What's new

4.4.0 Shots for Opengl 1.1

Some cards automatically switch back to 16 bit with some games. I still remember my old Ati rage pro with return to castle wolfenstein. It says it uses 32 bit, but it's using 16 bit.

Edit: Oh, you mean geforce2? You maybe need to clean up your glasses! :D

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
I'm not wearing glasses :doh:
Can you post somewhere 2 screenshots, where the difference between 16 and 32bit mode is clearly visible?

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
Do you play Playstation games via emulation sometimes?

The most obvious difference is in the video sequences of Final Fantasy games.

Just wait a moment and I'll send you an example...

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
This was taken in 32Bit mode (and you should set your desktop colour depth to 32Bit, too :saint: )

Gonetz

Do you play Playstation games via emulation sometimes?
Are we talking about Playstation games here? No, we are talking about N64 games. My statement: in N64 games the difference between 32 and 16bit rendering is hardly visible. Your shots prove nothing - in any modern PC game 32bit rendering is noticeably better. But not in case of N64 games.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Gonetz said:
Are we talking about Playstation games here? No, we are talking about N64 games. My statement: in N64 games the difference between 32 and 16bit rendering is hardly visible. Your shots prove nothing - in any modern PC game 32bit rendering is noticeably better. But not in case of N64 games.

Story: One day, I went to play Super Smash Brothers, but I looked at it and thought "Damn, this looks crappy. I wonder if anything's wrong?". I stopped the game and checked the graphics settings. Turns out I had accidentally set full screen to 16-bit colour instead of 32-bit colour and all of the smooth textures were being dithered instead of being truely smooth.

Moral of the story: 32-bit colour does make a difference in N64 emulation. Probably a big difference in some games. I can't imagine Resident Evil 2's FMV sequences looking too good in 16-bit colour...

Gonetz

Moral of the story: 32-bit colour does make a difference in N64 emulation.
No, moral is: do not use 16bit rendering for cards which can't do it right :) Super Smash Brothers does not use 32bit textures at all, nor for background, not for anything else. Color textures are 16bit RGBA or 8bit CI. They should not be dithered.

OK, since most of video cards can do 32bit rendering, why don't use it. However, support of 16bit would be nice too :)

F-3582

Sorry, I had to...
Did you ever heard about G-shaded polygons? The Rainbow in Mario64 for example is G-Shaded. Just zoom in to make it fill the complete screen - trust me, you WILL see the difference.

BTW: It doesn't matter whether there's a PSX game FMV or a N64 game scene - the colours are always the same.