gitech
I'm really impressed, here on the board are really helpful people, thank you.

how did you learned this technologie? i like it very much is fast and effective.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
Thanks Wolna,

No problem. :)

I learned it by experimenting in photoshop and lots of trial and error. I discovered most of my current techniques after I had already done about 2000 textures, and was ~80% finished with my Castlevania LOD pack (first version v1.1).

That's why I started re-doing my CLOD pack again from the beginning, so I could apply my "new" techniques throughout the whole game. It is quite an undertaking to do the whole game again but I am very happy to do it.

I like the techniques I use because it keeps the original look of the game as true as possible while still producing incredible results. As you can see it requires quite a bit of custom hand work to "fix up" the original textures and get a good finished look and I have a great sense of pride for every texture that comes out looking great.

New tip: In the video above: The use of taking a line from one of the layers and using it to make the "grout lines" between the tiles was something new for me. It was the first time I did that. Most textures (for CLOD) do not have such straight lines. So here is the tip for more irregular textures:

Create a new layer (Shift/Ctrl-N) above the "original" texture layer and use the paint brush with the color "black" to touch up the original textures by hand. (Try using Gaussian blur on this type of hand work as well ;) It's how I make soft detail for thing like character faces and other soft shadows)

Take a look at this .psd for an example: CASTLEVANIA2#7823A168#2#0#B22E9B74_ciByRGBA - First Wall .psd

Another tip related to the .psd above: I make these .psd files all the time so I can:

1. Keep a backup with layers un-merged.
2. Make changes later on if I change my mind about the look or finish.
3. Use it as a convenient place to get the "hires" texture layers again for use with other textures that are related to it in game, especially if I did anything custom to them such as hue/saturation/brightness/contrast/photo filter/etc... changes to them for the particular "location" they are used in game.

Also, I have followed several photoshop tutorials I found on Google and that has taught me other techniques that I now use. Two of them are on how to make your own fire and lightning, and I am very proud of my work with those textures in my pack.

Later,
Jay

Mr.Wolna

FalloutNow! ***erator
Fire? I think i will need fire, too ;)

but now i think i hhave to learning by doing. We will se if i can figured out my own style. I am very hapy to be an member if emutalk. An also an beginnig n 64 Artist ;)

thanks for the help dear community.

OP
G

gitech

N64 Artist
There are tons of good tuts for fire on google.

Once you make a fire you are happy with...If you need to animate the fire, learn how to make layers animate in photoshop (also on google), and use the "Filter - Liquify" (Shift-Ctrl-X) to make each frame different by hand.

This is how I did the fire in my CLOD pack.

You will also need to find out the display order of the fire textures' animation in-game. I use a method of creating a master "patterned" texture that is very easy to see change with the frames of animation. Once I get the animation in order I will also take a screenshot of the file names so I have record for use when I am ready to replace them with the frames of animation that I have made...such as fire. I use this technique for all the animated textures I have to do like water and lava.

Below are some pics I took while dong one of them so you can see.

I am glad you are off to a good start! It sounds like you are taking off your training wheels! ;)

I can't wait to see what you come up with and I hope to see many posts here from you in the time to come.

Everyone: We need more activity on our forum! So...if you are a member here and just hover in the background most of the time...I ask you on behalf of the health of our community to make even short posts to keep our community a Live and Vibrant one! :)

Have fun,
Jay

The folder in "Thumbnail" view:
143hohw.jpg

The folder in "Details" view:
207vrrl.jpg

Last edited: