What's new

Want a new CPU and mainboard

Clements

bcrew1375 said:
What I'm saying is will all mainboards fit in all cases? The case I have now is fairly old and I doubt it would hold a newer mainboard.

You'll need a Full ATX case if you wish to buy a standard S939 motherboard, such as a DFI. Midi Towers and the like are a bit too small for the motherboard to fit.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
As long as they are built for ATX, the motherboard will fit. I have midi tower myself and the motherboard fits perfectly. I mean, hey, the case is even a little too big for the motherboard, so it definetly fits.

BoggyB

If the back of the computer has a rectangular metal plate with all the sockets (PS/2, USB, sound, etc.) on it, then it's probably ATX. Next, check the number of expansion slots. If you've only got 3 or 4 slots for expansion (PCI/AGP) cards, then it's probably only Mini-ATX and full-size ATX baords won't fit.

There's a couple of newer standards like BTX and ITX, so watch out for them when you look for a motherboard as I don't think they're compatible with ATX.

Doomulation

When shopping for a case, just make it sure it supports ATX. It should be listed. If not, then ask, or look for another case. Doesn't matter if it supports multiple standard, just it needs to support the standard of your motherboard, which usually is ATX. You can check that, too.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Clements said:
Here is a GREAT comparison of Opterons, dual-core Opterons, Athlon64s and Athlon64 X2 processors in the budget range, with Intel processors thrown in. You can see that Opterons have no issue keeping up with Athlon64s in gaming.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2736&p=9

The Opteron 144 is a single core, and 165 is a dual-core CPU.

All dual-core Opterons come with 1MB cache, therefore there is no equivalent Opteron to the Athlon64 X2 3800/4200/4600+. The Opteron 165 runs at 1.8GHz, and the Opteron 170 runs at 2.0GHz. The performance of the Athlon64 X2 3800+ will lie somewhere between the two on average.

The Opteron 165 has more overclocking potential over stock than the 3800+. If you are not overclocking, the performance of the two are roughly equivalent, as the Opteron 165 has double the cache, but the X2 3800+ is 200MHz faster.

I've seen other tests where the opty got beaten...

Clements

arnalion said:
I've seen other tests where the opty got beaten...

Well, you must have misinterpreted the data. They perform identically at the same clocks+cache sizes since they are virtually identical processors. This is an undisputable fact. If you look at the Anandtech bench, they perform in the same range, which is to be expected.

Clements

That benchmark does not show that Opterons are slower at all. A single frame difference does not mean faster of slower, they are within the margins of error.

Opteron 165 is not directly equivalent to the Athlon64 3800+. Different clockspeeds and different amounts of cache. Not comparable.

Opteron 180 is equivalent to the X2 4800+. The perform exactly the same in pretty much every test Tech Report did. Battlefield 2 minimum framerate is the only anomally.

Saying that the performance of Opterons and X2/Athlon64's are different at equivalent speeds/cache is a complete and utter myth. The architecture is the same, the only significant difference is that Opterons undergo a tougher selection process so are higher quality, and that they have 3 coherent HT links instead of 1 like the Athlon64/X2. This actually works in the Opterons favour.

Last edited:
OP
B

bcrew1375

I've been looking through alot of the mainboards on NewEgg, and I'm wondering if I might just be able to use my old case. Unfortunately, it only has a 300W power supply, and I'm thinking that might not be enough :/. However, my case has about 7 expansion slots and looks like it could hold those boards. I don't really care about overclocking. I'd prefer a board that can support the Athlon X2 and has 4 PCI slots. I saw a few from companies like MSI and Foxconn, but I didn't much like the reviews they got, I heard they are picky or burn out quickly. I might be asking for too much. Any help is appreciated.

Doomulation

I have no idea how old your case is, or if it supports the new standard, like ATX. Your BEST bet would be to get a new one. A 300W power supply is not enough for today's high end systems. You should have a 400W minimum. Although you should be able to change it in your case.
When buying a new case, if you must, you can also choose one without a PSU and get a good PSU on the side.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Clements said:
That benchmark does not show that Opterons are slower at all. A single frame difference does not mean faster of slower, they are within the margins of error.

Opteron 165 is not directly equivalent to the Athlon64 3800+. Different clockspeeds and different amounts of cache. Not comparable.

Opteron 180 is equivalent to the X2 4800+. The perform exactly the same in pretty much every test Tech Report did. Battlefield 2 minimum framerate is the only anomally.

Saying that the performance of Opterons and X2/Athlon64's are different at equivalent speeds/cache is a complete and utter myth. The architecture is the same, the only significant difference is that Opterons undergo a tougher selection process so are higher quality, and that they have 3 coherent HT links instead of 1 like the Athlon64/X2. This actually works in the Opterons favour.

I just wanted to show that the 180 got beaten with 0-2 FPS :p in some games, compared to the 4800+.

Clements

Single digit (0-2fps or under 3%) 'victories' are within the margins of error for this type of bench, and so are counted as ties. Afterall, a benchmark is a scientific test.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
I have no idea how old your case is, or if it supports the new standard, like ATX. Your BEST bet would be to get a new one. A 300W power supply is not enough for today's high end systems. You should have a 400W minimum. Although you should be able to change it in your case.
When buying a new case, if you must, you can also choose one without a PSU and get a good PSU on the side.

Well Doom, I know that my PC is not so good as yours, but it runs pretty fine with a 350 Watts PSU without any problems, 400 Watts is required for a very high-end PC like Doomulation one

Doomulation

Perhaps... but it isn't necessarily a bad thing to have either in case you upgrade later. Then you could state that the power supply should be 350W+.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Ugh, I am really reluctant to buy any of these boards. Is there any purpose to PCI-E x16 other than video cards?

Edit: Actually, it seems this board suits what I need pretty well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813136160 It doesn't have 4 PCI slots like I wanted, but looks like a nice board otherwise. The only thing making me uneasy is some people stating it doesn't support some older HDs. I'm hoping a BIOS update would fix that if it's true. Now I need a case. Just something with no frills that can hold the board. Is that board considered a Full ATX?

Last edited:

Clements

bcrew1375 said:
Is there any purpose to PCI-E x16 other than video cards?

Not really, but I'm pretty sure it supports any PCI-E device (only a few exist though, such as RAID/LAN cards which a mobo would generally have built-in).

bcrew1375 said:
Edit: Actually, it seems this board suits what I need pretty well. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813136160 It doesn't have 4 PCI slots like I wanted, but looks like a nice board otherwise. The only thing making me uneasy is some people stating it doesn't support some older HDs. I'm hoping a BIOS update would fix that if it's true.

Yah. It looks like it doesn't support ATA133 IDE hard drives (odd, my nForce2 and current nForce3 board supported those). Not an issue if your existing drives are ATA100 and you want SATA drives if you want to upgrade further down the line. I personally would avoid this board and get an DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D if you don't want SLi.

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Doomulation said:
If by 'new standard' you mean like 8 years old ;). ATX has been around for a looong time. The new style is BTX form-factor but there aren't a lot of those (motherboards and cases) out. Your case should be fine. Just get a new, reliable powersupply from Enermax/Antec/etc -- don't buy a cheap no-name one. A good 350W brand-name PSU > no-name 450W PSU.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Clements said:
Not really, but I'm pretty sure it supports any PCI-E device (only a few exist though, such as RAID/LAN cards which a mobo would generally have built-in).

Yah. It looks like it doesn't support ATA133 IDE hard drives (odd, my nForce2 and current nForce3 board supported those). Not an issue if your existing drives are ATA100 and you want SATA drives if you want to upgrade further down the line. I personally would avoid this board and get an DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D if you don't want SLi.

The main reason I was looking at this one was price, and I want at least 3 PCI slots. I wanted 4, but it looks like I'll have to go with 3. Here's the DFI page for it: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3510&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US
It claims to support ATA133. I was worried about it not supporting older hard disks.

Doomulation

zAlbee said:
If by 'new standard' you mean like 8 years old ;). ATX has been around for a looong time. The new style is BTX form-factor but there aren't a lot of those (motherboards and cases) out. Your case should be fine. Just get a new, reliable powersupply from Enermax/Antec/etc -- don't buy a cheap no-name one. A good 350W brand-name PSU > no-name 450W PSU.
Indeed, but there is older than ATX and BTX has not really had a breakthrough yet.

OP
B

bcrew1375

Can anyone recommend a cheap case that would go well with that board? Also, what kind of video card should I get? I was thinking of going with Nvidia.